1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX85's crazy AF ability

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by yizhang84, Jun 30, 2016.

1. yizhang84

yizhang84 New to Mu-43

May 3, 2016

Came across this on YouTube . Omg...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    And? It's not like focus point is moving that far. What maybe 18 inches from front to back and he is not even going from closes to farthest. Maybe changing distance by 6-8 inches. Nothing really special

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    That's why I always laugh at the majority of these "autofocus tests", because while they're focusing on a number of different points, they're all relatively close to one another in terms of depth from one to the other. The best tests are to place three objects at varying distances (near, mid, far), and go between those. This test really proves nothing.

Having said that, it's very well known that Panasonic's AF speed is very very good, even with a lens that has a lot of glass in it like the Nocticron.

4. yizhang84

yizhang84 New to Mu-43

May 3, 2016
    How about this one then?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

5. pwol

pwol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2015
    CT
    how about a test where there are moving cars instead of still toy ones?

this is what an autofocus review video should look like:

6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yes, that's better. And? It's not breaking news that Panasonic has blistering fast S-AF. Ever since DFD, they've been faster than Olympus, and pretty much everything else on the market.

This type of AF speed isn't anything that's revolutionary for Panasonic.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm impressed. I never shoot skiers anyway.;)

8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    None of these actually show the results. With the Sony there were several times where the camera didn't track properly. And with the GX85 and fast-moving unpredictable sports the actual process of identifying and designating the subject takes too long sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    Actually, since the E-M5, Olympus has got quite decent S-AF. And even before DFD, Panasonic had slightly better S-AF on the GX7.
    DFD is supposed to be better with C-AF, is there a tracking test somewhere? (mere curiosity, I don't shoot action or sport)

10. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The only reliable CAF test I know of is this one.

In this one they concluded that the EM1 was better at CAF then the GH4 but the GH4 was faster at SAF. This was before firmware 3.0 on the EM1 which greatly improved the CAF ability and I have seen no comparisons done with the new firmware.

They caught a lot of crap in the comments because they used the Panny 35-100 on both bodies and people felt they should have used the 40-150 Pro on the EM1. So when they did this video they tested the focus speed of the two cameras with their respective lenses and basically found no difference in focus speed between the two.

The only recent thing I have seen comparing the two is in this review by Matt over at MirrorLessons when he was testing the Panny 100-400. He concluded that the lens performs better in CAF with the EM1 (I don't remember what Panny camera he was using)

The Panasonic 100-400mm f/4-6.3 Review - MirrorLessons

Now, you ask about tracking. Most people tend to confuse the two and lump them into the same thing when they really are two very different functions. When it comes to CAF the EM1 is pretty damn good and I am more or less happy with it's performance. I don't shoot Panny so cannot comment on it's DFD ability, what I have linked above is all that I know about it. Tracking is another issue and is the one area that ยต4/3 shows its weakness compared to the big guys. Really hoping the EM1mk2 improves on this function.

• Agree Agree x 1