GX80/GX85 plus 12-32 - Plastic mount version of the lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by davidzvi, Apr 15, 2016.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've seen a few images of the new GX and 12-32 that show the lens with a plastic mount. This would be disappointing.

09e278fa-860a-49c1-99bd-db71ea0b86f2_169.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Panasonic giveth and Panasonic taketh away. I'm seriously allergic to plastic mount lenses!

• Like Like x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can't fathom any legitimate reason why a short lens that weighs 100g would need a metal mount.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I know the feeling.

I understand the sentiment, but why two versions? And it cheapens what is a very nice lens. One that already has issues with the front part that separates.

• Like Like x 1
  5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I won't believe it till I see it, I think that's a fake lens.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Why make a fake? These things are hardly expensive anyhow. Sounds like some Panasonic cost cutting...

• Like Like x 1
  7. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    I would rather have a metal mount, but my plastic mount lenses have all been fine. With such a small lens as the 12-32, I think plastic is sensible as a cost and weight saving move. For a long and heavy lens, there can be stress on the mount, but I am thinking that is a non-issue for the 12-32.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Well, it quite literally cheapens the lens for Panasonic. So that's something, and not that surprising.

That said, Panasonic is much smarter about plastic mounts than some other manufacturers. The Fuji 16-50 has a very fragile plastic mount (2 people I know have had it break!) and has the electrical contacts and ribbon cable integrated into the same piece as the plastic bayonet! It costs more than the lens is worth to replace it. On Panasonic, at least the bayonet just attaches with 3 screws and the electrical contacts are a separate part.

9. tkbslc

I don't think it cheapens the lens because a metal mount means nothing. Well engineered composites are stronger than cheap metals and the whole guts of the lens are plastic anyway. The metal mount was a facade to give some illusion of high build quality, just like the tin sleeve they put around the lens. If they had designed the lens to be all plastic, then they could have made it more durable with parts that snap together. Instead they have a plastic lens with metal parts that fall off.

I don't know why two versions, but they do the same thing with the 14-42 II. The plastic mount one is sold in kits with a camera and the metal mount one is the retail boxes version that sells for $249. I think they want to give the perception of higher quality when you've spend 2x what the lens is worth, so I guess an extra buck for a metal ring on the mount is worth it for marketing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The 12-32 lens has a major issue with the zoom ring coming loose. The key that transfers torque is very shallow and the glue that holds things together loosens up at maybe 40ÂșC. With the metal mount it requires quite a bit of force to mount and dismount the lens so the zoom ring comes off. Plastic lens mounts have some inherent lubrication and will deform a bit so it takes much less torque to get the lens on and off. Cheaper than redesigning the zoom ring interface.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    No it's not really that surprising I guess as a way to reduce costs and yes I know many plastics / composites are better than cheaper metals.

It does cheapen the lens from a perceived value point of view. Check out the resale values of the 14-42 plastic mount versus metal mount versions. I'm not saying it makes the lens worse optically or that it really needs a metal mount based on size / weight. I already own a 12-32 that has the issue with the front part that comes off. If I were to get the GX85 kit I'm not sure which lens would have a higher resale value, a metal mount 12-32 with the issue or a new one with a plastic mount.

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Not something I considered, interesting.

13. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The problem with plastic mounts, aside from their perceived build quality, is that they shed plastic swarf which gets inside the camera and onto the sensor.

14. tkbslc

That kind of sounds like an urban legend. Am I to assume tiny metal shavings occur from using metal lenses?

15. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, that they shed dust is easy to show. Just swipe a damp finger around the mount and you'll come away with black residue. Certainly the plastic mount on the Olympus 14-42 kit lens I had did this. I can't see how this can fail to get on the sensor.

16. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    In 40 years of looking inside cameras I've seen metal shavings. Infrequently. I haven't yet seen plastic shavings. I know which is rather have inside my camera :)

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  17. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I only have metal mount lenses, and the residue still exists. It's not a plastic problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Max111

Max111 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 15, 2013

Here's a video (around 3:00) showing a metal mount. Perhaps the plastic mount is pre-production sample meant for review?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  19. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I can attest to this, my 16-50mm broke when I had slipped and felled backwards. The camera landed on me and the 16-50 just partially snapped. It would have cost about the same I paid for the lens. Such, a shame as it's a nice lens too.

20. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Didn't realize the original was metal mount. But honestly was surprised they were including this lens with the GX85 as such a good kit price. If this is what it takes to make the 12-32 the new $100 kit lens and it replaces the 14-42 in the price range I'm fine with it. I was never happy with Pana and oly pairing these relatively long bodied lenses with their smaller rangefinders. Pancakes are much better IMO.

I add that I mounted the 14-42ii to my GX7 about 100x and there was no issues whatsoever.