GX80 specs "leaked"

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JensM, Apr 2, 2016.

1. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    Looks pretty good. Two dials, tilt screen, basic IBIS, and a solid EVF -- the essentials covered. But like a lot of new cameras, it's just repackaging existing technology. With the GX-8 upsizing and up-pricing, they don't have much to compete with the E-M10. This looks like a solid option.
  3. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I'll bet it won't; but I really want a 4K camera with a microphone input. Will end up with a G7 I guess, but I've been hoping for another option.
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It wouldn't surprise me if both are correct. Panasonic has a history of using multiple names for multiple markets (i.e. ZS100/TZ100).
  5. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    And the LX200 gets mentioned !
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    New Zealand
    If it is the smallest MFT camera then I would take it as the replacement of the GM5 and will not have any hopes for a GM7.
  7. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    That would look good all black. Is ibis confirmed for this body?
  8. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Lumix-GX80.jpg Confronto-GX.jpg IMG_2497.jpg
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  9. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    I actually like the viewfinder more on the cheaper camera. It sticks out less and I'm not sure I need one that tilts anyhow.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Wow, looks really nice. Shame the comparison shot was taken with a super wide angle lens, it's not really possible to get an objective sense of scale with the GX7 there.

I like that they're (seemingly) selling it with the 12-32 kit lens, also. It goes really well with the vibe of the camera compared to the 14-42, and it puts to shame the Sony collapsible 16-50 PZ that comes with the older A6000 that this will likely be competing against. I'm assuming they'll be pricing it a chunk less than the GX8, which competes in the same market as the A6300.
  11. tkbslc

The pancake is nice optically and has a useful 12mm end, but there are a lot of annoyances with that lens that make me really appreciate the 14-42 II. Since this isn't going be a pocketable camera, I don't know if the compromised pancake lens makes a ton of sense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Looks like a GX7.
  13. tkbslc

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Judging from the specs leaked in another thread, it's essentially a G7 with IBIS crammed into a GX7 body with a non-tilting EVF.
  14. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Since getting a a GX7 I have become fond of the tiltable viewfinder. It's handy for approaching suspicious animals, as it makes it seem you're looking somewhere other than directly at them. And if the sun's behind you it can give you a bit of wiggle room. It's not an essential, but I do use it more than a non-tiltable one.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    I'll admit it's probably one of those things you don't know you "need" until you have one, haha.
  16. peppermonkey

peppermonkey Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Wow...looks really nice. I think I may have gone for that if it was available when I got the GX8. Then again, now that I have the GX8, I don't think I can go back to any camera that has less controls and that beautiful EVF. GX80 certainly should have come out the same time as the GX8. Would have relieved all those complaining about how big the GX8 was and how it "wasn't" a true successor to the GX7. Anyhow, I think the new GX80 is one of the nicest looking M43 cameras. Not as polished looking like the Oly Pen-F but cleaner and sleeker lines than the Pen-F.
  17. peppermonkey

peppermonkey Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Fell in love with the tilt after having it with the first optional EVF (LVF1) for the GF1, and haven't looked back ;)
  18. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    It's certainly true that the capabilities of one's tools have a strong influence over the work you can do.

For example: Looking Up At Spain - GX7 Swivel EVF
  19. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Hmmm...a little bit smaller than the GX8, but not likely to reduce the overall size of a bag required to hold the camera and a couple of lenses. But the loss of some physical controls and sizable grip.

But hey, if this drives down the prices of used GX8s, then I'm all for it!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    With the recent price drop of the GX8 to $1,000, I'd expect the GX80 to be either $700 or $800. FWIW, the E-M5 II is $1100 and the E-M10 II is $300 cheaper at $800.

The GX80 is looking to be a cracking little camera. I just hope that they don't use the same EVF as the GX7...