GX85 dual stabilisation and Mega OIS lens

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Rookie
In another thread, the following was said:
Too many choices. A good way to cull the
list is to insist on a Lumix Power OIS lens,
not Mega OIS, and no Olympus lenses.
Your GX85 has Dual-IS, but only with Power OIS lenses.
I am a bit puzzled by this. I have a GX85, and some lenses that are "Mega OIS" like the 12-32 (3.5-5.6) kit lens and the 35-100, and with both the camera does say "Dual" besides the small hand shaking symbol.
So, I always assumed this meant that dual stab. was effective with those lenses...
I also have an Oly prime lens without stab. and in that case the "Dual" does not appear besides the hand shaking symbol, thus indicating in that case that only the in-body stabilisation is in function.
Could this be clarified please?
Thanks.

Real Name
Keith
Dual IS on panasonic works with both Power and Mega OIS. However, the Power OIS is better.

Panasonic (and Olympus) Dual IS does not work with lenses made by other manufacturers. (i.e. You have to pick Body or Lens if you're using one of the few Olympus stabilized lenses on a Panasonic.)

I think the person in the other thread was just mistaken on the specifics. See:

https://shop.panasonic.com/dual-is

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
It will work. MEGA is older, Power is newer. There is speculation by some that firmware updates may be changing MEGAs to Power, but I don't know if that's true. Supposedly Power has more movement correction, so there may be some physical limitation internally. In any event I wouldn't concern myself too much until you get to the longer glass, unless you shoot a lot in low light.

alessiog94

New to Mu-43
hello I'm new, just purchased a second hand gx80 (gx85 but for EU market). The 12-32 kit lens seems to lack a little in sharpness, maybe it's a fault unit :( I'm looking for the 14-42 mk II that seems to have a really great IQ and sharpness... It's listed as a MEGA OIS, it will give me dual IS on my gx80? thanks in advance

Andy H.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
hello I'm new, just purchased a second hand gx80 (gx85 but for EU market). The 12-32 kit lens seems to lack a little in sharpness, maybe it's a fault unit :( I'm looking for the 14-42 mk II that seems to have a really great IQ and sharpness... It's listed as a MEGA OIS, it will give me dual IS on my gx80? thanks in advance
I've found the diminutive 12-32 to be slightly better than the 14-42, so maybe yours is sub-standard. You will have Dual IS with any "Mega" lens on your GX80.

alessiog94

New to Mu-43
I've found the diminutive 12-32 to be slightly better than the 14-42, so maybe yours is sub-standard. You will have Dual IS with any "Mega" lens on your GX80.
how i can understand if my lens (12-32) are truly sub-standard? can't compare to anything

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
how i can understand if my lens (12-32) are truly sub-standard? can't compare to anything
Do a Google search for reviews of the lens. Or, take a look on this site in the native lens showcase. The 12-32 is in there. You can compare what you're getting to those. My only caution is to make certain you're doing everything else correctly.

When you say "I'm new", we don't know if that means new to the site or new to photography. If the latter, I would spend some time learning before I started passing judgement on a specific piece of equipment. There are some amazing photographers on here, some of who's photos I couldn't hope to emulate if I were standing next to them with the same gear.

User ID

Mu-43 Regular
In another thread, the following was said:

I am a bit puzzled by this. I have a GX85, and some lenses that are "Mega OIS" like the 12-32 (3.5-5.6) kit lens and the 35-100, and with both the camera does say "Dual" besides the small hand shaking symbol.
So, I always assumed this meant that dual stab. was effective with those lenses...
I also have an Oly prime lens without stab. and in that case the "Dual" does not appear besides the hand shaking symbol, thus indicating in that case that only the in-body stabilisation is in function.
Could this be clarified please?
Thanks.
I WROTE THAT and I should not have said there
was no dual IS at all. Dual is least effective with
Mega, and more effective with Power OIS ,,,, and
"Dual-2" is the most effective and not only does
"Dual-2" need Power OIS, but there may even be
some FW updates needed to get Dual-2 if any of
the items involved are not up to date.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom