GX880, first impressions and some output.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Having horsed around some months for a (semi) pocketable camera. I have looked at the GRIII, the Nikon Coolpix A and the Fujis X70 and XF10, but been a bit on the fence as to a fixed 28mm equivalent camera for a rather high price, so looking to "home base" for the smaller (and normally older) offerings.

I have been going back and forth trying to find the right one, buying a GX1 which had a peeling screen and a GF2, mostly due to it being used as a back lens cover for a 14mm f.2.5, oogling GX800s, GM1s and just missing a GM5. I strayed off the reservation with a GX9, but it is just a tad to big, even with the compact primes and zooms. I found out yesterday that a local electronic chain store had the GX880 for about $230 including the 12-32 Zoom so off I went and snagged a black one.

20210507_162451.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

First impression is that it is proper tiny, the house is just marginally larger than my Canon S120 and 95. The picture shows it with the 14 mm f:2.5, along with the Etsumi sun shade for the 20mm, which works a treat on both the 14mm and the PL 15mm.

I gave it a run in the garden to day, using the PL 15mm and the PZ14-42, which I actually had an ad on out in the classifieds, after running it on the GX9 and not liking it much on that. Short story, it is not going anywhere, other than on the 880. I have pondered it a bit and think what I didnt like much with it on the GX9, was manipulating it while using the viewfinder. On the screen based 880, with its different manual of arms, it works a treat. Also worked it a bit with the PL 15 mm, with the before mentioned Etsumi lens hood fixed. No vignetting on that either and the lens hood shaves quite a bit off the overall length of the lens, contra the OEM one. The lens hood also fits 37 mm lens caps as well as screw in filters in the same dimension.

Enough of that, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and it is the result that counts, so on to that - a selection of garden variety photos to follow:

Krokus.jpg

Anemone.jpg

Vårpryd.jpg

Stump.jpg

Frøya.jpg

Fungus.jpg

Fungus-2.jpg

Fungus-3.jpg

Light and shadow.jpg

JMA.jpg

Not the most groundbreaking work, but I do like how that little fellow captures. I even like the selfie mode. :biggrin:

Some quick observations:

It is not the easiest camera to work, and it somehow lends itself to one hand shooting, which is not the smartest move with it.

The menu ring selector could have been a bit stiffer, it is probably one notch from free-spinning as it is now.

Due to the Micro SD card, I hooked it up to the PC for transfering the files, lo and behold - it didnt just transfer the picture files, it also transferred the camera profiles, so that those where accessible in LR. Its magic, I tell you, MAGIC...:hiding:

The one negative I have found so far, is in the ISO dept, a lowlight master it is not. I have primarily worked the 20MP sensor from the GX8 and onward and have a tolerance for 6400 ISO on those, the 880 is rather hard pressed at 3200ISO. It is NOISY.

Somewhat to sum it up: It fits in a trousers side pocket with the 14mm, the 20mm, the 12-32 and the 14-42 PZ and if you are looking for a pocketable camera, I would recommend picking one up, I would probably even recommend getting one, just for fun. I think Panasonic shot themself in the leg with its "Its for Vloggers" spiel when it was released.

Last edited:

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
That's a steal with that lens.

You might want to compare the 12-32 and 14-42. The 12-32 is smaller, lighter, and I like the 12mm vs 14mm more than I ever missed the 32mm vs 42mm. I also prefer the manual zoom over the power zoom. I've used the Olympus 14-42 EZ auto cap without issue.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
That's a steal with that lens.

You might want to compare the 12-32 and 14-42. The 12-32 is smaller, lighter, and I like the 12mm vs 14mm more than I ever missed the 32mm vs 42mm. I also prefer the manual zoom over the power zoom. I've used the Olympus 14-42 EZ auto cap without issue.
Oh, I know and love the 12-32, I had it since I entered the system, I bought that and the Oly 45 along with the GX7, for the moment I have three of them.

The original one with metal mount, the one that came with the second-hand GX9 and the one from the GX880. I will horse around with the PZ for a while, though. It is oddly fitting on the 880.

Didnt like the PZ on the GX1 it came with, and did absolutely not like it on the GX9, but there are just something with the pairing of the 880 and the PZ, it just fits up nicely. I`ll wring it out a bit, but I think it will go into the "keeper" drawer, instead of the "Off-load" one, where it was untill yesterday.

I have actually added the 45-175PZ to the (shortish) list of stuff I fancy. Not that I need it, but am new fondled curious about it. Had the 45-150 for a couple of months it also came along with the GX9, but sold it off due having the kit 35-100 and size. Then again, there is something in a matched pair. :)

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Didn't like the 14-42 on the GX9? O.I.S. issues? The GX9 has IBIS and I'm not sure the 14-42 PZ was ever given the FW update to work with Dual IS. I know the 45-175 was with what I think was it's last FW update.

I think the 45-175 might be the only power zoom lens I've been able to tolerate over the years.

Have I mentioned I'm not a power zoom fan? :026:

Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Due to the Micro SD card, I hooked it up to the PC for transfering the files, lo and behold - it didnt just transfer the picture files, it also transferred the camera profiles, so that those where accessible in LR. Its magic, I tell you, MAGIC
I'm still a little confused about this. Do you mean LR had a drop-down for the different camera profiles, as in all the different JPEG styles? Was this while the camera was still hooked up, or after you disconnected it? I'm kinda interested in what went on here! Hahah.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Jens, congratulations. I bought an E-PM2 to fill that same niche. It's a whole gram lighter ... :rofl: ...

Truly tiny, but fully functional, and easily fits in any pocket.

I mostly use mine with the 14-42 EZ pancake zoom with JJC auto-opening lens cap. Basically becomes a very high quality P&S. Sometimes use my f/1.8 25 with it.

I understand the attraction of these tiny but fully functional cameras. Complements my 'big' kits very well.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
.....Due to the Micro SD card, I hooked it up to the PC for transfering the files, lo and behold - it didnt just transfer the picture files, it also transferred the camera profiles, so that those where accessible in LR. Its magic, I tell you, MAGIC.....

I'm still a little confused about this. Do you mean LR had a drop-down for the different camera profiles, as in all the different JPEG styles? Was this while the camera was still hooked up, or after you disconnected it? I'm kinda interested in what went on here! Hahah.
Are you talking about default camera profiles or in camera customized profiles. Default profiles are just part of LR.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Indeed, it has the camera profiles under the profile heading in the development module, its named "matching camera profiles" and contains the same 7 profiles that the camera has.

It kept it there after I disconnected the camera, but they disappeared when I went into another dated folder and then back in the folder from today, then it was just the standard adobe stuff there. When I went into previous import, the matching camera profiles are back again as I just have done that.

An oddity if I ever saw one. Never noticed that before, but then again, I havent hooked a camera up on the PC before, either. I think I will try it out with the GX9 tomorrow.

The BW photos in the OP, is Monochrome L from the camera, but added in LR.

#Davidzvi , I take it that you are not a Power zoom fan.. :biggrin:

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Didn't like the 14-42 on the GX9? O.I.S. issues? The GX9 has IBIS and I'm not sure the 14-42 PZ was ever given the FW update to work with Dual IS. I know the 45-175 was with what I think was it's last FW update.

I think the 45-175 might be the only power zoom lens I've been able to tolerate over the years.

Have I mentioned I'm not a power zoom fan? :026:
Nah, it was just something that felt odd with the camera to my eye and toggling the switch, it doesnt help that I have hands with glove size 13 either. 11 is rated as XXL... On the 880, the thumb naturally falls on the toggle, when I cradle the camera with my left hand.

Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Indeed, it has the camera profiles under the profile heading in the development module, its named "matching camera profiles" and contains the same 7 profiles that the camera has.

It kept it there after I disconnected the camera, but they disappeared when I went into another dated folder and then back in the folder from today, then it was just the standard adobe stuff there. When I went into previous import, the matching camera profiles are back again as I just have done that.

An oddity if I ever saw one. Never noticed that before, but then again, I havent hooked a camera up on the PC before, either. I think I will try it out with the GX9 tomorrow.

The BW photos in the OP, is Monochrome L from the camera, but added in LR.

#Davidzvi , I take it that you are not a Power zoom fan.. :biggrin:
That's really interesting, because, like you, I've never seen Panasonic's JPEG profiles in LR, like, ever.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
To illustrate the 3200 mushiness I wrote about in my initial post, I have run 1 version of the picture through Denoise Ai and one through Sharpen AI using the automated choices, they come in the order of Orginal, Denoise and Sharpen:

orginal.jpg
Denoise.jpg
Sharpen AI.jpg

Not to sure how they will fare, through here, but I hold the orginal one to be of doubtful value, the denoise is okayish, but the sharpen AI one I see as usable. I "flattened" the original picture in LR (All handles on Zero), and created a virtual copy for the two that been through Topaz.

Forgive the example photo, it was just a quick grab from recliner. The cartons is stuffed where they are, due to me giving the study a make-over, an idea that surfaced after I had ordered the stuff.

*edited to say that I have uploaded bigger files. They are not immensly big, but it shows somewhat the 3200ISO shennanigans.

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I like it. I want one now...
What about a flash?
Nice selfie you handsome man... 😂

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Its a tiny intergrated flash in it, which must be manually deployed, havent used it much yet, but it is there, and it does pop.

It is also tilting, with the help of a finger. Having looked it over now, I think there would have been room for a proper hotshoe there, the room for the foldable flash is about the size of a hotshoe, and there would have been height to spare for some additional stuff under it.

Adding the hotshoe and possibly the tiny flash unit from the GM5 shouldn't have driven the price point up by much and it would have left the users with some wiggle-room, for either a manual see-through VF, the possibility to add OCF and other such peripherals. :)

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Oh, I know and love the 12-32, I had it since I entered the system, I bought that and the Oly 45 along with the GX7, for the moment I have three of them.

The original one with metal mount, the one that came with the second-hand GX9 and the one from the GX880. I will horse around with the PZ for a while, though. It is oddly fitting on the 880.

Didnt like the PZ on the GX1 it came with, and did absolutely not like it on the GX9, but there are just something with the pairing of the 880 and the PZ, it just fits up nicely. I`ll wring it out a bit, but I think it will go into the "keeper" drawer, instead of the "Off-load" one, where it was untill yesterday.

I have actually added the 45-175PZ to the (shortish) list of stuff I fancy. Not that I need it, but am new fondled curious about it. Had the 45-150 for a couple of months it also came along with the GX9, but sold it off due having the kit 35-100 and size. Then again, there is something in a matched pair. :)

The 45-175PZ lens is, in my opinion, one of the truly great - and often underrated - zoom lenses ever made for micro four thirds. It has the added advantages of being relatively lightweight and small - so it 'mates' well with a variety of small mu43 bodies. I think it would go nicely with your GX880. The only theoretical downsides to it are availability (there aren't that many around, one sees a lot more of the 40-150's, which, honestly, weren't anywhere near as good as the 45-175) - and price (they do cost more than the more commonly available 45-150's, both the Panasonic and the Olympus versions...but IMHO they are worth it, since they are so much better!).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom