GX80, GX9, or E-M10 mk IV ?

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But you don’t really need a new camera.
True. It's a tension between my insecurities about the future of Olympus and a bout of GAS attack. People will say a camera is a camera and whatever lurks in the future for Oly won't affect our ability to find another brand. But I resent it very personally. I'm just a hobbyist, I began photography in the early 90's with an OM-1 and the only other camera I've ever been comfortable with besides my OMs (there were others) and XA has been the New Cannonet 17QL. I've tried countless Canon, Nikon, Pentax, you name it I probably tried it, and never felt at ease. It took me an awfully long time to switch to digital until Olympus came up with the E-P1, because nothing else I tried worked for me before.

So if I have to switch allegiance, I'd better get a leg up, and sooner rather than later. And as I said, my venerable E-M5 while fun is closer to retirement than it ever was. No hurry, just to be ready.
M.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
True. It's a tension between my insecurities about the future of Olympus and a bout of GAS attack. People will say a camera is a camera and whatever lurks in the future for Oly won't affect our ability to find another brand. But I resent it very personally. I'm just a hobbyist, I began photography in the early 90's with an OM-1 and the only other camera I've ever been comfortable with besides my OMs (there were others) and XA has been the New Cannonet 17QL. I've tried countless Canon, Nikon, Pentax, you name it I probably tried it, and never felt at ease. It took me an awfully long time to switch to digital until Olympus came up with the E-P1, because nothing else I tried worked for me before.

So if I have to switch allegiance, I'd better get a leg up, and sooner rather than later. And as I said, my venerable E-M5 while fun is closer to retirement than it ever was. No hurry, just to be ready.
M.
Hmm, so are you planning to switch all your lenses to Panasonic too, or what is the problem?

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hmm, so are you planning to switch all your lenses to Panasonic too, or what is the problem?
Oh no, I'm keeping the lenses. I don't have a problem, I just seek some real-world feedback on that small corner of the "discerning connoisseur" market.
M.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Oh no, I'm keeping the lenses. I don't have a problem, I just seek some real-world feedback on that small corner of the "discerning connoisseur" market.
M.
Hmm, I don't understand your reply & what is the problem with Olympus' future in your opinion.

You could just buy E-M10 II for cheap for now, and upgrade more later. That camera should work at least 4 years with heavy usage (like my 1st one).

How does Olympus' future affect anything if you don't plan to ditch your Olympus lenses either or switch systems?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have a JCC grip and a long thumb rest on my GX80 which make a great difference to the handling for little cost and weight.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
This is one thing I liked in GX9 more than GX80. It has a bit more depth in the grip. And larger thumb grip, which feels like a big deal to me in handling.

For GX9 (and GX80) one can also buy the 20 € 3D printed grip from ebay which is very lightweight, with battery door opening.

How much does GX9 cost nowadays? Can one get it body-only? I bought mine 1,5 years ago for 600 € new.
I don’t think they sell it body only still, and oddly enough it only ships with the kit 12-60, which is a bit bigger than the 12-32 pancake. You can pick one up used body-only, but that’s not quite the same.

Tili

New to Mu-43
This is one thing I liked in GX9 more than GX80. It has a bit more depth in the grip. And larger thumb grip, which feels like a big deal to me in handling.

For GX9 (and GX80) one can also buy the 20 € 3D printed grip from ebay which is very lightweight, with battery door opening.

How much does GX9 cost nowadays? Can one get it body-only? I bought mine 1,5 years ago for 600 € new.
I got my GX9, body only, for €360. About 2 months ago. - second hand

Last edited:

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular

M.
I wouldn’t sweat an internationally recognized Japanese brand is allowed to perish. Thats from having worked with them in tech. Either do nothing until you have to or, get another E-M5. It complements what you have from a size/use pov. Frankly it’s a body I’d prefer to travel with. It's a known commodity and you’ve nixed a lot of others. I can’t use an slr style body. Have you tried a flat top?

Real Name
Deryck
I really like it that Peter Fosgard said in his recent video that although he knew the EM5iii was a better camera in
many ways and had more features, but he preferred the e-M10iv and would be using that from now on because it was better at the things that were important to him (grip and flippy screen).

My cameras have loads of features that I just don't use.
Oddly enough I use them to take photographs, nothing else .

Sometimes they take better photos than I could ever imagine I was capable of, and that is why I keep this hobby going.
Most of the time the photos aren't that good and that's because I am not a full time photographer and don't take enough photos, not because my kit isn't good enough.

The only real jump in technical performance I noticed was going from the e-pm1 to the e-m10i,
There were shots with that e-mi0 that I could not have achieved with the e-pm1 (more MP, better IBIS, better dynamic range, better ISO range etc.).
But since my e-m10, I think that the thousands of photo's I have taken has had more impact on my photography than the later cameras I bought.

The e-M5ii, Em1ii I now own have advantages over the e-m10i, but 95% of the time I know I could taken the same photos with my old e-M10i and the results wouldn't be that different. The lenses however have made much more of a difference.

20 vs 16 MP: I tend to take everything landscape and often crop portrait from them, the 20Mp makes a bit of a difference but otherwise I don't really notice it.

Range finder: I bought a GX80 to try at a very good price (I was thinking of getting a pen-F and wasn't sure if a range finder would suit me- it didn't).
I should have sold it for a profit but gave it to my Son-in-Law instead. But a really lovely camera that he is very fond of.

I will have my Olympus's long after they are out of warranty and possibly even after Olympus have shut down.
If a camera breaks, I'll find another mu43 camera; if someone is still making Mu43 cameras or a second hand one.
It will save me selling and buying a host of lenses. If I can't find one then I will buy a new system.
As technology progresses I can't imagine a new camera in 5 years time being worse than my e-m5ii and that is more than good enough for me now

A long ramble as usual, but ignore me and everyone else, decide what is important for you, find a shop and try out
different cameras and decide. Now is probably a good time to buy a new mu43 camera there will be a dip in sales and prices.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I really like it that Peter Fosgard said in his recent video that although he knew the EM5iii was a better camera in
many ways and had more features, but he preferred the e-M10iv and would be using that from now on because it was better at the things that were important to him (grip and flippy screen).

My cameras have loads of features that I just don't use.
Oddly enough I use them to take photographs, nothing else .

Sometimes they take better photos than I could ever imagine I was capable of, and that is why I keep this hobby going.
Most of the time the photos aren't that good and that's because I am not a full time photographer and don't take enough photos, not because my kit isn't good enough.

The only real jump in technical performance I noticed was going from the e-pm1 to the e-m10i,
There were shots with that e-mi0 that I could not have achieved with the e-pm1 (more MP, better IBIS, better dynamic range, better ISO range etc.).
But since my e-m10, I think that the thousands of photo's I have taken has had more impact on my photography than the later cameras I bought.

The e-M5ii, Em1ii I now own have advantages over the e-m10i, but 95% of the time I know I could taken the same photos with my old e-M10i and the results wouldn't be that different. The lenses however have made much more of a difference.

20 vs 16 MP: I tend to take everything landscape and often crop portrait from them, the 20Mp makes a bit of a difference but otherwise I don't really notice it.

Range finder: I bought a GX80 to try at a very good price (I was thinking of getting a pen-F and wasn't sure if a range finder would suit me- it didn't).
I should have sold it for a profit but gave it to my Son-in-Law instead. But a really lovely camera that he is very fond of.

I will have my Olympus's long after they are out of warranty and possibly even after Olympus have shut down.
If a camera breaks, I'll find another mu43 camera; if someone is still making Mu43 cameras or a second hand one.
It will save me selling and buying a host of lenses. If I can't find one then I will buy a new system.
As technology progresses I can't imagine a new camera in 5 years time being worse than my e-m5ii and that is more than good enough for me now

A long ramble as usual, but ignore me and everyone else, decide what is important for you, find a shop and try out
different cameras and decide. Now is probably a good time to buy a new mu43 camera there will be a dip in sales and prices.
I would never buy an ILC without MySets/Custom Modes. E-M10 IV doesn't as far as I know and that is reason enough for me to never consider it.

