GX85/80 - How do I customize what's shown on the rear display?

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hey guys,

I bought a GX85 to complement my EM1 as a second body for casual shooting. Naturally, coming from Olympus, I'm lost with the Panasnic menus. I am trying to figure out how to set up something that compares to the Olympus Super Control Panel, where I can adjust the camera's setting really quickly.

I have found out that by pressing the DISP. button, I can pull up a screen with "On-monitor recording information" that comes pretty close to it. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to exit this screen back directly into the one with just the tilt-sensor display. By default, after getting into the screen I want, when I press the DISP. button again, the screen turns off. Why in the world would I want that? In addition, it seems I must cycle through a bunch of views that I don't want in order to even get back to the view with the tilt-display only. How can I customize it that I can switch ONLY between the two views that I need and discard the others?

Furthermore, in the screens with the "additional information", how can I hide some of the icons along the top? They really clutter up the display and distract. I want the one for movie recording "MP4..." and for flash to go away.

In addition, there's those three tabs on the right of the screen. One of those tabs lets you access those virtual Fn buttons, so that's nice. But how do I get rid of the top one with the painter's palette icon? I don't want it, and it takes up needless space and just clutters up the screen.

Thanks!

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
So, upon further random pressing of all the buttons :whistling: I think that the Q.menu is what I'm looking for. It allows me to quickly access the most important features to adjust, and it returns me exactly into the same screen I was in before. I just didn't think of pressing the trash can button for that before🤦‍♀️

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
Hopefully someone that shoots both systems will chime in. I only shoot Panasonic so don't have a reference to the Super Control Panel. From what you are describing though I think that the Panasonic Quick Menu may be what you want. The Quick menu ships with a functional set of defaults but it is very customizable.

Concerning the painters pallet tab, I think you are stuck with that.

Looks like you figured it out while I was typing ;)

WT21

Super Moderator
Q-menu is the closest to the SCP. The SCP is a bit easier to navigate and a few more options. one thing I do - is shut off the virtual buttons on the Panasonic touch screen. I just find them confusing, and stick with what I can load into the Q-menu, and of course the function keys. I prefer Panasonic cameras for a number of reasons, but the SCP, IMO, is better than the Q-menu :)

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
one thing I do - is shut off the virtual buttons on the Panasonic touch screen.
Hey @WT21 – do you mean when you shut those off, the tabs disappear entirely? If so, any tips on how to achieve this quickly? (Yes, I have the PDF manual open and I'm searching already, but hey, if you happen to know :rolleyes: )

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
In some ways the Q-Menu is the closest to the SCP, in others it's not. Yes it's what Panasonic has designed to function like the SCP with one button access then tap to change settings. But how it functions has always annoyed me. It's better with a touch than it was without it (the LX100 vI didn't have touch).

But what would be MUCH better is if you could disable some of the screens shown when using the display button. If you could go from your desired screen to the recording information screen and back one of my biggest complaint with using a Panasonic would be solved. I've just never understood why they force users to cycle through screens with and without a level gauge when turning the guage on and off is the default action one of the on screen function buttons.

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@davidzvi I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this. I have also found out that I can customize the Q.menu, but then – inexplicably – the options are presented in a single horizontal line that I have to advance via arrow keys. But I'm not getting the much more sensible layout of one row at the top, one at the bottom that the preset Q.menu offers. Baffling. Oh, well, different brand, different menus.

By the way, is there an option to engage the touch screen shutter while *not* having the touch tab visible on the right? @Andy H. mentioned how to turn it off, and I like not seeing it, but it seems that I cannot access the touch screen shutter (touch screen = focus + taking the shot) anywhere else. I didn't find an option to put it on any of the fn buttons either.

(Just to clarify – despite my questions, I am enjoying some of the Panasonic features that my Olympus EM1 doesn't have, so it's not all bad :thumbsup: )

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
@davidzvi I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this. I have also found out that I can customize the Q.menu, but then – inexplicably – the options are presented in a single horizontal line that I have to advance via arrow keys. But I'm not getting the much more sensible layout of one row at the top, one at the bottom that the preset Q.menu offers. Baffling. Oh, well, different brand, different menus.

By the way, is there an option to engage the touch screen shutter while *not* having the touch tab visible on the right? @Andy H. mentioned how to turn it off, and I like not seeing it, but it seems that I cannot access the touch screen shutter (touch screen = focus + taking the shot) anywhere else. I didn't find an option to put it on any of the fn buttons either.

(Just to clarify – despite my questions, I am enjoying some of the Panasonic features that my Olympus EM1 doesn't have, so it's not all bad :thumbsup: )
I'm pretty sure in the end I used a combination of a custom Q-Menu (just the first 5), the on screen function buttons (the ones you have turned off), and physical buttons.

Which E-M1 do you have and what functions are you finding you like? I have the E-M1.2 and am considering a Pen F. I had also considered the GX9, but Lightroom 6.14 (the last standalone doesn't support it). Just curious if there is a feature that might tip the decision. I did enjoy stills from 4k when I had the GX85.

Julia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Which E-M1 do you have and what functions are you finding you like? I have the E-M1.2 and am considering a Pen F.
I have the EM1.1, and I would have loved a Pen-F, but that's not in the budget for a second "just-for-casual-shooting" body, unfortunately. I do love my EM1 as my main work horse and I am very happy with the images I am getting (albeit, I would love a bit more sharpness and a tad less noise, but then – if I'd be willing to invest more money and carry heavier gear, that could be solved. So for the money I spent, I'm getting magnificent bang for the buck.)

The features I've discovered on the Panasonic so far that I really like:

1. The large on-screen tilt gauge. I find that always hold my camera tilted, and on the Olympus cameras, I have to watch the little gauges closely to get it straight. Having the large overlay that the Panasonic has (and which I have already admired on my photo buddy's G81) is so much easier to see.
2. I like how, when you use manual focus, a little rectangle on the screen turns into a "loupe" (sort of like a picture-in-picture view) so you can easily check if you got the focus right. Since I often use manual focus in my photography, especially when I use filters, I find it very cumbersome on the EM1 to always have the *entire* screen show the magnified view. I like the little PIP version of Panasonic much better.
3. The dragging of the focus area on screen is much easier and smoother than on my EM1. There, it lags behind significantly, whereas it's incredibly responsive on the GX80 and is always right underneath my finger.
4. The Pinpoint focus option – which shows the same PIP magnification as in MF mode – is pretty sweet as well. Sometimes, when using AF on the Olympus, I wish I could make the focus area smaller because I want to capture something very specific, but it doesn't catch it just right. With Panasonic's Pinpoint focus option, that has worked out rather well.
5. For quick and dirty focus stacking, the Post Focus feature is amazing! Sure, you only get .jpgs as output ( Olympus is no better here), but the results are pretty amazing. I haven't yet played extensively with the focus bracketing, but as far as I can tell, it seems to be a bit easier to handle than Olympus'. There, I usually struggled with getting the settings right so I wouldn't end up with out-of-focus areas within my stack if the steps were set to a large number. Hard to explain, but from my first quick attempts, this seems a tad easier.

And now that I've found out how to – very comfortably – set the AE lock and persist it for consecutive pictures, I need to dig up my EM1's manual and find out how to do it there. I was always annoyed about not being able to do that, but also too lazy to simply look it up :laugh:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom