GX9+Manual lens: cannot change EC in Manual mode?

frank28

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi guys,

When I use Mitakon 25mm 0.95 or any other manual focus lens on GX9, I find that there's no way to change Exposure Compensation from Q menu or by any button in M mode, only when I change to A mode, and from there I could change EC. I assign EC to back dial button and setting Auto ISO. If I mount any autofocus lens, it just works as expected. Is there any setting I'm missing, or it's a known limit of GX9? I know of cause that I could change ISO instead of EC in M mode, but in that way, I could only change EC in the range of +-3, plus it's inconvenient for someone like me who gets used to putting ISO setting on Auto. How do you resolve this problem when using MF lens?

Thanks!

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I gave this a try tonight and couldn't figure out how to do it.

leuallen

Mu-43 Regular
EC in manual mode make no sense at all. If you want the exposure to be .7 more simply crank up the exposure. Now things change, you must meter again after all it is manual. If you want .7 more simply crank it up. It is not auto like aperture where exposure compensation makes sense. I can not think of an example that would explain it clearly, but what you want to do makes no sense. You are asking for an auto-manual mode, then it is not manual. You can bias the overall exposure if you like. Say from experience you determine that all of your exposures when set to +/-0 are a third of a stop too dark. You can adjust the meter so that it gives a third of a stop more exposures at +/-0. That applies to all modes and is not EC, it is adjusting the meter to be where you want. This is not what you want. In 50 years of using camera I have never had to do this.

If you want EC, use aperture . There is nothing magical about manual. It does not signify a superior photographer because he uses manual. There are uses for manual say for example you are taking a multi shot panorama. If you use aperture the exposure may change as the camera is moved, not what you want. In that case, use manual to lock down the exposure. I use aperture for most exposures, going to manual when it makes sense.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
EC in manual mode make no sense at all. If you want the exposure to be .7 more simply crank up the exposure. Now things change, you must meter again after all it is manual. If you want .7 more simply crank it up. It is not auto like aperture where exposure compensation makes sense. I can not think of an example that would explain it clearly, but what you want to do makes no sense. You are asking for an auto-manual mode, then it is not manual. You can bias the overall exposure if you like. Say from experience you determine that all of your exposures when set to +/-0 are a third of a stop too dark. You can adjust the meter so that it gives a third of a stop more exposures at +/-0. That applies to all modes and is not EC, it is adjusting the meter to be where you want. This is not what you want. In 50 years of using camera I have never had to do this.

If you want EC, use aperture . There is nothing magical about manual. It does not signify a superior photographer because he uses manual. There are uses for manual say for example you are taking a multi shot panorama. If you use aperture the exposure may change as the camera is moved, not what you want. In that case, use manual to lock down the exposure. I use aperture for most exposures, going to manual when it makes sense.

Manual Mode with Auto-ISO is why people might want the EC. Personally when I'm photographing something like family indoors, I use it. This way I can just shoot with a given shutter speed and fully open aperture, and not have to change ISO at all, not caring about some noise.

The problem without EC is that ISO will be fully automatic, and it can give too dark or bright images. Having an EC dial in this situation gives very fast way to adjust the image to what you want.

Basically as someone said earlier and if I remember correctly, it doesn't adjust the exposure, but is just a way to manually change the ISO to give optimal results in a given situation, while using Auto-ISO. Fine-tuning you might say.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Manual Mode with Auto-ISO is why people might want the EC. Personally when I'm photographing something like family indoors, I use it. This way I can just shoot with a given shutter speed and fully open aperture, and not have to change ISO at all, not caring about some noise.

The problem without EC is that ISO will be fully automatic, and it can give too dark or bright images. Having an EC dial in this situation gives very fast way to adjust the image to what you want.

Basically as someone said earlier and if I remember correctly, it doesn't adjust the exposure, but is just a way to manually change the ISO to give optimal results in a given situation, while using Auto-ISO. Fine-tuning you might say.
Perhaps the Minimum Shutter Speed setting can provide a close-enough solution? Use aperture priority exposure mode, set min shutter speed to whatever you're willing to put up with in terms of blur, and let the ISO auto adjust based on exp comp setting.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Perhaps the Minimum Shutter Speed setting can provide a close-enough solution? Use aperture priority exposure mode, set min shutter speed to whatever you're willing to put up with in terms of blur, and let the ISO auto adjust based on exp comp setting.

I don't have a problem with this as I have only one manual lens and that is a fisheye. This system works great with PEN-F & GX9 with my lenses.

Not sure if that would work with my E-M10 II, but adjusting minimum shutter speed from the menus surely doesn't seem like the fastest way to change it if needed, unlike in Manual Mode with the dials.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't have a problem with this as I have only one manual lens and that is a fisheye. This system works great with PEN-F & GX9 with my lenses.

Not sure if that would work with my E-M10 II, but adjusting minimum shutter speed from the menus surely doesn't seem like the fastest way to change it if needed, unlike in Manual Mode with the dials.
It would definitely be faster with dedicated controls but I don't find it to be too onerous. I press a Func button to bring up the Min Shutter Speed scale and then adjust it with a control dial. So a single button press more than a dedicated control.

frank28

Mu-43 Rookie
It would definitely be faster with dedicated controls but I don't find it to be too onerous. I press a Func button to bring up the Min Shutter Speed scale and then adjust it with a control dial. So a single button press more than a dedicated control.
In fact, this is the method that I am using to conquer this inconvenience, quicker for me to change directly ISO in manual mode.

I have asked the original question just to make sure if this is GX9 or me that missed some settings. Another reason is that I was considering buying another manual focus lens, Mitakon 17mm F0.95. However, because of the confirmed limit of GX9, I won't consider the manual lens anymore.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I thought this is what "constant Preview" was for. Shows the exposure changes in manual mode ?
But i have not tried this with a manual lens.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom