1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

GX850 or E-PL7

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Zuri, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2016
    NJ, USA
    Zuri
    I'm looking to buy a compact MFT camera for daily use, to compliment my G85. So compactness it very important to me.

I used to have the GX85 not a long time ago but found it just a tad bigger than I'd want as a daily camera. So I've sold it.

I considered the GM5 and GM1 but I need to have a titling screen.

I narrowed it down to the GX850 and the E-PL7.
    GX850 weights around 120grams less, but it lacks IBIS.

I'm also familiar with Panasonic menus. Never owned an Olympus.

Main uses of the camera will be taking photos of my kids on the way to school, restaurants, social occasions, etc. Casual stuff.

Less main use will be macro and general photos outdoors. I got the Oly 30mm for macro.

I know I want IBIS, but I also know that 120grams is a lot and the E-PL7 is not so lightweight as it looks. Maybe I got spoiled by IBIS and don't really need it. I don't know.

My lenses for this camera will be Oly 25/1.8 + 45/1.8, Oly 30/macro, and 12-32 kit zoom.

The GX850 would cost me around $400 open box, with the kit lens.
    The E-PL7 I can buy locally from someone for $255, with the 14-42 kit lens.

Suggestions?

2. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    The EPL7 is definitely the better camera, but as you mention it's quite heavy. I had one and yes it's fairly heavy.

Another option is an EPL5/EPL6 which is lighter, although the IBIS is only 2-axis but better than none compared to the small Panasonics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2016
    NJ, USA
    Zuri
    Hmm.. E-PL5/6 weight 325g vs 357g of E-PL7. It's not that major of a difference. GX850 weights 269g which is a lot less.

Can you share why the E-PL7 is a better camera than GX850 other than IBIS?

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Outside the box.

I'm looking for something to complement my GX85 and am looking hard at the Panasonic LX10. It might be with a look.

5. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2016
    NJ, USA
    Zuri
    I've considered it but I'd like to utilize these great small primes I have like the 25/1.8 and the 30 Macro. As of now I'm still leaning towards the E-PL7 due to IBIS.

6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The 2-axis IBIS on the E-PL5 and E-PL6 is sometimes worse than no IBIS at all, so I would not consider that an improvement per se. And the weight between the two is so small, the E-PL7 is just a far better camera than those older Olympus models.

I would go with the E-PL7 instead of the GX850 purely due to IBIS, but the cheaper price is an advantage as well.

However, it's only ~70g lighter than the GX85, and that advantage drops to under 50g when you compare the difference in weight between the Panasonic 12-32 (70g) and the Olympus 14-42 EZ (91g). Are you sure you aren't just setting yourself up for disappointment again? Especially since the GX85 is a much higher-featured body than the E-PL7?

7. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2016
    NJ, USA
    Zuri
    I'm not going to keep the 14-42 kit lens, going to replace it with 12-32 for sure, so the weight difference is around 70g. The Oly 25/1.8 or 45/1.8 will be there most of the time, and not the zoom.

To be honest it's not just the weight, it's the body size aswell. GX85 is quite a bit larger than E-PL7: Compact Camera Meter

The EVF on the GX85 also makes it quite harder to put the camera inside the inner pocket of my coat, and for my purposes I would really be OK without an EVF 9 out of 10 times.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    E-PL7 has good 3 axis IBIS, and it accepts an EVF if you come to want one. For me, the EVF is vital - for others YMMV.

2-axis IBIS in the E-PL5 or E-PL6 is not very good, and those cameras have a mild susceptibility to shutter shock, which the E-PL7 does not due to a better shutter mechanism.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I had the EPL7 and prefer the GX85, I am not sure how that maps to the GX850, though.
    For my money, once I attached the EVF to the EPL7, I just found the GX85 to be a better piece of kit.

10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The difference is 7mm in width and 4mm in height and 5mm in depth (which is just the EVF). But that's a fair point, every mm counts. It's why I would get a Canon G9X II before any RX100 camera, since the RX100s are too fat to fit into a pocket.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    That very well might be the case, but the OP moved away from the GX85, and he has a great deal offered to him on an E-PL7 (probably $200 less than a GX85 - which he just got rid of,BTW)

12. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Doesn't sound like a lot actually, I had both a while ago. It might have been a combination of slightly heavier and larger.

I've currently got a GF7 for comparison which I expect is similar to the GX850. The EPL7 does have a metal body which is a benefit, although adds weight.

I know the GF7 is plastic but it's pretty well made.

13. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2016
    NJ, USA
    Zuri
    That's exactly my consideration. Ultra Lightweight (GX850) vs IBIS (E-PL7). I really don't care about metal vs plastic.

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I think the GX85 w/ evf vs E-PL7 w/o evf might be more that the material (the rubber) catches on things when you put it in your pocket or take it out. It's something I notice with my X70 + hood vs my GX85 + 12-32. The evf just pulls my jacket pocket out more often than the X70.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Just a word about size: The E-PL7 isn't considerably smaller (or lighter) than the GX80 - I have both (and don't mind the size and weight at all). If the GX85 felt to big, the E-PL7 won't help.

In *my* view, however, the E-PL7 is the much more desirable camera than the GX850 - it's actually a very good body in its own right, without any of the compromises the GX850 suffers from (hybrid shutter with marginal flash sync speeds and rolling shutter issues, no I.B.I.S. due to body size restraints, lesser grip, smaller battery). I kept the E-PL7 around for a reason after buying the GX80 - I thought it might replace the Olympus entirely, but it simply didn't and doesn't; it's still a great walk-around camera that has some intangible advantages over the GX80 for street work. That said, I don't think I would have bought the E-PL7 had I already owned the GX80 - so YMMV ... Since you had and sold the GX80, I don't think I can exactly related to what you desire ... All in all, for a single body, the only slightly bigger Panasonic would be kind of a natural choice IMO. Good luck choosing ...

M.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2016
    NJ, USA
    Zuri
    Thanks for the detailed info much appreciated.

Can you please share what intangible advantages E-PL7 has over the GX80?

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I have honestly never noticed the weight of my e-pL7,
    I think it is very light indeed.
    I'm happy pocketing an old e-P1 though, and that feels like a much heavier lump.

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, but that's because OP already has a larger camera. OP Stated they are looking for most compact. VF add-on spoils that.

19. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2016
    NJ, USA
    Zuri
    When I had the GX85 I hated the EVF, never used it. Probably because I look with my left eye, so a DSLR style placement of an EVF is way better for me. I also hated how small magnification the EVF had. That's I love my G85.

So for, the EVF on the GX85 was pretty useless.

20. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    I've got a similar decision to make, although I already own the cameras. I've got an EM10 ii which doesn't get used as often as it should, but want to keep it. I've also got 4 lenses including the Oly 25mm 1.8 and 45mm 1.8.

I've got an RX100 M3 and also a GF7 body, I need to sell one of those to free up some cash.

Having a second smaller M43 body to make use of existing primes does kind of make sense, they would probably get more use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.