Real Name
Deryck
I would never buy an ILC without MySets/Custom Modes.
I stopped using custom modes on my em1 because I lost too many photos.
I could never remember which setting did what , and I'd leave the dial in the wrong position a real mess.
If I was taking photos every day and using it all the time, I might just remember, but in practice I don't.

But that's exactly what I mean, we all use different things in our cameras.
Similarly I wouldn't buy a camera without a silent shutter or view finder

It is for the OP to decide what's important, not us to tell him.

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
I have a plethora of m43 cameras - I upgrade, meaning to sell, but often don't. Plus I just really love the little beauties - each has a place in my heart and I still use (most of) them.
If you go with the GX9, be sure to get the Panny grip (same one as for the GX85) - fits the camera like a glove, small, unobtrusive, transforms the handling. I like the rangefinder styling, but overall it doesn't feel as comfortable to me as the EM10.II.
To the current question, I think the EM5.II and the EM10.II were the best cameras in those lines. I know there are features, especially in video, in later models that some people need / want, but the build quality and feature set started going down in other areas. The EM1 series, however, just keeps improving, except for the change to fold-out screen. I agree about the flippy screen, especially for street - the fold-out screens are really awkward and easily damaged, although useful in some situations (portrait mode low and high mainly).
Of the models under discussion, I would recommend the EM10.II, especially with the brilliant Oly grip. It is the best designed handgrip ever - it just snaps on and off to change battery or card, and again, really improves the handling. The EM5.II Oly grip, on the other hand, is poorly-designed overkill - I use an aftermarket there.
As for the OP's concern about Oly going under - maybe worry about that in 5 or 10 years. Even if Oly goes out, there are millions of fine m43 cameras out there, many of them barely touched, that will be coming on the used market for a long time. :thumbup:

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I stopped using custom modes on my em1 because I lost too many photos.
I could never remember which setting did what , and I'd leave the dial in the wrong position a real mess.
If I was taking photos every day and using it all the time, I might just remember, but in practice I don't.

But that's exactly what I mean, we all use different things in our cameras.
Similarly I wouldn't buy a camera without a silent shutter or view finder

Yeah, I didn't tell him not to buy such a camera, just warn him that there aren't those options anymore in the IV version and I see them as essential.

Personally the most important for me is putting one MySet for macro setting with a flash. Would be a total PITA to change all the settings every time I go shooting macro or back to normal shooting.

Other important settings can be something like bracketing so there is no need to go to the settings every time.

Another one is Manual Mode with Auto-ISO with certain shutter speeds to freeze movement.

I wouldn't buy a camera without silent shutter or viewfinder either.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would never buy an ILC without MySets/Custom Modes. E-M10 IV doesn't as far as I know and that is reason enough for me to never consider it.
Oh. Now that's a worry... I know they reinstated many features of the mk II that were pared back from the mk III like e-shutter in all pasm modes, but I don't know about custom modes. Maybe I should ask Peter Fosgard under his video review of the camera if it's still missing.
M.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yeah, I didn't tell him not to buy such a camera, just warn him that there aren't those options anymore in the IV version and I see them as essential.
Precisely, that's why I originated the thread ; there are very valuable insights in the replies, and lots of details that I might have overlooked otherwise. Some are not relevant to my shooting habits, some are welcome additions, and some are true deal breakers. Best to know beforehand.

Thanks a lot.

M.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Oh. Now that's a worry... I know they reinstated many features of the mk II that were pared back from the mk III like e-shutter in all pasm modes, but I don't know about custom modes. Maybe I should ask Peter Fosgard under his video review of the camera if it's still missing.
M.
No need, the manual is available to download. No mention of mysets or custom modes.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I had a GX7 and a GX9. Sold both and bought the E-M5.3. I just prefer shooting with my OM-Ds, now the M1.3 and M5.3. Both have the FAS, which I’ve come to appreciate as useful when shooting in portrait mode. But most of the time I keep it turned in, protecting the LCD. I find the chimping doesn’t help all that much with my shooting, and I can do it with the EVF anyway.

The Pannys were good cameras, but the OM-Ds are better in my hand.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom