GX85 or something else?

Josh_LSTV

Mu-43 Rookie
So I'm seriously considering the GX85. I currently have a GH1 and a LX7 point and shoot which I've realized that I use more often than the GH1. I shoot a little of everything but my favorite shots are taken at night and quite frankly the GH1 is horrible in low light. It is hacked and the video is great though which is mainly what it gets used for as well as for my 100-300. I had looked at getting a GH3, but then came across the GX85 which seems to blow it away in almost every area. So basically what I'm looking for is the best body for low light in the $400ish range on the used market. Is there anything better than the GX85? For reference I have the 20mm 1.7, 14-45, and original 100-300. Would like to get the 35-100 2.8 eventually, but can't afford it currently.

StanS

Mu-43 Regular
Crawley, West Sussex UK / Plovdiv, Bulgaria
I was in a similar situation about 3 months ago and ended up buying the GX80. My previous body was a G3 and I've also used my brother's Oly E-PM2 quite a lot as well. In this price point some alternatives would be the EM-10 mark II, the G7, and the EM-5 mark I. All of them have better a better evf than the GX80. The Olympuses reportedly have a better IBIS as well, although this is somewhat subjective (depending on the way you hold the camera, how you press the shutter, etc). For example, in some situations using the PL 25mm and the G3, I was able to shoot with a shutter speed as low as when I was using the E-PM2 with the same lens (although the E-PM2's IBIS is not very effective). If you buy newer lenses from Panasonic you can also benefit from Dual I.S. which can potentially even things out.

Considering the G7, it has a better focusing system (the same as the GX80's) than those two Olympus cameras. Even my G3 was able to focus faster and more reliably than the E-PM2, which has the same system as the EM-5 mark I (please correct me if I'm wrong). It also has the best video capabilities of the four, if you need them (I certainly don't).

The GX80 combines the good focusing of the G7 with an IBIS performing similarly to these Olympus cameras. If you can compromise a bit on the evf (which I expected to be worse than it is in reality), it is a very good all-round camera, especially for that price. I liked the rangefinder form factor, since it reduces the camera's footprint in my bag, which is always a good thing. The new shutter mechanism is also nice, since you forget about shutter shock (which was really noticeable on the E-PM2, and from what I've read - on the EM-5 mark I as well)

longviewer

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
The GX85 is high on my list for taking over for my GX1. My main issue is whether I'd use 4k more or whether an Olympus body with live time/composite would be a better fit for me.

My GX1 is hacked for improved AVCHD audio and video, and I don't own TV or computer to make the most of 4k yet - so more still-capture features would be nice. An Oly EM10.2 would be a nice step up in that case. I also need to decide on weather seals which would make a used EM1.1 a good choice - but I've no sealed lenses yet for that step.
It's always something.. ;)

davidzvi

Real Name
David
The GX80/85 is a great camera and yes they have come along way since the LX7 and GH1. Note: it's heavier than you might think and handles better with a half case.

....The Olympuses reportedly have a better IBIS as well, although this is somewhat subjective (depending on the way you hold the camera, how you press the shutter, etc). For example, in some situations using the PL 25mm and the G3, I was able to shoot with a shutter speed as low as when I was using the E-PM2 with the same lens (although the E-PM2's IBIS is not very effective). If you buy newer lenses from Panasonic you can also benefit from Dual I.S. which can potentially even things out.......

While technically any in body image stabilization can be abbreviated as IBIS, the E-PM2 didn't have what is generally referred to as Olympus IBIS. Even the E-M10 mkI (and mkII ?) only had a 3 axis IBIS. No E-PMs and only the E-PL7 & E-PL8 had the 3 axis IBIS. Full Olympus IBIS is still better than what Panasonic offered in the GX85 and I believe G85, but Dual IS makes up for it. The G9 and GH5? I've read conflicting review as to whether it's as good or not.

The GX85 is high on my list for taking over for my GX1. My main issue is whether I'd use 4k more or whether an Olympus body with live time/composite would be a better fit for me......
I use the 4K photo modes features Panasonic offers through those modes much more than I actually use 4k video. They have something like the Olympus composite mode but it doesn't have the RAW file option for it.

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
So I'm seriously considering the GX85. I currently have a GH1 and a LX7 point and shoot which I've realized that I use more often than the GH1. I shoot a little of everything but my favorite shots are taken at night and quite frankly the GH1 is horrible in low light. It is hacked and the video is great though which is mainly what it gets used for as well as for my 100-300. I had looked at getting a GH3, but then came across the GX85 which seems to blow it away in almost every area. So basically what I'm looking for is the best body for low light in the $400ish range on the used market. Is there anything better than the GX85? For reference I have the 20mm 1.7, 14-45, and original 100-300. Would like to get the 35-100 2.8 eventually, but can't afford it currently.
To answer your question: GX85. It's clear that you don't feel the need for a large camera/big grip (hence you are using the LX7 more than the GH1), you care about video (GX85 has excellent video), you want something relatively cheap, and you own the 20/1.7. I mention the latter because the Olympus cameras have trouble with the 20/1.7 in some situations (slower to focus, plus banding at high ISO levels).

In your price range, the only other Panasonic camera to consider would be the G7, but the GX85 is basically better than the G7 in every single way except for EVF (most notably, it has IBIS). There are Olympus cameras that'd be cheaper used (original E-M10, original E-M5, E-PM2, E-PL series), but if you care about video and use the 20/1.7 a lot, I think you should just get a Panasonic, especially since you are likely also used to the Panasonic menu system.

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would not agree Gx85 blows away GH3 as you say. Besides IBIS and size(a negative for some), what does it have over it?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was envious of Live View when I sold my EP5 for the Gx85. But do you know about Pany's 8 second live view or using the multiple exposure function where it can stack up to 4 images (turn gain off) at any shutter speed & ISO? Great tools. I got the Gx85 soley as a "B" roll 4K camera. I can come to love this little camera. Built like a tank and no filter - great B&W's. As a walk around with either the kit zoom or the Oly 9-18 it's my favorite camera ever. I wear glasses and still find the view finder "acceptable", but now I often use the LCD on both it and my Gx8's.

Real Name
Andrew L
The GX85 and 20mm f1.7 are the best combo ever! DfD focusing aid speeds up acquisition on that rather slow lens, and files are the best they've ever been, maybe excepting the newest 20MP sensors. It's just a lovely combination. I highly recommend the GX85.

Real Name
Andrew L
I would not agree Gx85 blows away GH3 as you say. Besides IBIS and size(a negative for some), what does it have over it?
Sensor performance and especially JPEG quality are much better with the GX85 than previous Panasonic models. I'd get a G85 before a GH3. In my opinion, you should go GX85 or newer for the sensor performance.

Latest threads

Top Bottom