GX85, meet GX85 (Is syncing camera customizations possible)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by John M Flores, Sep 29, 2016.

1. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    When I got my first GX85, I set up a whole bunch of customizations - FN buttons, time, time zone, half-press AF off, color space, and a whole bunch that I can't even remember right now - so that the camera is set up just the way I want it.

Then I got a second GX85 and I tried to replicate the customizations so that if I'm working with both cameras (i.e., normal zoom on one, tele zoom on the other) I can switch between the two bodies and not miss a beat. I got most of the customizations, but there are some that I missed. So now, when I'm out in the field the cameras are 90% identical but it's the 10% that trips me up right when it's least convenient.

Is there any way to sync the customizations between two bodies? Possible ways to accomplish this:

1. NFC (if both cameras have it)
    2. WiFi (if both cameras have it)
    3. SDCard (copy to card, put card in second camera, read from card)

This would also help when upgrading bodies. Or am I the only one with this issue?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    That could be useful if you change bodies a lot. Personally I change bodies every 2-3 years so it doesn't worry me much, but I can see it can be useful for some. However I don't think there are any sync feature out there.
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    It's not so much changing bodies a lot because they are all different so settings would not necessarily be the same or even have the same buttons/dials/switches. They are talking about those of us with two bodies that use them both at the same time. For example - a sport or wedding photographer who uses two bodies with different lenses.

OP, Olympus has added that ability in the EM1mk2. It's the only m4/3 camera that I am aware of with this ability. Very happy to see it because it will save me so much time. It will also save them to the computer so if a firmware upgrade wipes them out it will be easy to set it up again.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    would be great if the camera could dump all settings to a xml file on the SD-card and then put the card into next body and import it (before backup of course, because this feature could also be used for backing up the settings)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. greenjp

greenjp Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2014
    As noted apparently the EM1 mk2 will have this feature.

It really would be nice if Panasonic/Olympus had a program for PC/phone where you could put in settings and then load to the camera. This is standard stuff for everything ranging from scientific instruments to universal remotes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. appruk

appruk New to Mu-43

May 10, 2013
    bangalore, india
  7. appruk

appruk New to Mu-43

May 10, 2013
    bangalore, india
    even with a single camera, i wish it is possible to backup on a smart phone, different sets of camera settings with custom names. I can then transfer 3 preferred settings for the activity at hand.