GX9 data cable

Real Name
Cata
Here is a quick question regarding downloading pictures without removing the card from its slot.

Owning a GX9 camera which I bought used, I am not sure it came with all accessories. My main concern now is that, using a "regular" USB cable (taken from a regular USB charger), I can charge the camera battery but I can't download the pictures from the camera's card. This is annoying for me since I have a grip attached to the camera (the original Panny grip for GX9 - which prevents me from accessing the battery/card door) and, on top of this, a PD standard plate which covers the grip's screw. Hence, for me to download the pictures from the camera, I need to unscrew first the PD plate (using an Allen key), then unscrew the grip's screw (using a coin), then I can open the bottom battery/card door. Quite a PITA.

So, do you know what sort of USB cable do I need for downloading the pictures directly from the camera?

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Here is a quick question regarding downloading pictures without removing the card from its slot.

Owning a GX9 camera which I bought used, I am not sure it came with all accessories. My main concern now is that, using a "regular" USB cable (taken from a regular USB charger), I can charge the camera battery but I can't download the pictures from the camera's card.

Chances are that the USB cable you took from a *very* cheap USB charger is anything but regular. Namely it contains only those two wires which are required for +5V charging power but none of the data lines.

Just any regular micro-USB cable will do. I mean regular, not "regular".

Real Name
Cata
Chances are that the USB cable you took from a *very* cheap USB charger is anything but regular. Namely it contains only those two wires which are required for +5V charging power but none of the data lines.

Just any regular micro-USB cable will do. I mean regular, not "regular".
Ok, but how do I recognize a regular cable from a "regular" one. Should it have those "thickened" ends? How do I know how many wires it contains? Would it reads "data cable"?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I don't think there is any way to recognize a "good" cable" from a charge-only one. I think you just have to try all the cables out that you have (or buy a new higher-quality one) and label them. That's what I do. For example, I managed to find the cable that originally came with my E-M5.3 (which I had been sloppy with and just threw in the drawer with a bunch of others). When I figured it out, I then put it in a little plastic bag. It's too bad you cannot easily tell, but you are correct in thinking that there are 2 types of cables, as @BDR-529 details.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ok, but how do I recognize a regular cable from a "regular" one. Should it have those "thickened" ends? How do I know how many wires it contains? Would it reads "data cable"?
If you buy any micro USB cable from a shop it's always a regular one.

Those charging-only cables are purchased by chines USB-charger manufacturers in bulk because charging needs two wires and they will save up to $0,01 by leaving out unnecessary data wires.

Of course you might just have a broken micro-USB cable but since you mentioned it came with a charger, chanches are that only two wires +5V and GND are connected.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom