GX85 thumb grip recommendations?

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
Not a thumb grip, but I've been happy with this 3D printed GX85 grip off eBay. The front has a bit of a curve over your finger for a more comfortable grip (YMMV). It's lightweight, and you can still access the battery/SD compartment and mount it to a tripod.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
I’m a long time user of thumb grips on many cameras. I like long ones. I use the same one Mike uses (DSLRKIT). Excellent, though does cover the AF/AE button. I use the button with my thumbnail to lock a zone. That’s tolerable. If I was using it constantly or in Press mode, I would not recommend it.

Mooglover

Mu-43 Veteran
I’m a long time user of thumb grips on many cameras. I like long ones. I use the same one Mike uses (DSLRKIT). Excellent, though does cover the AF/AE button. I use the button with my thumbnail to lock a zone. That’s tolerable. If I was using it constantly or in Press mode, I would not recommend it.
@threeOh Or you could trim a little bit further like I did, unblocked AE/AF Lock. See pic about 5 posts up.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I am currently looking into the JJC grip myself. Can you explain the larger grip attempt?
I was thinking to enlarge it on the lens side.
33116E3B-869C-4C6D-BDE2-754FB08D3AA7.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mooglover

Mu-43 Veteran
@Mike Wingate interesting. How do you like the grip otherwise? I like the idea of quick access to the battery/sd but have read that the mount is heavy. Can you verify? I thought it was aluminum, maybe I'm wrong?

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
@threeOh Or you could trim a little bit further like I did, unblocked AE/AF Lock. See pic about 5 posts up.
Yes I could and I'm not timid about doing stuff like that. But, for me at least, that's not a solution. When I use BBF in press mode, I want a big, fat, protruding button that I can easily get to and press with any part of my thumb. Simple stick-on half beads give me protruding. But the thumb grip would have to go.

I specifically noted "Press" mode. If that's what the OP uses, he can decide if he wants to keep the AF/AE button pressed with whatever part of his thumb he can lodge against it for however long he usually keeps it pressed. But he should know in advance its probably not going to be fun.

Mooglover

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes I could and I'm not timid about doing stuff like that. But, for me at least, that's not a solution. When I use BBF in press mode, I want a big, fat, protruding button that I can easily get to and press with any part of my thumb. Simple stick-on half beads give me protruding. But the thumb grip would have to go.

I specifically noted "Press" mode. If that's what the OP uses, he can decide if he wants to keep the AF/AE button pressed with whatever part of his thumb he can lodge against it for however long he usually keeps it pressed. But he should know in advance its probably not going to be fun.
Gotcha. For me, it is a bit easier to find the button because when my thumb slides in the indent, I am always on the button. For the most part the buttons on the GX85 do not protrude much and are not always easy to find, at least they don't seem to be as pronounced as my GX7.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
@Mike Wingate interesting. How do you like the grip otherwise? I like the idea of quick access to the battery/sd but have read that the mount is heavy. Can you verify? I thought it was aluminum, maybe I'm wrong?
The grip is great, aluminium, well built. A good screw, plus auxiliary thread, into which I screw my PD plate into. Really nice.
F4DF7726-F32B-4C0F-984E-C66D17835AFC.jpeg

Mooglover

Mu-43 Veteran
@Mike Wingate Thanks. And yes that is pretty light. For the most part the front grip works better with the addition of the thumb grip I added, really just want to protect the bottom edges of the camera when I set it down. I am unsure of the size to protection ratio at this point, considering the portability aspect of these cameras are really what I love. Thanks for all the info!

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
@Mike Wingate Thanks. And yes that is pretty light. For the most part the front grip works better with the addition of the thumb grip I added, really just want to protect the bottom edges of the camera when I set it down. I am unsure of the size to protection ratio at this point, considering the portability aspect of these cameras are really what I love. Thanks for all the info!
The addition of the grip adds only 6mm, 1/4” to the base of the camera. Not quite S1r size.

Goseki

New to Mu-43
I use this one, it is smaller and the on/off and af lock function are more accessible. It has the inconvenience of not fitting perfectly and of using a screw to fix it, I use a piece of foam to protect the shoe flash. It is not perfect but I find it comfortable.

I confirm that the jjc grip fits perfectly, adds tripod base, leaves the battery accessible and does not add much weight. Nice.

I'm sorry for my English, it's not my first language.

Thumb.jpg
Thumb up.jpg
FOAM.jpg
Grip.jpg
Screen.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom