GX85: what setting to use for video? 4K@24 = 1/50 ?

Antigen

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

i have a question regarding the 4K video (and 1080) of my GX80.

I read a lot and the most on internet suggest to use all the videocamera in PRIORITY mode and set the camera for 4K@24 to 1/50 and for 1080@60 at 1/120

Do you think that this setting are ok? Or is better to use in all automatic mode the camera or in other mode?

Thanks a lot

Antigen

Mu-43 Regular
Ok, shutter priority, and do you think that is correct use:

- 4K at 24 FPS = 1/50
- 4K at 25 FPS = 1/50
- 1080p at 60 = 1/120

Do you suggest to use 24 or 25 fps in 4K? I live in a zone where the light is at 50 Hz

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
Shutter priority at those frame rates would be better. You can leave ISO and aperture to auto.
The problem with any type of "priority" setting is that if you need auto exposure, programmed auto and full auto will be the only modes where you don't see visible steps in exposure adjustment. To me, this is far more distracting then changes to SS and aperture.

Sure the 180° shutter rule of having a SS at twice the frame rate is a good starting point, but like any "rule", it is not cast in stone. You may sometimes prefer either sharper or softer transitions between frames. You should experiment with motion and frame rate so you understand what to expect.

Antigen

Mu-43 Regular
How to obtain good video without "introduce insanity into my mind"? :D I need to do a video 20 August and i need to learn very fast

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
How to obtain good video... I need to do a video 20 August and i need to learn very fast
You can't do it overnight without some experience. Get out now and shoot in similar light and look at various settings. If you do not plan to grade in post, get it as right as possible in-camera. Here you will want to use zebras for exposure compensation, and Hilight/Shadows to adjust for contrast. I prefer the Natural profile, but if you plan to grade, you can dial down contrast, NR, and saturation in that profile to give you a bit more headroom.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
4K at 24 FPS. It produces a more natural, cinematic look for 90% of videography. Only use faster for sports or very high speed, slow-mo, or special effect shots. Good documentary video with a narrative component is dominantly shot at 24 FPS, 1080p or 4k. Always start with your aspect ratio, then your FPS.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Hi,

i have a question regarding the 4K video (and 1080) of my GX80.

I read a lot and the most on internet suggest to use all the videocamera in PRIORITY mode and set the camera for 4K@24 to 1/50 and for 1080@60 at 1/120

Do you think that this setting are ok? Or is better to use in all automatic mode the camera or in other mode?

Thanks a lot

Good question. IME with 1080 and 4K, both require different shooting techniques to get the most out of a shot. And, getting the right shutter angle or shutter speed depends on many factors. All scenes and camera movement will be different. Some low light shots can be done in 1/50 or even 1/40 shutter vs 1/60. And, they can be shot in bright light at a higher shutter speeds of 1/500, 1/1000. But this all depends on the movement in the scene, and/or camera movement speed.

The sad reality is, there is no one simple way to do every shot. Thus, trial and error, and testing out all your gear with the specific editing software, computer, and file formats will allow you to learn what works best for your specific set up. Also, the wider the range of situations you shoot in will allow you to find the optimal settings for the specific outcome you want.

Good luck on your video adventure.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco

- 4K at 24 FPS = 1/50
- 4K at 25 FPS = 1/50
- 1080p at 60 = 1/120

Do you suggest to use 24 or 25 fps in 4K? I live in a zone where the light is at 50 Hz
It all depends on the region you live. PAL or NTCS formats. I would experiment with the various formats for your rendering options, and find the best one that works in your region.

arson519

Mu-43 Regular

- 4K at 24 FPS = 1/50
- 4K at 25 FPS = 1/50
- 1080p at 60 = 1/120

It does not matter what resolution your shooting(720,1080,4k) the shutter speed should be double your frame rate! You can always brake the rules and use higher shutter speeds to help expose your image but you might get unnatural or jittery footage usually with fast camera movement like panning.

cluber77

Mu-43 Regular
And what about shooting in Gx80 Pal in 179• shutter rule for fixing the auto focus?
What shutter to use?

Latest threads

Top Bottom