1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

gX85 or LX100

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by afg08, Oct 13, 2016.

1. afg08

afg08 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2015
    I'm fighting a little gear lust I suppose but I really would like something smaller than my GX8. I go on an early morning walk with my dog every day. This morning the lighting was great, the fall colors are starting to come and of course I did not have a camera. Even my wife says I should buy something that I could have with me. I really like the GX8 but it's a bit bulky even with a small prime lens.
    Will the GX85 fit comfortably in a jacket pocket with either the 12-32 kit or a prime 20mm lens? Or would I be better off with the LX100? Thanks.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not sure that either of them will be comfortable in a pocket.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I agree with @tkbslc@tkbslc . If you want to keep interchangable lenses get a GM5/1. If you want a fixed lens always with you, go for something properly small (RX100, LX15 when it's out, other options?).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have the 12-32 and the LX100. My LX100 has been in for warranty repairs for 3 weeks...I think their strategy is to keep it as long as possible so I can't do another warranty claim ;)

No seriously, I'm not a fan of the feel of the 12-32, or its performance on an Olympus body (E-M5 and E-M1). And it's so slow it's not a real competition for the LX100. That being said, the LX100 is too bulky for any pocket, and probably too fragile. However, the 4k capability and look was irresistible. I still think the GM5 and a prime might be the way to go. Or even an E-M5 and a prime like the 14/2.5 is pretty small....

5. afg08

afg08 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2015
    Ok, you guys have talked me out of either of those two. Good thing I asked. I think I may look into the Sony RX 100 next. Thanks

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You want a GM5. Way lighter than the other bodies but still good ergonomics and even if you add the accessory grip it still fits in any jacket pocket.

7. tkbslc

Can I ask what phone you have? To be honest, that's the most likely "camera" that you will always take with you.

I really like the idea of an RX100 as a pocket camera, but the issue with fixed lens cameras is that you can't remove the lens to clean dust. And a camera carried in a pocket will get dust in it, guaranteed.

8. afg08

afg08 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2015
    I've got an iPhone, and it does take nice photos but I seldom use it as I miss having an EVF.

I did find that Adorama still has a new GM5 so that becomes a consideration if I can live with the red body.

9. tkbslc

I'd encourage you to try using it more. Yes it has the negative of no viewfinder and poor low light performance. But it has the major benefit that whenever a picture unfolds before you, it is likely to be in your pocket already.

A GM5 is small, but it's not small enough to just take with you just in case. Which means it will probably not be there unless you pre-plan to take photos.

10. afg08

afg08 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2015
    thanks for the good advice. I think you're right and I'll try using the phone for the next few mornings and see what happens. I've never really been overly excited with small cameras and maybe the phone will work out okay if I give it a fair try. I never really considered the phone as an alternative so I appreciate your help.

11. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    It's a little late to chime in now, it seems, but anyway ... I own both cameras you propose and the 12-32mm; for walks like the ones you describe, I reach for the LX100, period. It's a very nice compact camera that fits easily(!) in a jacket pocket, even in my soft shell jackets whose pockets are quite small - albeit not while keeping a "low profile" - but the slightly bigger body makes worlds of difference when it comes to handling, as does the grip.

The GX85 *will* actually fit into a jacket pocket with the 12-32mm, but with a lot less ease - I personally wouldn't want to carry it that way. So, while the GX85 has the advantage in most ways over both the LX100 and the GM5, you have to put up with a clearly more substantial body - for EDC without a bag, I consider the GX85 too big, while the LX100 is one of the two cameras I pack for that purpose, and by far the preferred one.

It's not lot bigger than the GM5, but the bright lens opens up different opportunities, and it handles way better than the GM5 (which, for such a small camera, is no slouch either in that respect, I have to say). Of course, the LX100 isn't a truely compact camera because of its protruding lens - you'll have that issue with the GM5 as well, though. The GM5 can be a little quicker in operation due to faster start-up, but that's only the case if you've already deployed the lens, which somewhat contradicts the idea of having a really compact camera ...

If you're looking for a more versatile solution, the GM5 will suit you better and make it easier to build a system; if you're really after a general purpose camera that should start small, I'd prefer the GX85 by some margin and would put up with the size "disadvantage". But for the purpose indicated, I'd pick the LX100 for sure.

M.

12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Well, I disagree a little. With a pancake lens the GM5 fits almost anywhere unless you're wearing tight jeans and a t-shirt.

13. tkbslc

Maybe I'm making too general of an assumption here, but I just cannot fathom that there are people that walk around with a GM5 in their pants pocket every day. And who wears a jacket 52 weeks a year? So really, anything much thicker than a phone is something extra you have to make the decision to carry every day.

14. tkbslc

If you are heading out in the morning and know ahead of time and think you will run into photo ops, then just throw your regular camera on a sling strap and head out. It doesn't add much weight or size.

The camera phone recommendation was for the opportunities you stumble upon when you didn't think to bring your camera. Like the other morning, you were out thinking the world looked pretty spectacular. You probably had your phone with you already, so make use of it!

My problem with having a second camera is that you probably wouldn't have thought to bring that along either. So it's no more useful than the GX8. But you probably had your phone....

15. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    If a protruding lens is a problem and all you're really looking for is a nice, compact, portable camera with better image quality than your phone, why not a P&S? Some can be had for really cheap, too; I actually just sold my Canon S95 - a very pocketable camera capable of making very nice images - for $50.

16. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I had a LX100, and to be honest, I found it to be a bit bulky as a take anywhere camera. It is almost the same size as the GX85 with 12-32mm. The GM5 is smaller, but not that much thinner with lens attached. If you want small then I'd be looking at one of the 1" compacts. I must say I really like my Panasonic TZ110 as a take anywhere camera - fits in a very small belt pouch.
    Here's a size comparison, from the GX8 down:
    Compact Camera Meter

17. tkbslc

Is the TZ110 another name for the ZS100? Man I hate Panasonic

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I live in coastal Oregon and I can wear some sort of jacket almost the whole year... Heheh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Yup - TZ100 = TZ101 = TZ110 = ZS100 depending on which market you buy it in. Maybe the forum needs an automatic Panasonic model translate feature based on your location! :)

20. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    This sounds like a job for the Ricoh GR...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1