GX8 weird EVF problem with Olympus 40-150 4-5.6 II

jrg

New to Mu-43
OK, weird stuff. After a few days using my 100-300 Vario I gave my Oly 40-150 4-5.6 a go. It was my GX8's first date with an Olympus lens. Shot it all afternoon and had lots of fun and got lots of shots. Came in and after getting a coffee turned the camera back on to review what I had shot. Suddenly I got this real nasty sounding ratchety noise, like gears grinding. Panicking, I shut the camera off and even then the ratchety sound continued a short while before going off.

I waited, I opened out the rear screen, then turned the camera on. Same bad deal, plus I watched as the screen went down a few EV levels as the LVF/MON AUTO appeared, then faded. I turned the camera off, same delay in the noise dying as before.

Freaked, I slapped the 40-150 on my G3. No problem. And I intro'd my GX8 to the rest of my Zuiko family, 9-18 and 12-40 and there was no issue. Even my 17 pancake was well greeted.

I waited a while, put the 40-150 back on and for a moment it was all quiet on the western front but then the screen went down an EV and the nasty grinding sound returned and the LVF/MON AUTO appeared again.

Any ideas? Cleaning contacts isn’t an issue, the lens and camera work fine with other partners. And every time this happens the image seems to be zooming in slightly despite the fact that I'm not doing anything with the zoom.

jrg

New to Mu-43
I considered this. Doesn’t explain why then the lens worked without a hitch for an initial round of shooting. Or why, possibly it has no issue with the G3 because the G3 has no IS. And again, my off brand Rokinon fisheye and all my old 43 lenses work without issue.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
The firmware of the lens is what I was talking about, not the camera firmware.
There have been a couple of firmware fixes that are aimed at a specific lens on a specific body. I can't think of any for the Olympus 40-150, but it's worth a look.

It could also be the lens is just starting to fail. That is the most likely scenario.

jrg

New to Mu-43
The firmware of the lens is what I was talking about, not the camera firmware.
There have been a couple of firmware fixes that are aimed at a specific lens on a specific body. I can't think of any for the Olympus 40-150, but it's worth a look.

It could also be the lens is just starting to fail. That is the most likely scenario.
I knew you meant the lens. Someone at DP Review checked the 40-150 out in this respect when I posted my same OP there. There was nothing to show any problems. The lens has a plastic mount, the only one I have save from a Panasonic kit lens.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
The Oly 40-150 was a nice lens for it's low cost (got mine for $99 on sale), but I replaced mine with a used Lumix 45-150 that has OIS and seems a bit more solid built to me. All of my bodies are Lumix and I've been real happy with it, right now B&H has it for $147.99.

That's the way I'd look at solving your problem.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom