1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX8 Raw Preview

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DaveEP, Jan 10, 2016.

1. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I'm a raw shooter for stills. I never shoot JPEG. Ever.

One of the frustrations of the GH4 is that the previews are extremely soft when shooting in raw, to the point that sometimes I question if the shot actually has critical focus. The solution? Shoot raw + jpeg. But I don't want to shoot jpeg, it takes more time to save, takes more space on the card and is used for nothing but previews.

I currently find myself in need of another M43 body, partially as a backup for some video work (to run along side the GH4). With this in mind i was looking at the GX8 and wondered if it suffers from the same soft raw (only) preview problems or if Panasonic fixed it?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think they're all like this... Olympus do the same. Problem is that full size JPEG previews take significant space in the RAW file (the preview you see IS a JPEG), so at that point you're left writing almost the same amount to the buffer/card as shooting JPEG full + RAW anyway.

3. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    The EM1 preview seems perfectly fine, it's only the Panasonic that's soft. The Oly raw files seem to be in the 14-16MB, the Panasonic raws in the 19.5MB, so I'm not seeing any overhead for better Oly previews. :(