GX85 / GM5 / LX100 - Pick 2 (really GX85 + ?)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by davidzvi, May 25, 2016.

1. GX85 and GM5

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. GX85 and LX100

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    By the end of the week I'll have a new GX85. I also have a GM5 and LX100. I really only need 2 of these.

The GX85 is going to be my main camera. Main reasons to have a second body:
    • Save some lens swapping
    • Backup for vacations
    • Something to give my wife/son to shoot with on vacation
    • Kind of want two (I mean let's be real)

Pluses and Minuses of the GM5 (IMHO):
    + Smaller alone and easy add to the bag with the 9mm BCL
    + Can use all my m4/3 glass
    + Touch screen
    + Better option to limit swapping

- Flash sync is limiting
    - Different batteries (and kind of weak)

Pluses and Minuses of the LX100 (IMHO):
    + Same batteries as GX85
    + Sometimes a limited kit is a good thing
    + Faster manual controls
    + Flash sync speed
    + The lens

- No Touch screen
    - Power Zooms are not my favorite, startup time is more an issue than actual zooming

I really don't do video, so those features really don't matter.

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Having the same batteries is a definite plus for the lx100. Honestly, much as I love the GM5 I think it's the one I'd get rid of in your case. There's a lot of overlap between the GX85 and GM5, it might make it hard to choose which to bring... it does in my case!

The LX100 has the advantage of being a more analog experience and no lens changing when you want a different experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Mu-43 app

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I had a similar dilemma. I have the GX7 with the Pana 2.8 lenses, but was wanting something compact that I could take when I didn't want to take a camera bag, plus I also wanted a backup when travelling.

The problem with the GM5 is you can't have compact and fast and zoom. For compact you either need the 12-32mm which isn't fast, or the 20mm which only gives you one focal length option. Anything else either requires a larger lens or carrying multiple lenses, neither of which fit my criteria.

So the LX100 was my choice.

Since I bought that, Panasonic have released the TZ110, which I have picked up for an upcoming overseas holiday. It was either that or something like the 14-140mm for the GX7, but for this particular trip the compact size of the TZ110 was a better option. So it will be the TZ110 and LX100 going, and the GX7 sitting this one out. The fact than all three use the same battery is a bonus. Doesn't mean I plan on getting rid of the GX7 though - neither the TZ110 or LX100 can beat it with the 35-100mm f2.8 :) 

• Like Like x 1
  4. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Guess I should add a listing of my glass.

P7-14
    P14-140
    P12-32
    P42.5mm f/1.7
    O9mm BCL

One advantage of the GM5 would be to have both the 7-14 and 14-140 on a body.

I just sold my O17mm f/1.8, I'm considering getting a P20mm or P14mm. Fast aperture or fast AF. I've owned both before. I really enjoyed the 14mm, but at that time is was my smallest lens by far. Now I have the 12-32 so I'm leaning toward the 20mm. But I'm also wondering if I even need the fast prime if I keep the LX100. The 20mm is still a full stop faster.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I would get the 20mm. I miss that lens!

6. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    The 20mm is a different kettle of fish altogether - the LX100's lens can't hold a candle to the prime, and neither can the 12-32mm, in spite of its merits. I really recommend getting it - it's such a joy to shoot!

I'm actually glad I'm not faced with your decision - I'd keep both cameras for its respective merits. The LX100 is a great second *camera* to the GX85, but the GM5 makes the much more versatile second "body".

I think the LX100 is probably my best do-it-all walk-around camera - but for various reasons, I'm really glad to be able to swap it for other cameras. The E-PM1 with the 12-32mm (both quite battered) is my daily beater (again) - it gets taken out when I judge the risk of damaging the LX100 as too high (as in: jacket pocket on a busy day ...). The E-PL7 has better IQ, I.B.I.S., a touch screen - I use it mostly with primes and really love the results, but in bright daylight, it's a bit of a pain to use. However, as a second body to the E-M10, it's been of great use on the road and on assignments (same batteries, same capabilities, same RAW IQ, only slightly different controls - near perfect mix and match).

So, my take: If you like/need a second body, keep the GM5. Keep the LX100 at any rate.

M.

7. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    The LX100 is currently my favourite and most used camera, in fact the lack of touch or moveable screen is a plus point for me as I've put a hard screen protector on it and makes the whole camera easier to just throw in a bag or put in a coat pocket.

At one point I did own a GM1, it was a nice camera but way to small for me, it's nice sometimes to go minimalist but sometimes usability has to come first.

8. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have considered keeping all 3 for exactly these reasons.

• Like Like x 2
  9. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You should, I don't think I could bear to part with my GM5!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Mu-43 app

10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I find the "standard" zoom range a little bit frustrating, personally. I always want wider and/or longer. That said, I voted for the LX100, because it can serve that basic middle ground with a compact, relatively fast, relatively affordable, relatively fun to use body, and you can compliment it with the GX85 and either your 7-14/4 or a fast prime (or a telephoto zoom, if you're ever into that). Seems quite flexible. That said, the GM5 would largely do the same job with the 12-32, since in low light you'll need to complement the LX100 with a fast prime on your other body anyway. And in both cases you're carrying around 2 bodies, which I've never done before and don't personally relish the idea of doing.

I think I'd really miss the touch-screen on the LX100, that's my main misgiving with it.

11. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    FYI, I did intentionally leave off "keep both". But now I'm considering it. I wonder what I net would be if I swapped the GM5 for a GM1? $$ is one of the reason I'm trying to resist keeping both.

12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    About $100? That's a good idea if it's significant to you (as it would be to me, heheh).

13. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Personally I would wait and get a pair of EM1mk2's

14. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While I appreciate the sentiment, I'm not interested. And not just because I'd have to sell all 3 to cover the original retail of the E-M1 mkI.

About what I figured, maybe I'll post a trade offer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I tend to agree when I'm not working. But the GM5 is so small and light it's much of a hardship. The idea of the 14-140 and 7-14 mounted on bodies at the same time in my bag would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Estrellas321

Estrellas321 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    I voted for the GM5.

- While I like the idea of carrying the same batteries, at least you can still use the same charger!
    - If the purpose was for a backup camera during vacation and such, at least you still have the versatility of using whichever lens you want.
    - Just a guess, but I have a hunch the LX100 will drop in value faster than the GM5.
    - I just plain ol' like the IQ better on the GM5

FWIW, I just got myself a GF7 to compliment my GX7, which I will soon be selling for the GX85. I rarely shoot with the EVF and the build quality doesn't bother me. Instead, I get a built in flash and tilt screen, both of which I use very often. Also, after selling the kit lens, and deducting the price of a external charger that I would want since it doesn't come with the GX85, the body ends up being super cheap!

• Like Like x 1
  17. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well I decided GX85 and GM5. In the end I really like the LX100; handling (though I would prefer a touch screen), size, controls, etc. Everything about it. Everything that is except the power zoom. Startup, changing zoom, waking from sleep, etc just bug me. I'm not sure why I keep trying them. Maybe I should try a fixed lens, fixed focal length.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Estrellas321

Estrellas321 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    I do miss the handling of the LX100. Many of us dream of that body with a m43 mount (and a programmable filter button, damnit). Add a touch screen and maybe tilt screen (if it doesn't compromise too much on size) and I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes.

19. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Many think the manual zoom on the X10/20/30 is odd. But I would love a one inch or larger premium compact (non xtran) with a manual zoom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Fully agree - though looking at the LX100's lens in action, I somehow doubt it would be easy to pull that off without motors (the lens is pushed so far out of the body that I have a hard time imagining sensible mechanics for a manual zoom ... but then, I'm no engineer).

The manual zoom on the 12-32mm is one of the reasons I like it so much - it's simple, yet functional (even if my current copy is slightly botched - it works, though).

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.