GX85 on a Tripod

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
Given the precarious position of the GX85's tripod socket, I am curious what you guys have found to be a good arca-swiss style plate with it.

Currently I am using a tiny Giottos ball head which is mounted to a Benro arca-swiss plate. It is ok for occasional use, but a little fiddly. I also have more standard arca-swiss plates that connects more solidly, but there are issues with larger lenses.

I know Panasonic made some kind of stand-off adapter, but it is expensive, hard to find, and I think I read somewhere it was made of plastic.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I use the Peak Design Dual Capture plate on my GX80. It gives clearance on all my tripod heads [ all Manfrotto ] with the larger diameter lenses.

Lenny

Mu-43 Regular
I own the official Panasonic tripod plate thing, DMW-TA1. For my GM5, it was the only way to mount my 12-35 f2.8 on a tripod.

While fairly pricey for what it is, I can assure you it's very solid. Yes it's plastic but a very hard kind that you can't bend with your finger and thumbs (I've tried!).

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I either stick an old RRS plate on it, or use one of the cheap plates from ebay

Lenny

Mu-43 Regular
got curious, so check out this B&H review:

PanasonicDMW-TA1 Tripod Adapter for Select Lumix Cameras

the plastic Panny stepped plate wasn't highly regarded

That's one negative review out of four commenting on 'flimsy' plastic, and that description honestly baffles me. Either that person decided to bend the plate with giant pliers and a clamp (see! it's flimsy!), or they are refering to the bit where they state 'is a bit unstable - it will jiggle a bit', in which case they obviously didn't tighten the screws sufficiently since some play would exist between a poor connection between camera and screw mount regardless of tripod material. Purely down to user error, basically.

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
Guys... thanks for your input.

I think the biggest issue I might have with the adapter is the two step process of having to screw it in, and then the arca swiss plate to it.

I might be interested in the peak design plate if I could use their "clutch" hand strap with it, but I get the feeling it is too big for the GX85.

I am gonna try to work with the designer of:

GX80 / GX85 Grip (free shipping!)

to see if it can be modified to offer an arca swiss channel at the bottom of it.

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
That's one negative review out of four commenting on 'flimsy' plastic, and that description honestly baffles me. Either that person decided to bend the plate with giant pliers and a clamp (see! it's flimsy!), or they are refering to the bit where they state 'is a bit unstable - it will jiggle a bit', in which case they obviously didn't tighten the screws sufficiently since some play would exist between a poor connection between camera and screw mount regardless of tripod material. Purely down to user error, basically.
Well I just payed € 40 for this DMW-TA1 because my new PL 35-100mm f/2.8 was touching my Arca Swiss plate. Screwed on as firmly as possible, this expensive gadget between GX 80 and the Arca Swiss plate gives a very shaky stance on one of the most solid tripods available on the market. Unusable !!

Last edited:

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
Problem I've found with this one is that when the lock screw is tightened at extreme end of slot the plate is not held secure. :(

Hoped this one might do the trick because it allows to tighten the screw very near the edge of the plate . Should I cancel the order before Amazon confirms its expedition ?
Love my GX 80, but the position of the tripod screw hole might just make me choose another camera...

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
That is what panny should have done. Is it Al or plastic?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have one of those JJC grips. Metal base and plastic and alloy grip. Really nice, fits my GX80 well, battery and card access. Arca Swiss base.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Two shots of the new handgrip.
8FF5E1A8-A67F-48E9-A680-FF844CED0889.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
AA882DE4-0C69-4C5D-9DDE-7A4FAC892C49.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom