GX85 menu>wireless greyed out?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Frankgr, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    Please can you help - I had a GX7 and I could wirelessly fire my off-camera flash (Nissin i40) by using the camera's built-in flash to optically trigger it. I sold the GX7 and bought the GX85 (or GX80 as it's called in Europe) and now I cant set it up. In the menu Flash> the >Wireless and > Wireless channel are greyed out. I have mechanical shutter and silent Off. What else could it be?

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
  3. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
  4. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    This is right in the user manual — you need a master flash on the camera to control remote flashes wirelessly. I believe you need either FL200L or FL360L to act as a master. Maybe Olympus flashes will also work, but I'm not sure.

5. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    On the GX7 the built-in could act as the master. And you could set it to only fire a 'communication light' which triggered the off-camera flash.

6. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    yes, I know. unfortunately, Panasonic decided to remove this function from the GX80. as a cheap alternative, you could buy DMW-FL70 (which is included with GM5 and LX100) — I believe it also can serve as the master for wireless TTL.

7. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    Thanks for info. So disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 1