GX8 painful button placing

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by huepic, Oct 2, 2015.

1. huepic

huepic Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2015
    Hi,
    Used the new GX8 a few times now & although great image quality I find the right side rear buttons a real pain. Is there any way I can disable the keys/buttons so they can't be accidentally activated everytime I pick up the camera ?
    I recall reading somewhere that one of the Fn buttons can possibly be configurated to that effect.
    I found it particularly bad when the neck strap falls between the palm of the right hand & the camera & sends all settings into a wild spin. Also, to access the menu I have to press play first.
    How do I reset that annoying thing ?
    Thanks for any advise.

2. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    By default, one of the function buttons disables the cursor buttons. You can add that feature to any function button.
    I have no idea what you're talking about with pressing play before being able to access the menu.

3. huepic

huepic Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2015
    hi poopstick
    thanks for the reply,
    When I press menu absolutely nothing happens. When I press playback & then menu , the menu comes up. I assume the settings/functions somehow reconfigured when the neckstrap pressed against the buttons.
    regards

4. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    Well, ironically, turning the cursor lock on will have that affect. I can't think of anything else.

5. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Sounds like the first thing you need to do is to look up in the manual how to do a factory reset of all customizations. Start from ground zero. Who know what all has been unintentionally changed already.

6. huepic

huepic Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2015
    Thanks to all your input on this I managed to change the how the show works. I assigned the cursor lock to the Fn 13 button.
    cheers all for saving me days of reading the manual.

7. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    I would still recommend reading the entire manual, and taking the time to understand every single feature. It's worth it in the long run.