GX85 low light EV -4 focus?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by azmerm, May 12, 2016.

1. azmerm

azmerm Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Phoenix
    Alan Mermelstein
    I just noticed that the GX85 low light focus is rated to -4EV. This would be great for me at wedding receptions, for example dancing, as I could never get the EM1's to focus fast enough. Had to switch back to the Nikons.

Has anyone been able to test this out. Not starlight focus, just low light room moving subjects, e.g., wedding reception lighting and dancing.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It's interesting that they rate it able to focus down to -4 EV when it's not rated to meter lower than 0 EV, especially as they don't specify what the aperture of the lens being used to generate said numbers (while it doesn't effect the EV of the scene it does change the amount of light seen by the sensor).

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I was testing out ND filters in a dark room last night. I stacked ND filters to the point where I was losing anywhere from 6 to 11 stops of light and getting 30-60 second exposures at F2.5 - that's how dark it was. I was using the Android app with the camera set to Face Detect. Using just the focus assist light in a pitch black room, the camera was able to focus repeatedly. I was impressed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    The G7 is also rated that low. With AF assist turned off even at EV-1 the focus on my copy was slow. It does catch eventually but finding something with high contrast in such low light (without the AF assist) is a major challenge. I'd prefer not to be "the guy with AF assist" at a wedding.. :blush: but even EV0 would be a mighty dim wedding! (Of course I'm never invited to weddings after dark, we always seem to attend midafternoon events.)

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1