GX85 menu>wireless greyed out?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Frankgr, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    Please can you help - I had a GX7 and I could wirelessly fire my off-camera flash (Nissin i40) by using the camera's built-in flash to optically trigger it. I sold the GX7 and bought the GX85 (or GX80 as it's called in Europe) and now I cant set it up. In the menu Flash> the >Wireless and > Wireless channel are greyed out. I have mechanical shutter and silent Off. What else could it be?

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
  3. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
  4. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    This is right in the user manual — you need a master flash on the camera to control remote flashes wirelessly. I believe you need either FL200L or FL360L to act as a master. Maybe Olympus flashes will also work, but I'm not sure.

5. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    On the GX7 the built-in could act as the master. And you could set it to only fire a 'communication light' which triggered the off-camera flash.

6. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    yes, I know. unfortunately, Panasonic decided to remove this function from the GX80. as a cheap alternative, you could buy DMW-FL70 (which is included with GM5 and LX100) — I believe it also can serve as the master for wireless TTL.

7. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    Thanks for info. So disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.