1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX85 Early Sample Photos

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wasabi Bob, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I recently had the opportunity to test drive a relatively early sample of the just announced GX85. I think the GX85 will be a good example of how a product’s evolution will create a camera revolution. For me the GX85 confirms that Panasonic is definitely listening to their customers. For starters, I believe it’s the first mirrorless camera to have the “low pass” filter removed from the image sensor. Visibly I’m seeing sharper images with noticeably better color. I examined several images up to 600% on my 4K monitor. The GX85 definitely convinced me that to appreciate what it’s capable of (and see the image improvements), your next PC needs to be 4K compatible. I extracted of portion of the original photo while viewing it at 300-400% in PS CS. I’ve never been able to do this and retain this level of detail. More good news, I was told the shutter shock has been greatly reduced thanks to a new shutter design using some type of graphite carbon fiber material. According to the specs at 1/4000, the shutter shock was reduced to 10% of the original level. I’ve never been bothered by shutter shock so I didn’t spend too much time checking this out. Outwardly its mechanical shutter is much quieter. If all this isn’t enough, the smaller body style now offers a 5 axis in body stabilizer, that runs in tandem with Panasonic’s 2 axis in lens system – BOTH of which now support still images and video. The firmware is optimized to increase stabilization as the lens focal length increases. I shot down to ~1/15sec without any problems. For B&W enthusiasts a new “L Monochrome” photo style (film mode) has been added. I’m in love with this camera! The battery is now charged using a standard USB mini cable, so you no longer need to carry a special charger. I’ve been using my standard Android charger. I’ve only got this camera for a few more days. I’ve posted several photos on my Flickr page, and I’ll try to post others before I have to return it. I wish I had more time to get to know the GX85 which I was told will be coming to a dealer near you very soon. I’m sure many of you will have questions, but unfortunately I’m not going to have this sample long enough to start answering questions.

I included one 300% crop to show how much the image quality has been improved! P1010045. P1010067. P1010067 300 crop.

GX85

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Wasabi Bob

I forgot to add a link to my Flickr page where additional photos are posted. More to come!
    GX85

• Like Like x 1
  3. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    those crops retain a lot of detail
    looking good

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Thanks for posting these @Wasabi Bob@Wasabi Bob ! Can you comment about the moire and aliasing in both 4K and 1080p, given the lack of the AA filter?

The GX80 (or GX85, or GX7 Mk. II) strikes me as a bit of an odd video camera. On one hand, it seems they've had video in mind by implementing 5-axis IBIS during 4K video. On the other hand, it seems they didn't care about video because they removed the AA filter, and also didn't include a mic input jack.

5. Ranter

Ranter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    Randall
    That'll be for next years gx9?..
    I'm very interested in this camera but yeah that is a disappointment

6. Wasabi Bob

As of now I have not shot any video, but I intend to. I asked that same question.The filter has remained there until they were able to perfect a way for the Venus engine to remove the moire using advanced DSP technology. I've seen video shot with another sample and it looks great. From the conversations I've had, the GX85 is not intended to replace, nor was it designed to be a video camera of the same caliber that GH4 or other models are. That probably accounts for the lack of a mic jack. Personally, I see this as a "street shooter" camera. The dual image stabilization worked incredibly well with the new 100-400 lens. Being able to shoot such a long lens, hand held, says a lot.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Agreed. As Bob said above, they didn't intend for this to be a video camera, which is a shame because the omission of the mic input seems like an intentional handcap (just like using a 2.5mm mic input on the GX8 rather than the universal standard 3.5mm).

It seems to me that Panasonic is really guarding the upcoming GH5, which will have a normal 3.5mm mic input as well as headphone output, plus high quality 4K and 1080p video modes (likley 4K 60p which will be amazing), plus hopefully this 5-axis IBIS for 4K.

5-axis IBIS + 4K 60p = stabilized, slow-mo 4K footage :drool:

8. Wasabi Bob

An interesting video I just found ...

• Like Like x 3
  9. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Damn it, that video makes me want to sell my X-E1 for one, that or wait and see if the GM1/GM5 successor will come with at least 2-axis IBIS.

10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Can you speak as to the build quality/materials? Ephotozine made it sound like there was a lot of plastic, does this camera have a GF7 feel to it or is it mostly metal like the GX7 was? Do you know where the plastic parts mainly are?

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It weighs 20g more than the GX7, so I highly doubt it is more cheaply built.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    strangely I've been thinking this IS the GM5 successor

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I wouldn't think so, as it's the same size/weight as the GX7. If this is the successor to the GM5 then they've basically abandoned that product line (which is possible - they may be sticking to the GF range now).

14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    somehow I had got that idea. I recall reading something about "why have an ultra compact GM with an EVF that competes with other things.

IIRC the GX7 is smaller than the GX8 too

15. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    WB, thanks for the thread.

This camera rocks. I'm so happy to see Panasonic dial into such a great combination of size, form factor, features, and price. I think this is a camera that a lot of us are going to want in our bags! I know that I do.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Yep! :2thumbs:

17. Wasabi Bob

From the moment I picked it up it felt very sold, "substantial" is a word that comes to mind. Why do people associate plastic with an inferior quality? Is a Chevy Corvette an inferior car? The GX85's ergonomic design is in a word, "comfortable". If it had an all metal body it would be too heavy for its size. For me definitely not a replacement for GX8 or GH4, but functionally much better in some applications.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The GX80 and GX7 are roughly the same size and both are noticeably smaller than a GX8, yes. However, the GM5 was positively TINY. It's the same size as the GF7, but had an EVF, too. So it's a bit of a unique product. Size comparison: Compact Camera Meter

19. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I ask because the GF7 feels much less solid and tough than my GM5 in the hand. I'm not necessarily against any and all plastic, but the GF7 isn't my kind of camera. I want that good feel in the hand. A cheap hammer might not break in the hand but I still like having a well-made tool.

Sent from my KFARWI using Mu-43 mobile app

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    yes, that bit I knew. Its on that basis that I've considered the GM1 then the GM5 (with an EVF) when it was released. I do wonder if that extra minisculeness (sorry for inventing a word) would be as attractive to me as the features and size benefits of the GX85 ... which I suspect is very similar to my GF1 perhaps smaller.

• Like Like x 1