1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX85 / GM5 / LX100 - Pick 2 (really GX85 + ?)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by davidzvi, May 25, 2016.

1. GX85 and GM5

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. GX85 and LX100

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    By the end of the week I'll have a new GX85. I also have a GM5 and LX100. I really only need 2 of these.

The GX85 is going to be my main camera. Main reasons to have a second body:
    • Save some lens swapping
    • Backup for vacations
    • Something to give my wife/son to shoot with on vacation
    • Kind of want two (I mean let's be real)

Pluses and Minuses of the GM5 (IMHO):
    + Smaller alone and easy add to the bag with the 9mm BCL
    + Can use all my m4/3 glass
    + Touch screen
    + Better option to limit swapping

- Flash sync is limiting
    - Different batteries (and kind of weak)

Pluses and Minuses of the LX100 (IMHO):
    + Same batteries as GX85
    + Sometimes a limited kit is a good thing
    + Faster manual controls
    + Flash sync speed
    + The lens

- No Touch screen
    - Power Zooms are not my favorite, startup time is more an issue than actual zooming

I really don't do video, so those features really don't matter.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Having the same batteries is a definite plus for the lx100. Honestly, much as I love the GM5 I think it's the one I'd get rid of in your case. There's a lot of overlap between the GX85 and GM5, it might make it hard to choose which to bring... it does in my case!

The LX100 has the advantage of being a more analog experience and no lens changing when you want a different experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Mu-43 app

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I had a similar dilemma. I have the GX7 with the Pana 2.8 lenses, but was wanting something compact that I could take when I didn't want to take a camera bag, plus I also wanted a backup when travelling.

The problem with the GM5 is you can't have compact and fast and zoom. For compact you either need the 12-32mm which isn't fast, or the 20mm which only gives you one focal length option. Anything else either requires a larger lens or carrying multiple lenses, neither of which fit my criteria.

So the LX100 was my choice.

Since I bought that, Panasonic have released the TZ110, which I have picked up for an upcoming overseas holiday. It was either that or something like the 14-140mm for the GX7, but for this particular trip the compact size of the TZ110 was a better option. So it will be the TZ110 and LX100 going, and the GX7 sitting this one out. The fact than all three use the same battery is a bonus. Doesn't mean I plan on getting rid of the GX7 though - neither the TZ110 or LX100 can beat it with the 35-100mm f2.8 :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Guess I should add a listing of my glass.

P7-14
    P14-140
    P12-32
    P42.5mm f/1.7
    O9mm BCL

One advantage of the GM5 would be to have both the 7-14 and 14-140 on a body.

I just sold my O17mm f/1.8, I'm considering getting a P20mm or P14mm. Fast aperture or fast AF. I've owned both before. I really enjoyed the 14mm, but at that time is was my smallest lens by far. Now I have the 12-32 so I'm leaning toward the 20mm. But I'm also wondering if I even need the fast prime if I keep the LX100. The 20mm is still a full stop faster.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would get the 20mm. I miss that lens!

6. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The 20mm is a different kettle of fish altogether - the LX100's lens can't hold a candle to the prime, and neither can the 12-32mm, in spite of its merits. I really recommend getting it - it's such a joy to shoot!

I'm actually glad I'm not faced with your decision - I'd keep both cameras for its respective merits. The LX100 is a great second *camera* to the GX85, but the GM5 makes the much more versatile second "body".

I think the LX100 is probably my best do-it-all walk-around camera - but for various reasons, I'm really glad to be able to swap it for other cameras. The E-PM1 with the 12-32mm (both quite battered) is my daily beater (again) - it gets taken out when I judge the risk of damaging the LX100 as too high (as in: jacket pocket on a busy day ...). The E-PL7 has better IQ, I.B.I.S., a touch screen - I use it mostly with primes and really love the results, but in bright daylight, it's a bit of a pain to use. However, as a second body to the E-M10, it's been of great use on the road and on assignments (same batteries, same capabilities, same RAW IQ, only slightly different controls - near perfect mix and match).

