GX85 Battery Life - Shelf/Stored

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I have owned more digital camera bodies than I care to name or count, but almost all of them have behaved well with regards to battery drain/discharge when sitting on a shelf stored between shoots. The champs have been my Nikon DSLR's with their huge batteries, and my Ricoh GR did do a full drain after being stored for months, so I can't quite hold it against the Ricoh. But, my GX85 that I acquired this summer seems to be taking after those rogue Nikon D500's that drained their batteries just sitting on the shelf for short periods of time. My normal MO is to charge up a camera's battery after a shoot in case I go out shortly thereafter. Most seem to show no loss on the battery bar in the camera, but the GX85 almost always seems to show a one bar drop after only a week or two. Even my GF7 with its tiny battery is better behaved. Does anybody else experience this level of drainage from their GX85 when on the shelf? I can understand a little, but this just seems more than what I would consider normal. Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi,
My E-3 seemed to do that. I resorted to always taking the batteries out when home.

Someone mentioned in another thread recently that salt water intrusion can cause problems like that.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My G85 batteries show no signs of loss after about two weeks, still have three bars when I put them in the camera. Not sure if they flatten quicker though. I leave my camera in the power saving mode not turned off when not using it and the batteries last a long while that way as well.
I am using Panasonic batteries.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi,
My E-3 seemed to do that. I resorted to always taking the batteries out when home.

Someone mentioned in another thread recently that salt water intrusion can cause problems like that.
Camera is less than four months old and has seen no foul weather.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
My G85 batteries show no signs of loss after about two weeks, still have three bars when I put them in the camera. Not sure if they flatten quicker though. I leave my camera in the power saving mode not turned off when not using it and the batteries last a long while that way as well.
I am using Panasonic batteries.
Using the Panasonic battery that shipped with the camera and an external Panasonic charger.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
With the GX85 can you charge via USB? If you can maybe try that to check if the external battery charger is charging properly.
Yes, you should be able to charge via USB. I have not yet done so (but should) as I have the charger from the GF7 which is the exact same model that Panasonic sells for the GX85 and it seems to operate as it should for both camera's batteries. I am heading out of town tomorrow and wanted to take the GX85 as it is smaller than my E-M1 so the battery is charging up at the moment on the charger. I plan to bring a USB cable and a power pack for both the camera and my phone in case of emergency (as well as the charger).

Thanks,

--Ken

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
My advice? Don't worry about it. The battery is an easily swappable part that doesn't even cost much. Buy another. Keep them both charged. Swap 'em if you need to.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
My advice? Don't worry about it. The battery is an easily swappable part that doesn't even cost much. Buy another. Keep them both charged. Swap 'em if you need to.
I don't disagree about the battery. I was wondering if it was the camera.

--Ken

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I don't think so. My battery doesn't hold a charge forever in the camera, but it's gone through a lot of cycles so I don't think it's very robust anymore. I can't recall it draining in camera earlier in its life cycle.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yep, there is definitely an anomaly with the GX80/85 battery life. I started this thread back in June:

GX80 battery draining when switched off?

A little while later, whilst on holiday, I bought a spare third party battery for my GX80. On my last evening away, I charged all 4 of my M4/3 batteries. Life then got a bit manic and I didn't use the cameras again until last weekend. Both GX80 batteries (including the out of camera 3rd party battery) were completely drained, whilst both EM10 batteries still held a good charge.

In use, both GX80 batteries work fine, they just don't hold a charge whilst stored.

For me its not a major problem, it just means I'll have to be a little more thoughtful in maintaining the battery levels.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I am reviving this thread as I have a trip coming up and I would like to bring my GX85, which has mostly sat on the shelf since my E-M1 is my daily driver, and the above issue kind of left me sour on this body last year. I noticed that Panasonic released a firmware update, v1.2, that I have not installed, and I was wondering if anybody knows if this has any impact on the battery drain while stored. The items that they list as being addressed did not impact my normal use, so I was not in a hurry to update, but they sometimes also fix bugs and do not mention them in the release notes. Anybody notice any different behavior with regards to battery life (stored) after updating to v1.2?

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Having adopted an out of sight, out of mind approach to this annoying issue for the past few months, I cam across a number of images from the camera while culling today and really noticed how much I liked them. So, despite that I am not a fan of its EVF, I would like to start using this body more. This leaves me with the choice of putting up with the battery drain issue, or sending it to Panasonic for a possible repair. In light of some recent posts about the lack of good service from Panasonic in the US, I am not sure which is the better path. Even my local dealer rolled his eyes when I mentioned a possible repair by Panasonic. It is still under its extended warranty, so other than shipping costs and who know what possible aggravation from having to deal with Panasonic, there should be no costs. Any thoughts, especially from those who have recently had service done by them?

--Ken

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Well if it goes away, it should return with the latest software, plus gives you peace of mind.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Well if it goes away, it should return with the latest software, plus gives you peace of mind.
That was my hope. But Panasonic doe not have a good repair track record here in the US. So, getting a piece of mind may cost me some additional frustration first.

--Ken

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
I didn't see mentioned here just how long we're talking about here.

The camera is never really off if the battery is in. It powers circuitry to turn the camera on in case a time lapse is set to go off, and keeps the battery charged that keeps the clock and EPROM alive.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Most recent report I've seen (here?) was an excellent report on service from McAllen (Panasonic Service Center). Someone reported last week about getting a phone call confirming process, and a follow up call confirming mailing address. Sounds like reports of their improving the process are true. With releaee if the S1, they are reported to have also upgraded the responsiveness of the service center.

If you send it in (I would), please report back here with your results. Let's encourage Panasonic to keep improving.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I didn't see mentioned here just how long we're talking about here.

The camera is never really off if the battery is in. It powers circuitry to turn the camera on in case a time lapse is set to go off, and keeps the battery charged that keeps the clock and EPROM alive.
I understand. But my body can drain a freshly charged Panasonic battery in a week or two. No other camera body that I have owned (and I have owned more than I care to count), including the D500, has ever drained a battery that quickly and consistently. Even my GF7 with its tiny battery lasts for months without a full drain. There were reports here and on other sites about this issue, and some thought it was due to a faulty PCB board. It has been this way from day one, and I should have exchanged it, but I did not discover it in time.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Most recent report I've seen (here?) was an excellent report on service from McAllen (Panasonic Service Center). Someone reported last week about getting a phone call confirming process, and a follow up call confirming mailing address. Sounds like reports of their improving the process are true. With releaee if the S1, they are reported to have also upgraded the responsiveness of the service center.

If you send it in (I would), please report back here with your results. Let's encourage Panasonic to keep improving.
This is encouraging news! And of course I will report back if I do.

--Ken

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
This is encouraging news! And of course I will report back if I do.

--Ken
Good luck with the repair. Mine caught me out last week though it was my own fault. I used my GX80 trying to replicate a situation that @WaltP reported with the EVF darkening during focus assist magnification. The camera died within a minute or so of use. I forgot about it and then a few days later I took the camera on a 5 mile hike to a very scenic location. I swapped to the spare battery which of course was also completely dead.

I think I got around 3 weeks out of the in camera battery with a little use in between. I'm not so sure about the out of camera battery, I think I last charged it maybe 6-8 weeks ago but I did leave it on the 3rd party charging shoe. This is a habit I'm trying to break, though it was never a problem with my EM10's spare battery.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom