1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX8 stabilization

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by speedy, Aug 19, 2016.

1. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    Quick question, is there any way to turn the in body stabilization off on the GX8, but leave the lens OIS on, if it the lens doesn't have the OIS on/off switch. I've read the manual, searched online, but can't see a way to do it. Am I missing something?

A bit of an explanation, my GX8 mechanical shutter does NOT play well with the in body stabilizer. Cannot get a sharp image out of it at any shutter speed. The vast majority of the time. Like over 95% at a guess. Turn off the stabilizer, instant sharp shots again. Turn stabilizer on, instacrap. E shutter, no issues at all. So it's not the stabilizer.

I've recently purchased the Panasonic 42.5 f/1.7. Lovely little lens. Lovely sharp shots using both mechanical & E shutter, using the OIS. Down to 1/15 hand held. Much better performance than in body & shorter focal lengths. At the moment, only the lens OIS is working, because the lens firmware needs an update to be able to make use of the dual stabilization. But, I'm not going to try it, if this means that I can't turn off in body only, so I can use the mechanical shutter & only lens OIS. Hence the question. Any help appreciated

2. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    I updated my firmware then yesterday i wanted to turn Body IS off to work on a tripod with my 105 sigma and couldn't see how,mind you ime the wrong age for these menus so will watch with interest.

3. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    That's easy enough to do. Just go into the rec menu, go to page 8 of 8, & it's the top item. It only gives you the option of on, panning mode, or off. No options for combos of body, or lens. Only both as far as I can tell.

I've added it to the quick menu. Much quicker & easier to get to it there.
    I've also mapped the e shutter to a function button, to make it a simple 1 button press to get to. big fan of e shutter, but in flouro light, it's terrible. Banding city :)

4. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Thanks will look later as i have only just got up,its early here.