GX85 or Ricoh GR II

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by NoSeconds, Sep 3, 2016.

1. GX85

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Ricoh GRII

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

As above...? Feel free to discuss...

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    I wouldn't go for the Ricoh. I had their film GR1s and later one of their compact digitals. Neither impressed me that much. The GX85 looks much more interesting but I already have a pair of GM5s and I can't see that the newer camera offers me anything that would persuade me to switch.

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I own the GR (I) and the GX80 (~85) and I actually carry both of them as part of my travel setup. The GR's image quality (sensor/lens combo) is magic, but of course, somewhat limited. If you love wide-angle and feel comfortable with 28mm-e or if you're a streetog, the GR will be right up your alley. The GX80 isn't far behind if you mate it with good glass, though, and it's the much more versatile camera - not least because it has a very usable EVF. As far as speed goes, the GR is a little faster to turn on, but this is nit-picking, really. More crucially, the GX80 focuses *way* faster; both cameras are very accurate. For low light, it's kind of a draw: The GX80 has I.B.I.S., and there are brighter lenses - but the low light performance of the GR is remarkable and still a notch above the (very good) one of the GX80, and noise patterns are less objectionable (though that's just my take, of course).

If I *had* to decide, I'd take the GX80 because it's an ILC with great performance. But giving up the GR would hurt, definitely.

What's right for you depends on your way of shooting - if you're something of a generalist, go for the Panasonic. If you're an enthusiast whose needs are met by the GR, you won't find a much better camera, especially for the price.

M.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The GR (both I and II since they are essentially the same thing) is an excellent camera. Its sensor is better than any Micro 4/3 sensor and its lens is razor sharp corner to corner even wide open. On the other hand, being just a glorified point and shoot, it has a much narrower shooting envelope than the GX85. I'd say GX85 + PL15 will have slightly worse optical quality, but the faster aperture of PL15 will negate the GR's sensor advantage. Also the GR's AF is a bit leisurely (but it has a very useful "Snap Focus" mode when the lens is always set to hyperfocal distance).

A couple of my shots with the GR:

14691483650_52b61a3f0d_b.

14691522909_ef5d3ac62e_b.

14691523809_0b36b25535_b.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    IBIS, better shutter that goes to 1/4000 mechanically instead of only 1/500, better JPEGs, slightly better resolution, better ergonomics with larger lenses, better EVF, tilting screen, better video options...

Don't get me wrong, I love the little GM5. But the GX85 is a serious improvement.

oh and um...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Both.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. shermanshen

shermanshen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2014
    I think if pocketability is a priority, the Ricoh is your only choice from above. Even with pancake lenses, not even the GM5 will fit nicely. I have the GR I and it is just a beautiful camera. Easily fits in a back pocket and its inconspicuous look and outstanding image quality is something magical.

Unfortunately, my GR pooped out after about a year and a half of use. After looking around the internet, I found other GR owners with the similar reliability problems. It is for that reason that I voted GX85 above. My GR is gathering dust right now as I'm not prepared to spend the $100+ it'll cost to repair only to have it potentially break down again. My GX7 on the other hand is close to three years old and still going strong.

8. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Just be careful with generalisations here - online, you'll always find the failure stories dominating, but hardly ever the opposite - let's call them "durability tales" :). A guy I know had clocked up way over 13'000 images on his GR last I asked - will be more now! - without any problem whatsoever; he shoots it *a lot* (daily, from what I hear), and being a pro, he uses the little warrior professionally, too (i.e. he takes care of it, but never to the extend of missing a shot - I witnessed him placing it in the middle of a busy road once ...).

My impression of the GX80 is very positive as far as build quality goes, but my LX100 shows annoying sign of screen degradation - I sure hope this won't happen to GX80 (I'm hopeful - it's a different screen, after all). I'm frankly a bit miffed about that - the LX100 was more expensive than the GR (when I bought it).

M.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    All good points but none of those are good enough reasons for me to spend money on it because the GM5s meet my needs well enough.

10. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I knew you'd say that... :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For what purpose?

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    While both is indeed the correct answer, it depends on how you want to use it. GX85 is more versatile just for the fact of having lenses. But that GR... you can just take anywhere really.

With that said, while I love the idea of the GR, I just haven't really loved the camera. I don't know why. It's pretty easy to control. Take anywhere . Pretty much has an IQ edge, especially for the weight. But I enjoy using my E-M5 mkII more.

13. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Well the intended purpose was for a compact, uncomplicated, no fuss street rig.

The whole question was brought about by my wife ambushing me a few days before Father's Day, asking what new camera I would like to buy myself (to offset her flying solo to the big smoke for a 90th birthday party, while I hold the fort against her feral offspring).

I was already leaning towards the GR even though I really like the GX85 and will no doubt end up with one eventually... but after much internal deliberation, I've been able to accept a few facts...

1) The GR would be largely redundant versus my GM1/P14 and although I wanted it for the fixed focal length/simplicity of not having to choose which lens/es I would be using, that would probably irritate me eventually too.

2) The GX85 would be a waste while my EM1 is still serviceable and often lead to one or the other being left at home...

With a line of credit still burning a hole in my pocket I started to think about maybe sponsoring an under-poverished child from a far flung land but quickly snapped out of it and decided to buy a stand up paddle board instead... :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1