1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Gx8 weather proof and dust proof

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rklepper, Feb 29, 2016.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    i really was not going to upgrade my gx7, but it this is true I probably will. Not that I shoot underwater or anything. I do shoot in kess than perfect conditions

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    It's maybe semantics, but I don't think Panasonic claim the GX8 is 'weather proof'. I think they say 'splash proof' and then only if fitted with a similarly specced lens. I wouldn't use my GX8 in heavy or prolonged rain without additional protection. I've seen too many supposedly 'weather proof' cameras from other manufacturers fail in my time under fairly benign conditions to really rely on it. Pentax is the only brand I've used that I felt more relaxed with using in the rain.

3. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Perhaps I misspoke using the word proof. But I have read reviews and they do refer to weather and dust proof. Others use the terms weather and dust resistant. When I go to the Panasonic site or B&H there is no mention of either. So it is splash resistant? I have the weather sealed lenses, but am just confused about the GX8 and whether it is weather sealed or not.

So if I use it, for instance, with my 12-35 it would be splash proof? I would never use one without my storm cover anyway in the rain, but appreciate the added benfit of the weather sealing.

Thanks

4. JonVdG

JonVdG Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2016
    Colorado, USA
    Jon
    Splash proof means it can handle more than light rain. You definitely can't submerge it, but it's the next best thing. I use one for my severe weather work and so far, nothing has affected it. Even heavy wet snow (which is worse than rain) hasn't caused a problem. But truth be told, most higher end cameras aren't affected by light to moderate rain. My Sony A350 (entry level DSLR) had no sealing whatsoever and it took years of heavy abuse in every type of bad weather you can imagine. Same with my Nikon FM3a film camera, Leica M4, etc., etc. Cheap point-and-shoot cameras are more likely to fail in just about any type of weather, but this is mostly because their tolerances aren't tight to begin with. I still use a FotoSharp cover on the GX8 when I'm set up on a pod in a storm, but most of the time the camera just has to take whatever mother nature is dishing out. Although the Panasonic 30mm f/2.8 ASPH isn't sealed, it is no worse for the weather either.

5. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Thanks that is really what I wanted to know. Wish it was clearer on the features tab.

6. JonVdG

JonVdG Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2016
    Colorado, USA
    Jon
    You're welcome. From a more technical standpoint, "splash proof" is often just a generic reference to the IPX4 standard, but I'm not sure if the GX8 conforms to (or has been tested to) this standard. From the Panasonic GX8 manual:

"Splash Proof is a term used to describe an extra level of protection this camera offers against exposure to a minimal amount of moisture, water or dust. Splash Proof does not guarantee that damage will not occur if this camera is subjected to direct contact with water.

In order to minimize the possibility of damage please be sure the following precautions are taken:

• – The Splash Proof feature works in conjunction with the H-HS12035 and H-HS35100 lenses that were specifically designed to support this feature.

• – Make sure that all doors are securely closed.

• – Make sure that you are in a dry and secure place when changing the battery, lens or memory

card. After changing, make sure their protective doors are securely closed.

• – If this camera is exposed to water, sand or any other foreign material clean it as soon as

possible, taking the necessary precautions that the foreign substance does not get inside the

camera."

7. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    As always 'your mileage will vary' :) Pentax labels its gear weather resistant yet people run them through the shower and under the tap. Nobody shows the videos where their exuberance goes unrewarded..
    :doh:

• Funny Funny x 1