1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX8 questions from long time m4/3 enthusiast?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SteveNunez, Mar 7, 2016.

1. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Hey guys, being a long-time m4/3 shooter, I find myself now intrigued by the GX8 and want to make sure I understand it and it's limitations. I have a few questions perhaps some here can answer;

1. It features IBIS, I'd like to use this with adapted lenses as I do with my Oly cams, can the focal length be input to allow it to optimize the IS for that focal length?

2. It uses a 2.5 mic input and I'd like to use my Pan MS2 mic that uses a 3.5 mic- can I use that MS2 with it's features such as zoom capability using a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter? Will it self-power as it does with Pan cams? Is there a preferred adapter?

3. I'm used to the IBIS of the Sony A7II and Oly EM10 both of which work exceptionally great- is the Pan system as good as the Oly? Does the IBIS work with video with adapted lenses? Does the IBIS work during 4K photo modes?

4. Does it have the same exact 4K Photo modes of the G7?

It's price point is a bit high- I understand it has the newer 20MP sensor but it seems the premium is the IBIS- is there something else I'm missing about the GX8 causing it to be priced higher than other m4/3 cameras? I was about to purchase the G7 (love the body style) but the lack of IBIS is making me consider the GX8- anything I should note between the 2?

Thanks so much guys- all replies are greatly appreciated.

Cheers--

Steve Nunez~South Florida Artist
    www.stevenunez.com
    Oly E-M10, Pan GM1, Sony A7II, Lytro Illum & Others~~

2. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    The GX8 is weather sealed. It also has the best viewfinder I've ever had the pleasure of looking through. And that includes ff DSLR's. It also has DFD focus technology, and as you have mentioned already, the new 20mp sensor. At the moment, as far as I know, it's the only m4/3 camera to contain all these features in one body. That makes it a premium product in my view. Whether that's worth paying a little extra for is entirely up to you. I personally was quite happy to jump on one when it was on sale. Exceptionally happy that I did.

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/camera/om/dmc-gx8_adv_en_om.pdf

4. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    1. Yes, focal length can be programed for IBIS.
    2. I don't have this mic, so can't really answer... but I would assume that the contact points would allow for the same functions?
    3. I would say it's not on par yet with Oly's 5 axis tech, but probably on par with their older 3 axis ibis systems in the older models. If you add a lens that is compatible with DualIS (ois + ibis) it's only a hair behind the oly tech in most cases. No sure about ibis + video, but I don't believe so, I'd suggest confirming with the manual linked above.
    4. I believe it has the same video/4k modes as the G7 and maybe a trick or two more, but less than the GH4.
    5. It's weather sealed, has a better focus system, a fantastic evf, and the 20mp sensor... If you don't need those features, I'd say the g7 is a better buy.

5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I would bet the mic won't self power.

6. Brent

Brent New to Mu-43

Feb 26, 2016
    GX8 has 1/8000 mechanical shutter compared to 1/4000 on the G7, and flash sync of 1/250 (I think faster than G7). I had the G7 for a short while before being unable to resist a sale price on the GX8. The G7 is a very good camera and definitely a better "value" than the GX8. G7 EVF is very good, but the GX8's is a bit better. I think the 4K photos modes are the same. I don't know about video differences, if any. GX8 has a magnesium body, G7 is plastic (if that bothers you). G7 has a built-in flash, GX8 does not. E-shutter on GX8 is 12-bit with slower readout, while G7 is 10-bit with faster readout (12-bit gives better DR, but slower readout will give more distortion in moving subjects). I can't recall what mic input the G7 has.

7. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Thank you guys- much appreciated.

8. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I know it's listed as 1/250, but I can get 1/320 fairly regularly

9. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    That's all dependent on your particular mechanical shutter. Someone with your same exact camera model can have banding even at 1/200 "if" there is an issue with the mechanics of the physical shutter.

Also in many cases outdoors in the night often a photog may not even notice banding using manual flash.

10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    From what I've read, the IBIS in the GX8 is better than what is in the GX7, however, the two things that bothered me about that IBIS system were 1. IBIS didn't work in video and 2. the IBIS only operated when the photo was taken, therefore the view through the EVF or LCD wasn't stabilized like it is with the OM-D cameras. I don't believe either of these shortcomings have been addressed with the GX8.

11. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Decided to go with G7, but these replies are excellent- thank you guys!

12. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    nice choice.

Just to let you know that it has 1/4000 max shutter speed. This may pose an issue if your shooting wide open in bright light. Using a polarizer may help you 2 stops or ND filters. The GX8 is 1/8000 like most mid to high end DSLR's.

13. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    I thought I saw a max SS of 1/16,000th ?

14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    1/16000th is with the electronic shutter. Fine for portraits and other still subjects, but you'll get the rolling shutter effect with scenes that have too much movement.