GX8 Raw Preview

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DaveEP, Jan 10, 2016.

1. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    I'm a raw shooter for stills. I never shoot JPEG. Ever.

One of the frustrations of the GH4 is that the previews are extremely soft when shooting in raw, to the point that sometimes I question if the shot actually has critical focus. The solution? Shoot raw + jpeg. But I don't want to shoot jpeg, it takes more time to save, takes more space on the card and is used for nothing but previews.

I currently find myself in need of another M43 body, partially as a backup for some video work (to run along side the GH4). With this in mind i was looking at the GX8 and wondered if it suffers from the same soft raw (only) preview problems or if Panasonic fixed it?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

I think they're all like this... Olympus do the same. Problem is that full size JPEG previews take significant space in the RAW file (the preview you see IS a JPEG), so at that point you're left writing almost the same amount to the buffer/card as shooting JPEG full + RAW anyway.

3. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    The EM1 preview seems perfectly fine, it's only the Panasonic that's soft. The Oly raw files seem to be in the 14-16MB, the Panasonic raws in the 19.5MB, so I'm not seeing any overhead for better Oly previews. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.