GX85 thumb grip recommendations?

JonVdG

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jon
I've seen a couple threads here about thumb grips that work with the GX85, but I'd like to solicit more opinions. Anybody find a really good one that they recommend? I'm hoping to find one that doesn't require too much thumb stretch and doesn't cover any of the buttons. Thanks.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I have the generic one made by (I think) Neewer and it functions well enough, though it only works well if you alter your grip slightly. It could be a tad longer. There is another one that's marketed for a Fuji... I think the XE-2? It's a longer one and is supposed to fit a little better, but I haven't tried it out yet.

JonVdG

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for your replies. I think I'm going to order a few and just see what works, since there doesn't seem to be a dedicated model yet.

JonVdG

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jon
Just a quick follow up for those interested. The Cotta grip for the Panasonic GM5 definitely does NOT fit. It impacts the AE lock button before it even slides into the hot shoe completely. My search continues.

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I bought a black extra long Fuji model from eBay for £2:00. I does not get in the way of the buttons, does not impede the flash operation and makes a more secure grip. It did need about 1mm carefully filing off the side of the thumb mount which does not show as it is in the hotshoe.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Hope this helps.

JonVdG

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jon
Hi Mike, that definitely helps! Thanks for the detailed photos. Does it have a brand name? Looks like a good fit.

SteveK

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
I bought a black extra long Fuji model from eBay for £2:00. I does not get in the way of the buttons, does not impede the flash operation and makes a more secure grip. It did need about 1mm carefully filing off the side of the thumb mount which does not show as it is in the hotshoe.
What area did you have to file down? I just got one of these and it won't fit into the hot shoe. I would need to make the raised portion narrower.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Only file from one side, not both. Very little needs taking off. Swiss needle files work best. Keep on testing the fit. The lower edge is bevelled. The inside edge is reduced. Go carefully. I hope the photos help. The shiny surface has been filed.

SteveK

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
View attachment 537247 View attachment 537248 Only file from one side, not both. Very little needs taking off. Swiss needle files work best. Keep on testing the fit. The lower edge is bevelled. The inside edge is reduced. Go carefully. I hope the photos help. The shiny surface has been filed.
Yep, that's what I need to do. Thanks for the pictures and instructions!

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Enjoy the thumb grip, it really changes the ergonomics of the camera. Great with a wrist strap.

SteveK

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steve
I got it to work without too much trouble. I'm looking at removing a couple of mm of the bottom of the thumb area to get better access to the AF/AE lock button. Is that the Op/Tech Mirrorless wrist strap?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have ditched the leather wrist strap, and am using an OpTech Classic neck strap. If the strap clips were compatible,I would have bought their mirrorless wrist straps, but the clips are different sizes. Enjoy the thumb grip.

D MATIC

Mu-43 Regular
Just a quick follow up for those interested. The Cotta grip for the Panasonic GM5 definitely does NOT fit. It impacts the AE lock button before it even slides into the hot shoe completely.
Just want to confirm as well, that the Cotta GM5 does NOT fit. I read somewhere that it does. Which was very misleading. I recently bought this exact fuji grip to test. And it does NOT fit either. But seeing that it can be filed down, I might try that. I wish Cotta would make a grip for the GX85

@Mike Wingate Thanks for the idea for the Fuji thumbgrip, I went a bit further on mine and filed off a bit on the underside of the thumb part to allow for easier access to the AF/AE Lock button, which I have assigned for manual focus. Total cost $3 from Amazon.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
@Mike Wingate Thanks for the idea for the Fuji thumbgrip, I went a bit further on mine and filed off a bit on the underside of the thumb part to allow for easier access to the AF/AE Lock button, which I have assigned for manual focus. Total cost $3 from Amazon.
View attachment 789295
Good for you. I have just bought a JJC grip that works well, I am attempting a larger grip for it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom