1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX85 Goes On Vacation to Galveston - Updated with more pics!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mpresley, Jun 29, 2016.

1. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    The wife and I have been in Galveston for the past three weeks on vacation. I picked up the new GX85 just a few days before we left. Since we drove I was able to pack a couple of bags of camera gear. This wasn't (just) a photographic trip - mostly a sit at the beach/bar/beach/coffee shop/beach/bar... type of trip, but a month is a long time to not have a choice of camera gear to play with...

My walk about bag was the Tenba Cooper 8 - just the right size for the GX85 with either the Panny 7-14/f4 or the 12-35/f2.8 mounted with the 35-100/f2.8 in the next compartment. I slipped the Panny 20/1.7 under the rain shield, along with 4 extra batteries and some cleaning cloth. I also brought the GX7 as a backup along with the 100-300 to play with in another bag.

The most notable new features of the GX85 are the stabilization along with the DFD focusing shared with the GX8 (and others) - there are other things that's notable about the GX85 but those two have stood out in my usage. So without further ado, here are some shots from our trip:

To start with, the 7-14 f/4 is a wonderfully small, sharp lens - focuses fast and is a blast to shoot with. One of the places where having an ultra wide mounted was most advantageous was at the Bishop's Palace - a late 19th century magnificent home you can tour for a few dollars.

P1070655-X2.jpg

P1070680-X2.jpg

ISO performance of the GX85 seems better than the GX7 or the E-M5 - this is at ISO 3200
    P1070696-X2.jpg

P1070713-X2.jpg

So how well does the new IBIS work? Well, here's a 1/2s hand held shot..
    P1050676-X2.jpg

Not long enough shutter speed to be impressed? Here's a 1 second hand held shot:
    P1050866-X2.jpg

And a final shot with the 7-14
    P1070126-X2.jpg

Both of the previous shots are with the 7-14 f/4 so this is not with the even better dual IS system!

Not to be left out, here are some with the 35-100 f/2.8

Full moon and summer solstice
    Full%20Moon-X2.jpg

Replacing a broken warning sign
    P1080337-X2.jpg

We threw some food out to the birds and started a fight!
    P1080451-X2.jpg

P1080550-X2.jpg

And finally, some with the 12-35 f/2.8

Beautiful sunsets nearly every night
    P1080044-X2.jpg

Who says you need a long lens to take BIF shots? 12-35 f/2.8
    P1080078-X2.jpg

P1080062-X2.jpg

Sister-n-law with her boy friend
    P1070801-X2.jpg

and finally, me
    P1060488-X2.jpg

UPDATE: Here are a few extra shots

I love the harbor tours - an hour or more of just relaxing with the breeze in you face. The boat captain followed a couple of fishing boats around so we could see some Dolphins. While those are cool, I get a kick out of seeing the feeding frenzy of the birds! 35-100
    P1060728-X2.jpg

We did a lot of this... 7-14 @7mm
    P1060996%201-X2.jpg

We also did a lot of this
    P1040612-X2.jpg

and this.... a selfie
    P1040609-X2.jpg

Hope you enjoyed sharing some of our vacation memories with us.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 41
    • Winner Winner x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Great job putting that nice little camera through its paces! How did you feel about the post processing with GX85 files? The colors are very nice.

Some have observed that Lightroom tends to flatten out the colors in raw somewhat from the jpeg output and actually sort of shifts the colors a bit. I don't run into that problem too much as I prefer to use on1 software for much of my editing.

3. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Thanks, I abandoned LR some months ago and went to Capture One Pro and haven't looked back. Unfortunately they just released an update that supports the GX7 II but not the GX85. I've been using exiftool to change the model to GX7 so I can process the RAW files. Now finally to try to answer your question. The first thing I notice is the need for less sharpening than the GX7 files. C1P does a great job with the colors. Most of these are simply processed with the auto settings and the some clarity added as I like.

4. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Great photos! A joy to watch and read about your trip there. Now it doesn't feel too long for summer holiday :)

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nice job! I'm seeing many similar comments on this camera - looks like it's going to be a winner!
    Just curious if your BIF hots used 4K photo?

6. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Thanks so much, we are on our way back home. .. kind of sad

7. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Thank you so much, no 4k tricks here. I've had best success with face detect mode of all things.

8. Peter_Tenba

Peter_Tenba New to Mu-43

Apr 8, 2015
    Peter Waisnor
    Glad to hear the Cooper 8 worked out well. We're looking forward to trying the new camera. All the Panasonic Luminaries we work with tell us it's their best camera to date.

Peter
    Tenba

9. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Thanks Peter - it's a very well built bag and well designed too! It's just tall enough for the GX85 with the 35-100/2.8 mounted. If I were to offer any feedback it would be to make the rain shield just a little longer (deeper). It didn't really cover and stay put the one time I though I was going to need it - of course the bag was a little overstuffed just to be fair :)

I am putting the GX85 in the best m4/3 body I've used category - certainly not completely perfect, but covers a lot of features I want.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    A note on the BIF shots I managed to capture.

I tried several variations off settings when trying to catch these birds as they flew by. These aren't speed demons, or falcons, but it's what was around! My most successful settings were Face Detect mode - single shot. The focus acquisition speed of this body with the 12-35/2.8 or the 35-100/2.8 is amazing. I'd say it's noticeably faster than the GX7 or the E-M5 with the same lenses.

P1040822-X2.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  11. jjviegas

jjviegas Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2013
    Madrid, Spain
    Great shots and report. I too have one GX80 and some small lenses. I just ordered a Cooper 8 to take on my vacations in a couple of weeks, hope it arrives in time ;)

Regarding the RAW files, I'm loving working with the in ACR, the results are very natural and they are very easy to work with. Silkypix has full support with GX80 RAWs, even has the same picture profiles, and the results are great, very close to the OOC JPG files.

12. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Thanks, I think you'll enjoy that bag, it's well built and just the right size for the GX85 and a couple of lenses.

I abandoned Lightroom after using it since it's conception and have been using Capture One Pro. I am very pleased with the results I get.

13. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    I saw the Bishop's Palace once when I was a kid. Beautiful place. Great photos!

14. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    Some great pics there. Have been a long, longtime LR user and just added Capture One Pro and am looking forward to putting it to work on my GX8, Pen-F and OMD M5 Mark II raw files.

15. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Thank you - I expect I'll go back next time I'm in Galveston

16. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Thanks so much - I got the first version of LR free after Adobe bought out Raw Shooter and have updated every version since... just got tired of the laggy performance and Adobe's rental push - I think C1P gives me great results!

17. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Impressed by the hand held long exposure shots. Great set all in all!

18. ARTnVIDEO

ARTnVIDEO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Great photos.

19. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I grew up in Galveston.

Now that I no longer live there, I can kind of see the allure.

Thanks for the pictures - always glad to see my childhood home from another person's eyes.

20. mpresley

mpresley Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2012
    Wolfe City, TX
    Michael
    Thanks - I was surprised that I got any at that shutter speed myself!