gx80/85 vs e-m5 MKII

alessiog94

New to Mu-43
Hi to everyone, I've found some very tempting second hand e-m5 mk2 (sub 300€) where I live. Now I have a panny gx80 and using it with the panny 14-45, oly 17mm f1.8, oly 40-150 "plastic fantastic" and the YI 42.5 f1.8 and a godox tt350o speedlight.

I know that the IQ from the 16mpx sensor is similar, but the hot pixels during exposures longer than 5 sec are very noticeable. Also the fact that I can't use the dual IS on my 14-45, but only the "mega ois" stabilaztion on the lens. With the em5 mk2 I could use the live composite mode and also have a fully functional 5 stops ibis with all my lenses (my hands are really shaky).

But there are things that i really LOVE about the gx80! like the wifi transfer to PC (raws and jpgs togheter), the time lapse function that saves all the single pics, the possibility of select af area using the touch screen. Could the em5 mk2 do this two things?

What do you suggest? Honestly I don't care about 4k video, so the "video" aspect of the two cameras is totally ininfluent to me. What make me think about doing the switch is the loss of all the features that i can find on my gx80.

Hi Alessio,
I think the E-M5 ii can select AF using the touchscreen just fine, in fact almost all Olympus models should be able to do this, and I've used many.
As for Wifi to PC, it works with Olympus too either through the browser or their own Workspace application. See: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympus-workspace-does-wifi-download-jpeg-raw.103257/
(using the browser, you have to connect to the Camera via Wi-Fi, then go to 192.168.0.10 in your browser. Slow, but it works when nothing else is available.
Alternatively, I found this free program that works, only for Windows, tested with E-M5 ii as well: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wifi-downloader-for-oly-e-m1/ )

About the time lapse pictures, not sure about that, maybe someone else can chime in?

Any other features you would be missing from the GX80?

If not there is something I can think of that Olympus cameras can do, which Lumix cannot:
Full write access to the SD card when the camera is connected to a computer using the cable.
When you connect a Lumix camera to a PC, you can read but not write to the card. That is annoying when you want to delete a few files from the card.
When you connect an Olympus camera, you can delete, add or change pictures already on the card. Helpful to delete a few pictures after reviewing, when you want to take the card to another PC later for post-processing.

Last edited:

alessiog94

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Alessio,
I think the E-M5 ii can select AF using the touchscreen just fine, in fact almost all Olympus models should be able to do this, and I've used many.
As for Wifi to PC, it works with Olympus too either through the browser or their own Workspace application. See: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympus-workspace-does-wifi-download-jpeg-raw.103257/
(using the browser, you have to connect to the Camera via Wi-Fi, then go to 192.168.0.10 in your browser. Slow, but it works when nothing else is available.
Alternatively, I found this free program that works, only for Windows, tested with E-M5 ii as well: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wifi-downloader-for-oly-e-m1/ )

About the time lapse pictures, not sure about that, maybe someone else can chime in?

Any other features you would be missing from the GX80?

If not there is something I can think of that Olympus cameras can do, which Lumix cannot:
Full write access to the SD card when the camera is connected to a computer using the cable.
When you connect a Lumix camera to a PC, you can read but not write to the card. That is annoying when you want to delete a few files from the card.
When you connect an Olympus camera, you can delete, add or change pictures already on the card. Helpful to delete a few pictures after reviewing, when you want to take the card to another PC later for post-processing.
thank you very much!
Did you make sure the long exposure noise reduction is turned on? The dark frame subtraction ought to get rid of all of those hot pixels.
yes, long exp NR is always turned on

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
E-M5.2 can do touch screen focus, BUT, not with your eye to the EVF.
Don't know about saving all the individual shot of a time lapse, but I would expect it would.
I find the wifi transfer just not as nice as the GX80, but it can be made to work.
The Olympus does the Composite mode and High Resolution mode that the GX80 lacks.
Olympus also allows flash at slow shutter speeds in Silent Mode. Mine goes to 1/25 sec.

Both wonderful cameras.

alessiog94

New to Mu-43
E-M5.2 can do touch screen focus, BUT, not with your eye to the EVF.
Don't know about saving all the individual shot of a time lapse, but I would expect it would.
I find the wifi transfer just not as nice as the GX80, but it can be made to work.
The Olympus does the Composite mode and High Resolution mode that the GX80 lacks.
Olympus also allows flash at slow shutter speeds in Silent Mode. Mine goes to 1/25 sec.

Both wonderful cameras.
mine gx80 doesn't allow the use of the flash in silent mode using the e shutter

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
I was sold on the e-m5 until I used one. As a stills shooter, the flippy rear screen was more cumbursome than useful. Took a pass, went for a GX85, now GX9.

You suggest you are mostly a stills shooter. If you use the tilt screen, can you adjust to a flippy?

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
I was sold on the e-m5 until I used one. As a stills shooter, the flippy rear screen was more cumbursome than useful. Took a pass, went for a GX85, now GX9.

You suggest you are mostly a stills shooter. If you use the tilt screen, can you adjust to a flippy?
Agree that this is among the biggest issues.i have adjusted (pretty much) to the dual-axis flippy fully-articulated LCD - but it's taken about a year of heavy use.

Another thing I find is the GX80 is just SO QUICK to use. Walking down the street and see a shot unfolding, and you almost never miss the moment with the GX80. The E-M5.2 has cost me many a shot waiting for the camera to be ready. Just not nearly as quick to wake up and shoot. The GX80 does the dust shaking when you turn it off, the Oly does it when you turn it on - big difference.

alessiog94

New to Mu-43

in march I've bought a 2nd hand g1 boundled with the mighty 14-45mm lens. the g1 has a fully flippable screen, I've found it more functional. the tiltable-flippable screen rivality doesn't bother me a lot (I've shot for 6 years a sony a3000 with a fixed screen), but personally I prefer the flippy screen. in a year I've tilted the screen on my gx80 maybe 5 times

Real Name
Deryck
Had both, and gave the GX80 away to my son-in-law. Both are great to use and take great pictures. Neither one is better than the other and they both have things I prefer and dislike. I bought the em-5ii under £400 new when the Mk3 was released. My daughter was expecting her first child, and they needed a camera :) so I had to choose which one I was going to keep.

I am ambivalent about the screen tilt/flip and don't do video

My main reasons for keeping the Olympus:
  • similarity of operation with my em1ii
  • Panasonic menu system I can never find anything I want and I dislike it that everything gets greyed out, and you don't know why.
  • No display of the zoom focal length on the Panasonic when shooting- really bugged me
  • I'm left eyed and had to turn off the GX80 screen focus to stop my nose moving focus point
The Panasonic felt much more comfortable in my hands with larger lenses (P- Leica 12-60, O75-300)
If I didn't have the em1, I would have kept the GX80, but the larger lenses rarely go on the em5 only small primes.

@alessiog9 buy it, try it and sell the one you like the least, you aren't going to lose a lot.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Regular
If you have extra funds that you need to burn I'd suggest upgrading your lenses.
Getting a second body won't accomplish much.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Panasonic menu system I can never find anything I want

I'm left eyed and had to turn off the GX80 screen focus to stop my nose moving focus point
Main reasons why I sold the GX80. Wanted to love it, and I did for a while. But came back to E-M5.

Next generations are different though. GX90 tilt EVF works better for left eyers. E-M5.3 has better grip.

alessiog94

New to Mu-43
bought em5 mk2 and sold the gx80. the oly has cost me only 50€. the ibis has shocked me, can't believe how works well compared to the previus gx80

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom