GX80 or EM5 II from G6 + LX100 combo

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Kralin, Jul 21, 2016.

1. GX85 + 12-32 + 35-100 + 25mm 1.4 + 42.5mm 1.7

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. EM5 II+ 12-32 + 35-100 + 25mm 1.4 + 42.5mm 1.7

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. LX100 + G6 + 35-100 + 25mm 1.4 + 42.5mm 1.7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kralin

Kralin Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 14, 2013
    Cambridge, UK
    Hi there,

I currently own a panasonic G6 with these lenses:

Pana 25mm 1.4
    Pana 42.5 1.7
    Sigma 60mm 2.8

And I also have a nissin i40 that I use as much as I can.

Until 6 months ago I also own the great 12-35 2.8, and it was a great combo with the G6, but too bulky to carry around for me and was often staying home.
    So I sold it and for the same money got the LX100. Great camera, I felt in love with all the manual controls, the leaf shutter and the in camera raw processing that let me use a lot more the jpgs straight out of the camera.
    Also the multi aspect switch and macro mode are nice.
    However this camera has some big issues for me:
    - the EVS is just too small.
    - no swivel or touch screen
    - the power zoom
    - the limited range

Since I started to use the LX100 the G6 start to feel dated, but the output I get there with the prime is a notch above the LX100.
    Also in these days being without any stabilisation like with the g6 + 25mm is starting to feel stupid. And the two cameras have different batteries, wich means two chargers to carry around.

I wish I could mount the primes on the LX100, wich leads me to the big decision: sell G6, LX100, sigma 60 and get gx80 + 12-32 + 35-100.

I am going to miss the fast zoom probably, but you cannot have everything... And I need a zoom in that range given the little girl I have that loves to run anywhere.
    I also definitely need a zoom in the range of 35-100 for family trips, and the pana is very compact and decent quality and I don't need it to be fast. I had the 45-200 and the 14-140 II before but they were huge for me and I did not like the quality.

The problem I have is that the oly EM5 II could work as well...
    while I shoot 4k videos with the lx100, they end up sitting on my computer waiting to me downscaled. I do not have a 4k tv, and the gx80 as the same small 16:9 evf I don't like in the lx100.
    The em5 is more or less the same size, but with a bigger evf, articulated screen (a plus) and many creative options other that hires mode.
    The issue it has, is that I am not sure it will handle pana lenses correctly, because they all need corrections.
    Would it work with the 12-32 nicely?
    I definitely need at least 12mm on the wide side. Had the 9-18 before, but was not impressed with the quality.
    Also I do not like the oly menu at all, but I like manual controls.

Should I stick with an all panasonic set?

Or should I keep the fast zoom of the lx100 and just swap the 60mm for a 35-100 and get over my GAS? :)

2. Estrellas321

Estrellas321 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    I was in your shoes before in some ways. I used to think the LX100 would fill my need of a fast zoom rather than having the 12-35mm f2.8 lens and switching to that with a single body. So in one vacation, I took my LX100 + GX7 with 20mm pancake mounted (also had the 12-32mm and 35-100mm in my bag). But I ended up leaving the LX100 in the house I slept and never felt the need for it!

But now you have the option of the GX85 which pretty much does it all for you. But if you don't need 4K video (with the exception of 4K photo) the EM5 II is a perfectly capable camera. Pretty sure the differences on how Oly cameras handle Panny lenses are extremely minor. I'm sure there are numerous threads here or on DPR covering it.

Play with your EM5 II more worth your Panny lenses. If you like how it looks, then great. If something is odd, Google and see if there are issues with the combination. If you're not willing to overcome the Oly menu, then perhaps sell it for the GX85. It uses the same battery as the LX100 which is very convenient, if you decide to keep that.

3. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    FWIW, I bought a 12-32 recently to replace a scratched 14-42 kit lens. I took it on a trip to Yellowstone and to be honest, aside from the little extra on the wide side, and the compact size, I was not super impressed with the lens. Enough so that I bought a used Olympus 12-40 upon my return. I'll probably keep the 12-32 on my GX-1 because it's compact enough that I can take it on rock climbing routes, but I doubt it will ever go back on the newer GX-8, or see any day to day use. Maybe my copy is soft or my old 14-42 kit was a better than average copy, but I got better results out of the other lens or the Sigma 19mm.

I also have the 35-100 and the 42.5 f1.7. The 42.5 is an absolute gem. I have a little one as well, and while she can't move very fast yet, that lens gives me the most keepers, and might be my favorite of all my lenses. I haven't really used the 35-100 much, but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. I just don't shoot that range very often. It did get me a decent shot of the Tetons (despite the poor light), though: P1020644.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kralin

Kralin Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 14, 2013
    Cambridge, UK
    Thanks both.
    playing with the EM5 might be worth it, but it is probably better to do it in a shop. Not sure I can buy one and resell it without loosing money.

I am not expecting miracles from the 12-32, the idea is to have a compact zoom as a walk around lens. the 25mm and the 42.7 would be king, possibly adding a 17mm or a 15 prime.

I never needed the 35-100 range before really, but with the british summer (3 days long) we went to a zoo, a park and a farm, and the LX100 range was just not enough, I did miss lots of opportunities.
    In daylight I value a set of compact zoom, I know it will not be like the 12-35, but we cannot overcome the was of physics :)
    The 42.7 is the portrait king for me, and the 60mm lost any real use (even because it does focus a lot slower).
    I guess I would be happy in some occasions to go out with the gx80 or em5 and the 25mm only as well. but with the g6 it is too big.

I am just trying to be practical and invest the money on something I use often, and not having expensive lenses sitting on a shelf.

5. Estrellas321

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Oops, I read incorrectly and thought you had an EM5 II already! So I thought if you already have it, might as well give it a go. But if not, I think the GX85 may be your answer.

The way I see it is that the LX100 gives you the most frequently used range (24-75mm equiv) but you lose out on a tilt screen, pop-up flash if you need it, not having 16mp, and arguably lesser IQ than an actual M43 camera with good lenses. And you have to carry two bodies (can be a plus at times, but not every day). But carry one very good body like the GX85 (or even EM5 II, up to you) then you get the most out of your body and lenses. That is *exactly* why I sold my LX100 in favour of the GX7 some months ago and I have never looked back.

6. Kralin

Kralin Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 14, 2013
    Cambridge, UK
    Thanks, can I ask what do you use most as lens on the gx7?

7. Estrellas321

Feb 19, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    On average, that would be the 20mm f1.7 pancake without a doubt. I now own the PL15 and am giving that a go.

8. Kralin

Kralin Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 14, 2013
    Cambridge, UK
    I see. The pl15 is also on the list. Since I started to make photos with the phones that focal lenght became familiar...
    I have just discovered that the 12-32 needs to be collapsed manually. I had the same mechanism with the 9-18 and I was not superhappy with it...
    Too bad they don't to a gx80-pl15 kit!

9. Kralin

Kralin Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 14, 2013
    Cambridge, UK
    Ok the LX100 is almost sold, auction ending tomorrow. The g6 will follow.
    This leads me to around 500£ to invest.

Gx80 pro:
    • I can have the kit with the 12-32 at the same price of a em5 ii grey import
    • Better sensor (in theory) with no aa filter
    • Better video, even at 1080p, with possibility to crop abd zoom 4x in
    • 4k photo, but I really don't use it
    • Better menu system (for me)
    • Better controls, but with big flaws as well
    • Less prone to break, and panasonic uk warranty
    Em5 II grey import pro:
    • Much better evf
    • Articulated screen (plus for me)
    • Marginally better ibis
    • Better looking
    • Better creative functions for stills
    • Flash can trigger remote ones
    • Weather sealed.
    • 3 year seller warranty
    Overall the em5 is going to cost more, but not a huge difference.
    This is going to be my only camera, and needs to handle from walk in the park with my family, to a portrait in an amateur studio setup.

Also I am not sure it makes sense to invest in a 12-32 if I buy the em5, it might make more sense to buy one between 14mm 2.5, 15mm 1.7, 17mm 1.8