GX8 Stability Issues

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by AcridSaint, Nov 12, 2015.

1. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I struggled with the wording of my title here, but I wanted to start a thread with some of the issues that I'm running into with the camera, now that I've been able to shoot with it for a while. I want to know if anyone is noticing these things and what you may be doing to solve or get around them. If this is common across GX8 owners, then maybe there are some issues that Panasonic needs to address, if not, maybe I just have a wonky copy.

I've run into 3 different, recurring issues with the camera:

1. Rear LCD gets stuck "off" - This happens the most often. I've had this just about every time I've used the camera, at least once. When I am shooting with a model, I often use the rear LCD to review some photos with them. The EVF will be working fine, but when removing my eye from the EVF, the rear LCD won't come on for review. Pressing buttons does nothing. If you put your eye back to the eye sensor, the EVF will come on and the camera will function normally, but the rear display will not turn on when the camera is moved away from the eye.

The solution so far has been to slightly lift the rear LCD up like I'm about to change the position, and it will suddenly pop on.

2. Camera "hard locks" - this happened twice in a photo shoot last night and has happened on at least one other shoot. The EVF continues to show a live view, but absolutely nothing works, including the off switch. The camera behaves in the same manor as it does when having a long write to an SD card, where it won't switch itself off or let you do other actions, but it does not have the write icon displayed and is not writing image data at the time. The cursor lock function button is remapped on my camera and cursor lock was not engaged. The battery must be removed to resolve this. The last time this happened, the aperture was set to wide-open when the camera powered back on.

3. Half press AF suddenly stops working - I have had this happen twice now. All other camera functions seem to work, but half-press shutter does nothing. This is not a red cursor, unable to achieve focus lock situation, the camera doesn't even try to focus. Switching to manual and back between AFC and AFS/AFF does not get AF working again. So far, only switching the camera off and back on has resolved it.

Please post here if you're seeing any of these issues or have any thoughts.

2. srhphoto

srhphoto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 26, 2012
    I've had my GX8 for several months and thankfully haven't seen any of what you describe. So far the camera has been 100% reliable.

Simon.

3. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I'd send it in.....nothing like that on mine.

4. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I probably will send it in, but I do want to see if other folks are having any issues like this. I was thinking it may be an early firmware issue, but obviously not if no one else experiences these issues.

5. NigelD

NigelD Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2015
    I had an issue similar to the LCD one you describe but as the camera was straight out the box - it was exchanged for another one.

6. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    No problems here, send it in.

7. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    It's been a few months without any major issues (and also not that much shooting).

Last night I shot a concert and my LCD completely failed when completely "open", as in, flat on the camera back and trying to review on the screen. Lifting and dropping it back down did not work. The only way to review images was to flip it out. It will be going back to Panasonic, but I have a trip to Japan in a week, so I'll have to run it without the LCD until I get back. Most of the time I have the LCD in the closed position to save battery because I compose 99% of the time in the viewfinder anyways, so it won't be the end of the world for me. Just thought I would update for any folks that run into these issues later.