So, my take: If you like/need a second body, keep the GM5. Keep the LX100 at any rate.

M.

7. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    The LX100 is currently my favourite and most used camera, in fact the lack of touch or moveable screen is a plus point for me as I've put a hard screen protector on it and makes the whole camera easier to just throw in a bag or put in a coat pocket.

At one point I did own a GM1, it was a nice camera but way to small for me, it's nice sometimes to go minimalist but sometimes usability has to come first.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have considered keeping all 3 for exactly these reasons.

• Like Like x 2
  9. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You should, I don't think I could bear to part with my GM5!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Mu-43 app

10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I find the "standard" zoom range a little bit frustrating, personally. I always want wider and/or longer. That said, I voted for the LX100, because it can serve that basic middle ground with a compact, relatively fast, relatively affordable, relatively fun to use body, and you can compliment it with the GX85 and either your 7-14/4 or a fast prime (or a telephoto zoom, if you're ever into that). Seems quite flexible. That said, the GM5 would largely do the same job with the 12-32, since in low light you'll need to complement the LX100 with a fast prime on your other body anyway. And in both cases you're carrying around 2 bodies, which I've never done before and don't personally relish the idea of doing.

I think I'd really miss the touch-screen on the LX100, that's my main misgiving with it.

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    FYI, I did intentionally leave off "keep both". But now I'm considering it. I wonder what I net would be if I swapped the GM5 for a GM1? $$ is one of the reason I'm trying to resist keeping both.

12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    About $100? That's a good idea if it's significant to you (as it would be to me, heheh).

13. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Personally I would wait and get a pair of EM1mk2's

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While I appreciate the sentiment, I'm not interested. And not just because I'd have to sell all 3 to cover the original retail of the E-M1 mkI.

About what I figured, maybe I'll post a trade offer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I tend to agree when I'm not working. But the GM5 is so small and light it's much of a hardship. The idea of the 14-140 and 7-14 mounted on bodies at the same time in my bag would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Estrellas321

Estrellas321 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    I voted for the GM5.

- While I like the idea of carrying the same batteries, at least you can still use the same charger!
    - If the purpose was for a backup camera during vacation and such, at least you still have the versatility of using whichever lens you want.
    - Just a guess, but I have a hunch the LX100 will drop in value faster than the GM5.
    - I just plain ol' like the IQ better on the GM5

FWIW, I just got myself a GF7 to compliment my GX7, which I will soon be selling for the GX85. I rarely shoot with the EVF and the build quality doesn't bother me. Instead, I get a built in flash and tilt screen, both of which I use very often. Also, after selling the kit lens, and deducting the price of a external charger that I would want since it doesn't come with the GX85, the body ends up being super cheap!

• Like Like x 1
  17. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well I decided GX85 and GM5. In the end I really like the LX100; handling (though I would prefer a touch screen), size, controls, etc. Everything about it. Everything that is except the power zoom. Startup, changing zoom, waking from sleep, etc just bug me. I'm not sure why I keep trying them. Maybe I should try a fixed lens, fixed focal length.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Estrellas321

Estrellas321 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    I do miss the handling of the LX100. Many of us dream of that body with a m43 mount (and a programmable filter button, damnit). Add a touch screen and maybe tilt screen (if it doesn't compromise too much on size) and I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes.

19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Many think the manual zoom on the X10/20/30 is odd. But I would love a one inch or larger premium compact (non xtran) with a manual zoom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Fully agree - though looking at the LX100's lens in action, I somehow doubt it would be easy to pull that off without motors (the lens is pushed so far out of the body that I have a hard time imagining sensible mechanics for a manual zoom ... but then, I'm no engineer).

The manual zoom on the 12-32mm is one of the reasons I like it so much - it's simple, yet functional (even if my current copy is slightly botched - it works, though).

M.

• Agree Agree x 1