GX80 (85) setup

Dch

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,
i have been playing with my wife's GX80 for a while and like it quite a bit. I had it dismissed as more of a digicam than my E-M5, yet it has been actually more fun...
I have been reading and searching, but i can't find the specific info, so i'll ask here:
I have it setup so i can lock focus with AF/AE Lock on the back and the shutter focus still active; quite nice, so i can either back button focus and lock it, or have AF on the shutter.
The biggest problem i found relates to the touch LCD: i like to be able to move the focus point with it and even better to use as an AF pad using the (sadly a bit crappy) VF.
BUT: if i walk around with the camera hanging on my chest or side, the touch screen gets activated and i find the focus point moved around, often on a far corner. I supposed it can even trigger some of the touch menus...
How do you deal with it? So far, in order to not miss the touch capability, i'm shutting it off before hanging it - but it's a pain and obviously not ideal by any means...
Thanks for the help, best,
D.

Dch

Mu-43 Regular
:hmmm: I have been looking for it but nothing there, even cycling through the display options.
What i have been doing today is to playback a picture and leave it there when hanging; yet again much less than ideal...
I'll keep trying and looking for what you suggested, although it seems it's not there.

Dch

Mu-43 Regular
I don't know if this helps but if you manually toggle the EVF / LCD view using the LVF button next to the viewfinder, then the touch screen is automatically off
It does help a bit, but i'd also like to use the screen as a focus pad while using the EVF. If i set it that way, even if i cycle to EVF only then it moves the focus point while hanging.
BTW i might be asking too much of a relatively simple camera; but it is nice and fun, with enough controls for me so i'd like to get as much enjoyment as possible out of it.

Variable

Mu-43 Regular
My solution for accidental touchscreen inputs is not elegant:

1. I turn off the camera between shots when using a neckstrap.
2. I take a deep breath to remain patient when using the EVF, for the inevitable accidental inputs.
3. For very low or high shots, I clamp the camera left handed by the top and bottom.

None of this is perfect. The fact remains it’s a small body, and touchscreen/button fumbles are likely.

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
I simply don't use camera touch screens and turn then off immediately and permanently.
I can, though, offer my own, slightly idiosyncratic solution to moving focus points around.
I've found that using the 'tracking' auto focus mode is quite useful for changing focus points even for non moving subjects.
Basically, focus on something in the centre of the screen and then move the screen around until the subject is in the desired position.

Real Name
Troy
I always lock focus (either back button or half shutter press) and recompose with all my pictures... Touch screens suck hairy dangly bits...

[as an aside, I'm sick of wiping my kids fingerprints off every screen in the house because they assume everything is a touch screen these days...]

Real Name
Karen
I set TouchSettings/Touch Pad AF to OFFSET. It stopped me from moving the focus point around with my nose. Not sure if it would help with your problem but try and see if it makes a difference. The setting allows you to move the AF Area using touch on the monitor, while looking through the EVF. Using OFFSET you can move the AF area over the whole picture area while using only the right half of the screen. With this setting you are nudging the box around rather than dragging and dropping it in the exact spot where your finger is.
Maybe you will be less likely to nudge it around :)

I wish there was a sleep button rather than having to turn the camera off. I find that I sometimes touch other buttons while I am taking my GX85 out of the capture clip on my hip and that is annoying.
Karen

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
So here is one workaround that I use.
Store your most used "walk around" shooting parameters in Custom 1
Store the same settings in Custom 2 only with the touch pad turned off.
It's a bit clunky but it works.
Even if you didn't want to use Custom 2 because you use it for something else, if you store your walk around settings in Custom 1 (with the focus point where you want it) a quick flip away from C1 and back will restore everything including the focus point.

One other work around is to dedicate your arrow buttons to "direct focus area" (custom setting page 3) instead of iso, wb, etc. When direct focus area is enabled you can touch any arrow, then Disp. and the focus point re-centers.

I thought that there was a way to make the center menu button re-center the focus point. My camera is not set up that way right now and brief investigation did not remind me how it is done. Maybe someone else here knows.

Last resort, flip the screen.:D

Dch

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for the replies, many helpful ideas.
The last couple of days i had just turned the touch function off leaving the focus point in the centre; with the back focus hold it's not such a pain to focus and recompose as it is on my E-M5 (I).
Also it was easy to memorize LEFT-DOWN arrows to access focus point location and size without touch enabled.
I will also probably setup a C mode for others scenarios where i want to quickly change the focus point.
All in all i'm really enjoying this nice little camera!

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a G85 and because it is so light i just use a Peak Design wrist strap and let the camera dangle from my right hand
If i need the camera around my neck to protect it i use a think tank holster to put it in and use the wrist strap when i take it out. Mine lives with the 14-140 on it by default

Little Fish

Mu-43 Regular
Another option is use the only custom exposure mode on the dial, and set it up with the AF area box larger than default for 1 area AF, and switch to custom when you need the larger AF area.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom