GX85 Charging

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ScottinPollock, Nov 8, 2017.

1. I know the GX85 has USB charging. My questions are...

1.) Can you use the camera while it is connected to a USB power source?

2.) If the above is yes, can you use a USB power bank?

Evidently the new G9 supports both, but it is not clear from the manual if the GX85 supports this as well.

Thanks!

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just plugged mine in and turned it on. It turns on, but a message on the back says "to begin charging, turn off the camera" so I'm guessing it's not charging while on.

3. Thanks. So it won't charge while the camera is on, but at least the camera can be powered by USB for things like long video or time lapse, right?

And if so, that begs the question, can you use a USB power bank for the same purpose?

4. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    When I first got my GX85 I hooked up a USB charging cable and found that will not power the camera. If you have the camera on, it tries to run from the battery in the battery compartment. So I never use that charging cable, I have a couple of 3rd party chargers (one is generic usually sold with "crap" cheap batteries, and one is a Watson ordered from B&H) and use those for charging batteries. Much more convenient for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. iPete

iPete Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    I can't answer the questions on - using during time lapse - but can confirm that you can charge from a power bank.

6. That's a shame.

Thanks... appreciate all of the responses.

BTW... how do you all find the EVF on the GX85?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The EVF is the GX85s one weak point for me. I have glasses and weak eyesight with them.

The diopter adjustment range is not great, and overall the image is not strong. It reminds me of the Olympus EV-3 or the Sony a6000 VF. I would not position it as a great camera for manual lens use, at least not through the EVF.

However, EVERYTHING else about the camera is the best combination in a compact mirrorless I have used to date. Sony A6000 series has better high ISO, but the GX85 is more fun to use and has better lens options (in terms of price, size and quality). It's smaller than a Fuji with a viewfinder, and from what I've seen sharper output than the Olympus Pens (my last pen was an EPL7. I have not used the Pen-F). The DFD focus really works in my experience. The keeper rate I'm getting out of the lowly P45-150 of my daughter's cross country runs is amazing -- more than 80%.

I am not likely to move off this camera for some time. If there was a GX95 that borrowed from the G9, I might consider that. G9 has a better jpg engine, still better DFD, and a 20MP sensor, though I wouldn't want 20MP sensor unless I get to keep the same pixel sharpness as this current sensor. But I'm figuring I'm going to be shooting with the GX85 for at least 3 years (I also got the 3 year extended warranty that Panasonic was offering during a sale).

Not sure what you are shooting, but for travel, family casual, and now even outdoor sports (!) I'm finding it works.

8. Krandall

Krandall Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2017
    Metrowest, Boston
    Karen Randall
    I agree. I absolutely love this camera... except for the EVF. Coming from DSLR-land, it stinks. However, in the 6 months I've had it, I've come to trust it enough that I only use the EVF for framing. And even in Borneo last month, there were only a few times when I really needed the EVF rather than the screen on the back of the camera. It's a different way of shooting, but I'm getting used to it. The photos are stunning. I hardly took my DSLR out of the bag... and I never took it when hiking the GX85 did everything.
    one word about the USB... While I agree it would be nice if you could shoot with it connected, the USB in the car seems to charge significantly quicker than the batteries in a stand-alone charger. So there have been days when I never had to change the battery (even with a lot of shooting) as long as I plugged it into the car in between.

9. iPete

iPete Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    It has taken me 4/5 months to start using the EVF on the GX85, I have no benchmark as to what 'good' is - except years of using a DSLR - and I'm beginning to enjoy using it.

What changed it for me was the discovery that you can - with your right thumb - move the focus point on the touch screen while looking through the EVF.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Krandall

Krandall Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2017
    Metrowest, Boston
    Karen Randall
    I'll have to try that!!!

11. m43cjh

m43cjh New to Mu-43

Nov 10, 2017
    Even though you can't charge/power from USB while the camera is on, there are ways to work around it. For long video, I've used one of those battery compartment adapters meant for running the camera off AC power, and there are inexpensive converters to plug it in to a USB battery pack. I've used this to get a little over 8 hours of continuous recording from a 10,000 mAh pack. There are a few drawbacks, like needing to make sure you stop your recording before the USB battery dies or you lose your entire video. Not as convenient as the G9, but it works!

12. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    USB power bank. 5v.
    5v to 9v step up adapter lead.
    AC dummy battery.
    Portable power.

13. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    Yes, cheaper the better. Mine was less than £8 from eBay with the power supply, which is great at home or in the studio on a tripod.

14. kajunito

kajunito Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2012
    Amsterdam
    Luis
    Thanks a lot for the info