1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

GX850 or GX8 or E-M5 ii or Pen-F or ... ?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Lupin 3rd, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    MoCo, MD
    Looking for something better than an iPhone for selfies and the like. Not so much selfies of myself, nobody needs to see that $#!t, but photos with the kids and family instead of just staring at them through the camera, all the time, like a pervert...

Ideally something small and cheap, that can sit in the diaper bag or the wife's purse with a 15mm to 17mm prime on it.

Currently on ebay I'm seeing:
    • DC-ZS70 ~ $300 - 1/2.3" sensor, not ILC, cheapest, has flippy screen
    • GX850 ~ $350 - smallest, cheapest ILC, has flippy screen
    • E-M5 ii ~ $450 - IBIS, fully articulated screen
    • E-PL9 ~ $450 - IBIS (3 axis), flippy screen
    • GX8 ~ $500 - IBIS, fully articulated screen, 20MP
    • Pen-F ~ $730 - IBIS, fully articulated screen, 20MP
    [updated with latest suggestions, thanks!]

Suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hi,

A GX85 with the Panasonic 14mm might not be a bad combo for your purposes, as well as the body with the 12-32 kit lens. What about an Olympus E-M10 II or III? The three cameras would offer the size you've suggested. Is weather-resistance an issue? The E-M5 II would seem right in that case. How much of a factor is budget? The Pen-F is another great choice, but the almost three hundred dollar price difference between it and the E-M5 II might make the latter a better choice, especially if the diaper bag or purse might create any damage potential. Just some ideas...

Regardless of your choice, you're going to do well with the cameras you've already selected.

Best wishes with your decision.

Robert

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    E-M5 II or the Pen-F with the Olympus 17mm f1.8 would be my recommendation.

4. None of the above:

Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II - PowerShot and IXUS digital compact cameras - Canon UK

Or a Panasonic equivalent? They have screens that flip all the way around, image quality is definitely better than an iPhone and you get a decent standard zoom too.

I was happy when I had one, but just ended up using my iPhone or my big camera:

A8504B30-44A4-4F5C-B124-E0D853470107.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

7F7740A0-25CB-484E-A182-BAD8AB71DAB8.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Lupin 3rd

Aug 13, 2018
    MoCo, MD

I like the GX85 but it doesn't have an articulating screen for selfies. Same with the E-M10.

Budget does matter, that's why the E-M1 ii and G9 aren't on the list. Pen-F is also pricey, but makes up for it in style.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lupin 3rd

Aug 13, 2018
    MoCo, MD
    That's actually an interesting option. Panasonic makes the DC-ZS70 that also has a flip front screen.

7. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 21, 2010
    e-pl9

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'd try find an E-PL9 for the IBIS, and otherwise the GX850. I use my GX850 as my go anywhere body and it works well for that use case.

9. Lupin 3rd

Aug 13, 2018
    MoCo, MD
    Thanks, but the E-PL9 doesn't have an articulating screen.

10. It has a flip screen, same as GX850

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Lupin 3rd

Aug 13, 2018
    MoCo, MD
    I had no clue, thanks!

12. They work a little differently. The GX850 only flips up, but goes all the way over for selfies. The E-PL9 is double hinged so can go up for shooting low but swings fully down for selfies. My preference for stills would be the E-PL9 but there were lots of used GX850s about.

13. Sam0912

Sam0912 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Manchester UK
    Sam Roberts
    GX8, whilst very nice, is the biggest of the bunch so I don’t think that’d be a good choice for what you want. At that level I’ve found the Panasonic’s are a bit quicker focusing wise (I have a gm5, gx80 and E-M5 mki). The E-M5 is probably the best all rounder, and would take more abuse if you take it out and about (my E-M5 is my beach camera, if it gets sand and sea water on, I rinse it under a slow tap and wipe it down. Not saying anyone else should, but it’s never failed on me with the 12-50 kit lens).

• Like Like x 1
  14. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    The GX850 is a bit limited regarding handling (not enough dials/buttons) but it's totally fine for casual shooting. I wouldn't use it as a main camera for my kind of shooting but I do like it as a backup or "small enough to take it with me everywhere" camera.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lupin 3rd

Aug 13, 2018
    MoCo, MD
    Thanks, that's what I'm going for.

• Like Like x 1
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Something like the little Panasonic LX10 might also work for you.

17. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 9, 2012
    Somewhere in Southern Oregon
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    For size and pocketability, the GX850 wins hands down.
    For design, thoughtful usability, and, bar none, the best EVF (electronic viewfinder) I have ever used on a mirrorless micro four thirds camera: the GX8. (Confession: I have one and damn, it is a wonderful - and usable - camera. But it's quite a big bigger than the tiny GX850.)
    For coolness, retro fun, and in a close first-place tie for overall image quality (for different reasons) with the GX8: the Pen F wins. It's an outrageously beautiful design and it takes great pictures.

Three cameras. All great, for different reasons.

Good luck!

18. GX850 from your list. Otherwise I like Levster's idea of a compact with a flip screen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.