1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

gx85 WB and AF problem

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Woj, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Woj

Woj New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2016
    Yes, the title is correct. I encountered a particular problem yesterday while shooting some footage at my son's school. Short story, when shooting stills in M mode the camera stopped focusing and then stopped recognizing any focus points. Once I switched to A or S mode then it worked fine, but did include the horizontal lines (I'm guessing fluorescent lighting) but it did focus and allow me to shoot. In M mode, no focus and no action after pressing shutter button. No red dot, no focus squares, nothing in M mode and that lighting. I have a video of it happening but haven't posted it yet.

Problem occurred in Manual mode
    Raw
    at low shutter speed 1/100 I did not see the two tone wb on the lcd screen and photos at 1/500 shutter speed I saw two tone WB on lcd and in photos.
    Tried different types of AF modes, everyone would cause the camera to stop shooting after the first few shots. However, when switched to A, S, or P modes the camera did not fail.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. OlyPaul

OlyPaul New to Mu-43

Aug 8, 2016
    Paul
    Works fine on mine,some of the the settingsusually amatuer /phd disables certain features took me a while to figure out why raw was disabled and could not be accessed.I doubt it is the camera that is aulty just a swtting.

3. Woj

Woj New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2016
    it worked on mine before the gymnasium and after the gymnasium, just not inside the gymnasium.

4. BostonC

BostonC New to Mu-43

Sep 21, 2016
    I had a similar experience a wk ago in a concert, but under different circumstance. I noticed the camera was not focusing intermittently, I suspect it was due to overheating. Turned it off instead of in standby mode, the problem went away but returned after a while. My circumstance was different b/c unwittingly the camera was in the high burst mode, that certainly contributed to the extra heat. But next day I noticed the camera had trouble to focus, I couldn't half press the shutter button or when I could, it wouldn't focus. After resetting the camera, it has been fine. You may want to try that and pay attention to heating.

5. Woj

Woj New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks for the info. Mine was also in high speed shutter mode. It got a little warm but if I switched from Manual to Shutter then it was fine. I'll test it again.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Was the camera in MF when you encountered the focusing problem in M mode? It sounds a lot like behavior in MF. If you had back button focusing set up it could do this as well.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Generally, settings are remembered for different modes, so it could be something set inadvertedly; looks a lot like touch screen troubles - the on-screen function buttons - or other Fn buttons, as suggested? I ususally work with touch disabled when using the EVF to avoid the former ...

M.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Woj

Woj New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2016
    Good points, and thanks for the input. The camera was in AF at the time but I'll check to see if I had some setting in M mode that I do not in other modes. It's worked well since and becoming my favorite camera to grab and go. To bad I didn't get into m4/3 earlier.

9. Woj

Woj New to Mu-43

Aug 3, 2016
    That's an interesting point. I wasn't sensing heat coming from the camera but I'll try it again next week in the same gymnasium. I'm thinking it has something to do with the lighting interfering with the AF. I've used it for street photography alongside my a6300 and haven't had any issues outdoors in the sun, too bad I can't say the same think about the sony.