GX9

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I've taken up a photo-a-day challenge on another site (our comrade Cameraderie.org) and am restricting myself to using the GX9 along with a prime. Lately it's been the Sigma 30mm f1.4, which I am shooting wide open as much as I can. Basically the idea is to get some images which look like they were shot with a film rangefinder with a B&W film like Ilford HP5. Liking the results so far.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Teljam

Mu-43 Regular
I took a couple of b&w shots just before our lockdown - Wellington NZ

I've been tossing around a small body as a backup to my G9, and an EDC instead of the P-N-S I use now. I like the P-N-S well enough but would prefer an ILC.

I have read all of the GX9 threads, especially those comparing it to the GX8. It looks like most people have their preferences due to specific features, but the one thing that keeps popping up is small the EVF. Since I've never held a GX9 I have no frame of reference. What I do have is a G7, so I thought I'd look up the EVH's. I am surprised at how similar they are. In fact, size-wise they are very similar. The G7 has much higher resolution for sure, but the magnification is virtually identical.

For this use, I prefer the smaller size and the lack of the anti aliasing filter. Not sure if I should even consider the fixed shutter shock since some say isn't really an issue on the GX8. The lack of weather sealing in this case doesn't bother me.

GX9:
Tilting 2760k-dot equivalent (field sequential) LCD, 1.39x / 0.70x (35mm eq.) magnification, 17.5mm eyepoint, -4 to +3 diopter, eye sensor
Focus Peaking
920,000 dots resolution
Viewfinder Magnification (35mm Equiv) 0.70X
Viewfinder Magnification (nominal/Claimed) 1.39X

G7:
2,360K-dot OLED, 100% coverage, 1.4x / 0.7x (35mm eq.) magnification, 17.5mm eyepoint, -4 to +4 diopter, eye sensor
Focus Peaking
2,360,000 dots resolution
Viewfinder Magnification (35mm Equiv) 0.70X
Viewfinder Magnification (nominal/Claimed) 1.40X

Given all of that, I think I'd be quite happy with the GX9. I might have an advantage in that I've never compared it to the GX8, a clear case of ignorance is bliss!
I upgraded from GX7 to GX9 (used) in December, and then also got a GX8 (used) a month later to compare and choose one. I loved my GX7 until I saw the files from the GX9, and immediately sold ol' faithful. The GX8 is a joy to use, but I LOATHE the articulated screen, and consider the GX9 files to be better. For now, I'm keeping both, as the market has fallen out of used camera sales for some reason, right when I have a few I'd like to sell!

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I just bit. KEH had a used silver in Exc + condition with a sale going. It is supposed to be here Thursday.

A question: The battery is listed as the DMW-BLG10. I did a search for aftermarket batteries on Amazon and have seen both it and the BLE9 show up as the correct battery. They have similar specs in both V and mAH. Both also show up as batteries for the ZS-70.

I already have a pair of Wasabi DMW-BLE9 batteries and a charger that I bought for my ZS-70. Has anyone tried them in lieu of the BLG10?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
The BLE9 works, I think it has a little less capacity than the 10. I ran the same combo of batteries in the GX85 if I recall aright. The 9 is the GX7 battery.
Thanks. A little less capacity doesn't matter for my use, it should be fine. At least I can try them for free and see if it's a problem.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
GX9 came today. The battery they sent is a BLE9! I called and complained, so they're sending me a BLG10. I did learn that unless the camera is listed as LN, they don't promise a Panny battery, but they at least sent a Wasabi.

On another note, the viewfinder is no where NEAR as bad as the complaints I've heard. I had not held one until today and fully expected to pack it up and return it. Nope, gonna' keep it.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
GX9 came today. The battery they sent is a BLE9! I called and complained, so they're sending me a BLG10. I did learn that unless the camera is listed as LN, they don't promise a Panny battery, but they at least sent a Wasabi.

On another note, the viewfinder is no where NEAR as bad as the complaints I've heard. I had not held one until today and fully expected to pack it up and return it. Nope, gonna' keep it.
Yeah thats why I said its very subjective and suggested you actually use one. I thought I would have been fine with it considering my limited time with a GX85 but alas...

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Had the chance to take it out yesterday. The view in the viewfinder doesn't bother me at all, but I do have a gripe. I found myself inadvertently moving the viewfinder while just shooting normally. It needs to lock in place. There should be a release, or at least a much stronger detent to keep it in the normal position. It's just something I'll need to get used to.

Panny naming convention are confusing. I stepped up from a Gx-8 to a G-9 . This was because it had so many manual controls, and discovered other things. What would you think the next step up would be? The G-10? I don't know what it is for but it has a 12 MP sensor. Ridiculous.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Panny naming convention are confusing. I stepped up from a Gx-8 to a G-9 . This was because it had so many manual controls, and discovered other things. What would you think the next step up would be? The G-10? I don't know what it is for but it has a 12 MP sensor. Ridiculous.
The G10 was released 10 years ago and has little to do with the current crop of cameras, other than evolution. I agree their naming conventions are confusing, and I suspect they regret giving the camera that designation so long ago.

Teljam

Mu-43 Regular
E60A52D2-0852-4724-B0CA-7F95B39FB656.jpeg

This was taken with the GX9 with PL 50-200. I was rapt with the shot, but what is amazing to me is how sharp it turned out considering it was blowing a gale up on the hill I took it from. I had to sit down so as not to be blown over. Thank goodness for dual IS!!😀

cluber77

Mu-43 Regular
I have the GX80 and I’m loving it, I just don’t like the 1080P output of the camera, it’s soft, I believe that in Gx9 it’s better, and the 16 mp vs the 20 on the Gx9
Anyway, if I’m going to buy another camera it will be the G9 that will replace my Canon 70D
For traveling in think that the GX80 it’s Amazing.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I'm back to my L monochrome D in-camera processing. And a lot of tinkering in the garage.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have the GX80 and I’m loving it, I just don’t like the 1080P output of the camera, it’s soft, I believe that in Gx9 it’s better, and the 16 mp vs the 20 on the Gx9
Anyway, if I’m going to buy another camera it will be the G9 that will replace my Canon 70D
For traveling in think that the GX80 it’s Amazing.
It's the GX85's 1080 sample videos I saw that put me off from upgrading to it. It looked quite a bit softer than what I got from my GX7 which produced fine 1080 video, IMO. GX9's 1080 is fine as well.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom