GX9

angusr

Mu-43 Regular
While I agree with all of the sentiments above, the fact that you have both bought a G9 means Panasonic will be happy with their decision.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
While I agree with all of the sentiments above, the fact that you have both bought a G9 means Panasonic will be happy with their decision.
I'm not really sure how that's relevant. I have a collection of Panasonic m4/3 lenses, I'm most likely going to buy a Panasonic body to make best use of them. If I'm unhappy with available choices there's nothing stopping me from selling up, & moving on. Again

scott rawson

Mu-43 Veteran
Upgrade from gx80.. I'm happy with it
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I've been tossing around a small body as a backup to my G9, and an EDC instead of the P-N-S I use now. I like the P-N-S well enough but would prefer an ILC.

I have read all of the GX9 threads, especially those comparing it to the GX8. It looks like most people have their preferences due to specific features, but the one thing that keeps popping up is small the EVF. Since I've never held a GX9 I have no frame of reference. What I do have is a G7, so I thought I'd look up the EVH's. I am surprised at how similar they are. In fact, size-wise they are very similar. The G7 has much higher resolution for sure, but the magnification is virtually identical.

For this use, I prefer the smaller size and the lack of the anti aliasing filter. Not sure if I should even consider the fixed shutter shock since some say isn't really an issue on the GX8. The lack of weather sealing in this case doesn't bother me.

GX9:
Tilting 2760k-dot equivalent (field sequential) LCD, 1.39x / 0.70x (35mm eq.) magnification, 17.5mm eyepoint, -4 to +3 diopter, eye sensor
Focus Peaking
920,000 dots resolution
Viewfinder Magnification (35mm Equiv) 0.70X
Viewfinder Magnification (nominal/Claimed) 1.39X

G7:
2,360K-dot OLED, 100% coverage, 1.4x / 0.7x (35mm eq.) magnification, 17.5mm eyepoint, -4 to +4 diopter, eye sensor
Focus Peaking
2,360,000 dots resolution
Viewfinder Magnification (nominal/Claimed) 1.40X

Given all of that, I think I'd be quite happy with the GX9. I might have an advantage in that I've never compared it to the GX8, a clear case of ignorance is bliss!

scott rawson

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been tossing around a small body as a backup to my G9, and an EDC instead of the P-N-S I use now. I like the P-N-S well enough but would prefer an ILC.

I have read all of the GX9 threads, especially those comparing it to the GX8. It looks like most people have their preferences due to specific features, but the one thing that keeps popping up is small the EVF. Since I've never held a GX9 I have no frame of reference. What I do have is a G7, so I thought I'd look up the EVH's. I am surprised at how similar they are. In fact, size-wise they are very similar. The G7 has much higher resolution for sure, but the magnification is virtually identical.

For this use, I prefer the smaller size and the lack of the anti aliasing filter. Not sure if I should even consider the fixed shutter shock since some say isn't really an issue on the GX8. The lack of weather sealing in this case doesn't bother me.

GX9:
Tilting 2760k-dot equivalent (field sequential) LCD, 1.39x / 0.70x (35mm eq.) magnification, 17.5mm eyepoint, -4 to +3 diopter, eye sensor
Focus Peaking
920,000 dots resolution

G7:
2,360K-dot OLED, 100% coverage, 1.4x / 0.7x (35mm eq.) magnification, 17.5mm eyepoint, -4 to +4 diopter, eye sensor
Focus Peaking

Given all of that, I think I'd be quite happy with the GX9. I might have an advantage in that I've never compared it to the GX8, a clear case of ignorance is bliss!
I had the GX8... Nice image maker.. To me god awful looks and size (I use system because of its smaller size) GX8 ain't.. Had a gx80 and was very happy... But missed the flip up evf... And regardless of all the negative comments it feels nicer.. Better built and so far images and colour are better in my opinion to the gx80... Upgrading cost me £80...so a bargain as far as I'm concerned

GX9:
Focus Peaking
920,000 dots resolution

G7:
Focus Peaking

I've had a g7 before and currently own a gx85. While the two may have similar looking paper stats, the evf on the gx85 which is the same as the one in the gx7 and gx9 is one of my least favorites to use.
Main reason because only the center is the sharpest point and everything else is soft making knowing whether you are in focus is hard. Yet even the center is not that sharp, even with the diopter being set correctly. Then the viewfinder is in 16:9 widescreen which is great for video but not for stills as you'll have to Black boxes on either side.
The contrast is also terrible and had a very hard time in darker scenes. And the icing on the cake is the color tearing. I know that some people see it and others don't but I can and it happens when you scan your eyes left or right fast enough that you can see it. Not pretty.
What I don't get is why Panasonic can't use a small proper evf like Olympus did with their pen f. Even Fuji did the same with the x-e3.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran

You need to remember that the GX7/85/9 use a 16:9 panel for their EVF. So when it's set to display 4:3 its even smaller.

I've been shooting with a GX7 which I bought close to when it was first released and I also bought a GX9 this summer. I've also had an EM5.2 and currently have a G85. I can definitely see that the GX EVF is inferior but that doesn't hamper my enjoyment or ability to compose with the camera. I don't see the colour tearing unless I purposely try to induce it. I quite like the GX form factor and price vs performance. I think it's a great camera. I just bought a G9 this weekend but I know the GX will still be responsible for half of my photos due to its small size and flip up rear screen which makes it great for street photography. I got the G9 for the more technical stuff (4K @ 60fps, fast AF, high res, etc).

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
I bought the GX9 in the summer and immediately started configuring its Quick Menu and Func buttons (hard and soft) to kind of match up to my G85 and GX7. I was aware of its major feature points (4K video, much better IBIS than my GX7, new menu layout) so I didn't bother to read the user manual in detail. Cut to 6 mos. later when I made a couple of surprising discoveries.

1. Minimum Shutter Speed
    I shoot in Aperture Priority mode and Auto ISO and have run into situations where I wished the camera would use a slower shutter speed to rely on IBIS and use a lower ISO. Other times (eg: street photography) I would prefer it to use a higher shutter speed to freeze action and I don't care if it boosts ISO. With my GX7 and G85 I usually dealt with this by switching to manual selection of the ISO to drive the shutter up or down.
    But it suddenly occurred to me that if I assigned this Min SS parameter to a Func button, I could get the same result while still allowing the camera to choose a higher shutter speed or lower ISO as conditions allowed. This would be more convenient that choosing a specific ISO.
  2. IS Lock
    I read about and saw examples of this feature with regards to the GH5 (and G9). It basically provides even more video stabilization if you're shooting a scene where you are not purposely moving the camera. (https://fstoppers.com/gear/why-lock-panasonic-gh5-so-important-247527)
    Today, while I was re-configuring a couple of Func buttons to match the operation of my new G9, I was surprised to see that IS Lock was available on the GX9, too! I don't remember seeing any post that mentioned that feature on this camera. Wow.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've currently have a GX8, G85 and G9. But I've had a G7 and a GX9 and used a GX80.

At first I loved the GX9, /w the grip it was small and comfortable to use. But that EVF uggh. I got spoiled by all the other EVF's in the system so I always want to do review etc in the EVF but the one in my GX9 was useless for that since no matter my diopter setting a part of the screen was always fuzzy just like @Tool Crazy found with his. I found other poeple who complained of the same symptoms so It didn't seem to affect everyone so I would STRONGLY suggest that you try one out for a day or two before you commit to it. It was a great little camera but the EVF experience was so unpleasant it became my least used body until I sold it.

mpeg

4/3 Activist...
Real Name
Gordo
gx9 with 20mmf1.7 getting used to it.. !!

PeterVD

New to Mu-43
I just bought a GX9 with 12-32mm F/3.5-5.6 this week.
First try-outs while walking the dog and I am happy with both of them.

Landscape mode in camera

Close-up 20 cm (8 inches) at 32mm in windy conditions - handheld.

Real Name
Mike Peters
I loved the GX9, everything except the viewfinder. I never felt I could truly see what I was making a picture of, and that was the deal breaker for me. So I sold it and went back to a GX8. I prefer the IBIS and minimum shutter speed settings and all that, but a viewfinder that makes me feel half blind just doesn't work for me. I do hope that the GX10 has a better viewfinder.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I loved the GX9, everything except the viewfinder. I never felt I could truly see what I was making a picture of, and that was the deal breaker for me. So I sold it and went back to a GX8. I prefer the IBIS and minimum shutter speed settings and all that, but a viewfinder that makes me feel half blind just doesn't work for me. I do hope that the GX10 has a better viewfinder.
That's the same problem I had, I got so used to the excellent viewfinders in the GX8, G85 and G9 that I felt I was shooting blind with the GX9. Was a very frustrating experience. I really liked the small body for those times I wanted to go tiny but in the end it wasn't worth it.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I've never tried the X9 or the X85, but I'm confused on this EVF issue. If you ask people how they feel about the X85, they love it. Wonderful camera, takes excellent photos. The viewfinder rarely comes up, if at all. Ask people about the X9 and they complain about the EVF. Reviews say they are essentially the same.

Are they the same?

Andy H.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've never tried the X9 or the X85, but I'm confused on this EVF issue. If you ask people how they feel about the X85, they love it. Wonderful camera, takes excellent photos. The viewfinder rarely comes up, if at all. Ask people about the X9 and they complain about the EVF. Reviews say they are essentially the same.

Are they the same?
Yeppers! Only difference is the GX9 VF tilts upward 90 degrees (if desired).
BTW - they are both totally usable for me, though I prefer the GX8 VF.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Yeppers! Only difference is the GX9 VF tilts upward 90 degrees (if desired).
BTW - they are both totally usable for me, though I prefer the GX8 VF.
Thanks. So, is the dislike a product of the X9 being an 'upgrade' to the X8 (even though it really isn't), and it feels like a step backwards?

My local shop carries neither. I'm thinking about a rangefinder style to use as a EDC and backup. I am leaning X9, but don't want to make an expensive mistake. I do wear glasses.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom