GX9

Equable

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rod
I recently looked at this camera, and thought the specs looked really attractive. Then I read that IBIS was regarded as a bit of an issue especially after a panasonic firmware update. I would be interested to hear what owners think, the pictures always look excellent posted on here, but I would like to know your thoughts, including those thoughts on low light performance.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I recently looked at this camera, and thought the specs looked really attractive. Then I read that IBIS was regarded as a bit of an issue especially after a panasonic firmware update. I would be interested to hear what owners think, the pictures always look excellent posted on here, but I would like to know your thoughts, including those thoughts on low light performance.
Please provide a cite. I have never heard that, nor experienced it.

Equable

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rod
Well obviously @Brownie you believe the old adage that a picture paints a thousand words. That in itself is quite reassuring, but having read reports from several, admittedly early, owners of IBIS issues, I thought I would enquirer further. Where better than here?
I wonder if the three or four contributors who complained were all unfortunate in having purchased defective units, especially as they allegedly became worse, after the firmware update avoided by one of our own contributors.
Perhaps this was something quietly fixed by Panasonic going forward?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Well, exactly. I can tell you all day I've never had an issue but the proof is in the pudding. As to the rest of your questions, having not even heard of this until today I can't help. However, I would point out that this thread had 101 posts from users before it was mentioned and I don't recall any complaints. I also trust people here well more than DPR.

Lastly, I did a search in here and found this one. Kind of an oddball, but he did experience IBIS issues. Please do not try this at home...

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/gx9-weird-stabilisation-issue-solved.107375/

Equable

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rod
Thanks @Brownie, the GX9 still looks relevant, capable, and is now very attractively priced. Like most on here, I do my homework when researching a potential purchase and agree about trusting the opinions of people here. It was surprising ( pleasantly ),
to find no one on here had experienced the problem with their own camera.
Thank you all for your responses.

Tili

New to Mu-43
I have a GX9 (love it to bits) and IBIS works fine. I can see it working when shooting video (no jittery shakes, etc..) and can take long-ish exposures fine when taking pictures.

My biggest issue with the camera is autofocus.. but it's not a deal breaker.

SamMShone

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Sam Shone
As a long time GX80 & GX8 user I recently decided to pick up a GX9. Just took it on its maiden voyage to a holiday in France and I loved it. Handling feels identical to GX80 which is fine by me! Here are a couple of images using the Pana-Leica 25mm F1.4 and the Pana-Leica 15mm F1.7. These lenses and this camera are a match made in heaven for me!

annecy_2020-439.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
annecy_2020-815.jpg

annecy_2020-483.jpg
annecy_2020-924.jpg

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom