GX85/GX80 official

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tkbslc, Apr 5, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Holy moly!!! That may well be the most practical, well thought out M4/3 camera to be released yet! I'm super interested.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    Looks like upgrade to GX7. What i really need is DFD since i photograph a lot of dogs/pets in action. GX7 is ok for that, but i look forward to an improvement from DFD tech. Also video has becomes more important to me, and 5-axis w/ 4K sounds awesome, only IF IT HAS mic input?! Why on earth they have drop if, if they bring video features up when promoting camera, i dont understand....I dont need often external mic but time to time it would a very nice to have, and for that use i am not interested to purchase GX8 or GH4/G7. And another reason is they dont have IBIS on 4k video...

Interesting to see also how much better or sharper IQ is now with the new Venus engine and without low pass filter...or is it any.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I wish they kept the Japanese name the GX7 Mark II it makes more sense than GX80/85. A part of me is really tempted to sell my Fuji X-E1 for the faster speed, more lens options(at lower price). Then again it be interesting to see what the GM1 and GM5 successor brings. Maybe 2-axis IS, 4K, and tilting display?

5. tkbslc

I would have paid $100 more if they'd used a normal EVF instead of reusing the POS 16:9 one from the GX7... :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    I wonder if GX8 will get dual IS on video via firmware update.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tkbslc

That seems like a hardware function to me, but here's hoping! Would make the GX8 even more killer.

8. Lodos

Lodos Mu-43 Regular

• Funny Funny x 7
  9. wilson

wilson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    I was looking at the pre-release firmware pictures from the GX85 using Imaging-resource's comparometer and compared them against the Oly E-PM2 and I was surprised that at >ISO6400, the new sensor was about as noisy as the older one.

That's disappointing. I was expecting the newer 16MP sensor to have better noise characteristics since the 20MP one in the GX8 seems to be equivalent noise wise to the older 16MP sensors even with the smaller pixels.

However, the feature set for the GX85 is quite impressive for a $800 MSRP camera that comes with a kit lens, the pancake zoom.

That name is just too confusing though. I like the Japanese name better, or maybe they should have gone with GX7.5. ;-)

10. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    Price is great, camera is great, design is great, size is great.

If Pana had just put a 4:3 ratio EVF rather than stupid 16:9 this camera would be a full on Triumph. I worry this detail will kill a lot of potential sales.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    How often do you shoot at ISO >6400? If it's a regular occurrence, then maybe m43 isn't the right system for you...

I literally can count on a single hand the number of times I've shot at 6400, so it's a rare occurrence for me. But if it were something that I regularly encountered, I'd certainly be looking at a system that delivered better results at those ISO values.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Ooh, it now has a Focus Bracketing feature, awesome!

I love how Panasonic and Olympus keep leapfrogging each other. One introduces something innovative, and the other copies. My favourite ones have been Touchpad AF and now Focus Bracketing (not that innovative, really, but super handy!). Now I wish Panasonic would just get on copying LiveComposite modes...

Hah! Turns out they did. Or something like it. It's called Light Composition mode, where only the brighter pixels in a scene are recorded. Sounds very similar to me...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's a 4K photo mode though... so based on video rather than stills settings.

14. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
  15. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, now that both Panasonic and Sony have 5-axis stabilised high quality video, there's not much point getting any Olympus body for video anymore...

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    From DPR: ・AC/USB Power Charging
    USB power charging... about damned time!

I'm surprised they released all of these features in one of their non-highend bodies first (GX/GH Series). I'd kill for my GX8 to have 5 axis, usb charging, and no AA filter. That said, I really don't know if I can go back to the GX7's viewfinder after using the GX8's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Panasonic is really in "the game". The Gx80 will replace the EP5 as my travel camera. I could live with the 12-32 and my 35-100 f4/5.6 as my travel kit. But since I got my pair of Gx8's I am only using the EP5 when I travel by air which is once a year. I'll probably wait a while to get the Gx80 but if the Gx8 & Gx80 are foreshadows of the Gh5 - its going to be one heck of a camera.

• Agree Agree x 2