GX8 record/playback question - perhaps any Lumix camera?

Real Name
Roddy
Afternoon all,

My GX8, after some 6 months of ownership, has suddenly decided to frame 16:9 photographs (both in record and playback) with a grey band at top and bottom instead of the traditional black. The grey framing fades away after several seconds to reveal the real 4:3 aspect, too. While this may be a benefit to some it has slightly baffled me.

I have not re-formatted, re-set or otherwise knowingly fiddled with settings, and I have not been near a firmware update or anything else, so does anyone have any idea why this might be happening, and is it normal? I do not have a manual as I picked the camera up on Fleabay and it arrived without. I thought I may receive an answer here quicker than I might be trawling the internet, too, so apologies in advance if this is a simple issue, and for being lazy.

Last edited:
Real Name
Roddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, I'm assuming this is something no one else has ever come across, or it's on page two of the manual and people think I'm stupid.

If this is the case, is there an email address at Panasonic I can write to for an answer? I imagine someone might have gone this route with a strange question before..... :)

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I do not have a manual as I picked the camera up on Fleabay and it arrived without. I thought I may receive an answer here quicker than I might be trawling the internet, too, so apologies in advance if this is a simple issue, and for being lazy.
You could change your mind and trawl the internet for the manual. With so much spare time on your hand suddenly due to COVID-19 it is yet one more way to fill the void :).

Real Name
Butch Oakey
Afternoon all,

My GX8, after some 6 months of ownership, has suddenly decided to frame 16:9 photographs (both in record and playback) with a grey band at top and bottom instead of the traditional black. The grey framing fades away after several seconds to reveal the real 4:3 aspect, too. While this may be a benefit to some it has slightly baffled me.

I have not re-formatted, re-set or otherwise knowingly fiddled with settings, and I have not been near a firmware update or anything else, so does anyone have any idea why this might be happening, and is it normal? I do not have a manual as I picked the camera up on Fleabay and it arrived without. I thought I may receive an answer here quicker than I might be trawling the internet, too, so apologies in advance if this is a simple issue, and for being lazy.
A manual should be available online and can be downloaded for future reference...

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Does this happen in the EVF as well (during playback?) . Or is it just the LCD.

And are you shooting in Raw+jpeg, or Raw only?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom