GX85 Rear Wheel

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
The rear wheel of the GX85 is so nearly flush with the body that it gets difficult to turn, especially with gloves in winter.

Has anyone had success with adding a few drops of superglue (or something) to the rear wheel to give it a bit more "purchase"?

I can see putting drops every few "clicks" of the wheel, and letting them dry before rotating to the next set. Is there room inside? Will it give enough extra depth to make a difference? Is there a better solution?

TIA and Happy Holidays!

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Walt ....... WALT! Slap yourself before using "stupidglue" on your cameras! Just 1 (ONE) misplaced drop and you've pretty much ruined the rear wheel. :shakehead:
What are you suggesting?
Was that you next to me flying back from Detroit? "One loose bolt and this whole plane could drop from the sky!" Elmers? Takes forever to dry. What?

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
I don’t have trouble with the wheels on my Olys, but gloves do interfere with accurate use of the buttons. My solution is to go light on the gloves and use rechargeable hand warmers. This allows me to wear lighter cloth gloves that only make sense 10-15F warmer than the current temperature. If your rear wheel problem gets worse with heavier gloves, this might be a way to combat it.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Daughter boought me a nice pair of Patagonia mitts with fold over finger cover. Black, Large. Too small, no ex large in stock.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think the best option is to move somewhere warmer :)

The GX80/85 rear dial is fiddly for sure. I couldn't use mine with gloves on. Is changing to a different body an option?

Andy H.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Andy, thanks, i'm still trying after 2 years. Do you have a special technique or grip that works go you? How do you avoid pressing it in whole trying to rotate it?
Not really. I haven't experienced any difficulty holding the GX85, or inadvertently pressing the rear wheel while rotating it. I do have very dextrous and long, but fairly slim fingers ...... maybe that's my reason. :hmmm: I also use a wrist strap so I don't have to hold the body very tight to fear dropping it. :thumbup:

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Walt,

What about some of those thin gripper gloves they make? Some are lined with Thinsulate. Or, if you can find a regular pair of gloves that work for you, what about some rubber cement on the thumb?

Rubber cement is cheap enough and I'd rather see a plan that involves glue fail on gloves than on your camera!

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Walt,

What about some of those thin gripper gloves they make? Some are lined with Thinsulate. Or, if you can find a regular pair of gloves that work for you, what about some rubber cement on the thumb?

Rubber cement is cheap enough and I'd rather see a plan that involves glue fail on gloves than on your camera!
Great ideas! Thanks!

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Not really. I haven't experienced any difficulty holding the GX85, or inadvertently pressing the rear wheel while rotating it. I do have very dextrous and long, but fairly slim fingers ...... maybe that's my reason. :hmmm: I also use a wrist strap so I don't have to hold the body very tight to fear dropping it. :thumbup:
Thanks! I will try a wrist strap.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom