GX8 owners who added a GX9 ~ how have you gotten on with the GX9?

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Long-term GX7 fan here. I upgraded to a GX9 to take with GX7 on holiday to Tasmania: it didn't handle as well, but I was BLOWN AWAY by the difference the extra MP and lack of AA filter made to my photos. I also found the EVF harder to work with (I am a shortsighted glasses wearer), and the EV dial is harder to turn, but you can reassign that. Despite these issues, I came to like it a lot during my trip.

Out of curiosity, I then bought a used GX8 to compare, and was beguiled by the better EVF, nicer grip and level of customisation. However, I really dislike the fully articulated screen, and I think the IBIS isn't as good with adapted as Olympus.

I have actually listed my GX9 (with grip and eyecup) in the forum sale section, as the GX8 best fills my need for a more rugged body.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I have a GX7, G85, G9 and GX9. The GX7 and GX9 EVFs are roughly the same although it's possible that the GX9's corners are a bit distorted. I've never done a side-by-side comparison. I'm ok switching between all four cameras' EVFs despite the G85 and G9 finders being clearly better.
I love the compact size of the GX9 although I find that the optional large eye cup is a necessity (I have one on both of my GXn cameras) which makes them a bit less compact.
I love the min. shutter speed setting on the GX9; it makes it a much better street photography camera. The MyMenu is also handy for those items that you can't put into the QuickMenu (eg: Constant Focus for video recording). IS-Lock is also a nice feature if you shoot video.

No doubt the GX9 brings some nice features to the table! All I would hope for in addition would be better EVF and at least somewhat larger grip area - make the grip like the GX7 grip and I’d like it!

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Long-term GX7 fan here. I upgraded to a GX9 to take with GX7 on holiday to Tasmania: it didn't handle as well, but I was BLOWN AWAY by the difference the extra MP and lack of AA filter made to my photos. I also found the EVF harder to work with (I am a shortsighted glasses wearer), and the EV dial is harder to turn, but you can reassign that. Despite these issues, I came to like it a lot during my trip.

Out of curiosity, I then bought a used GX8 to compare, and was beguiled by the better EVF, nicer grip and level of customisation. However, I really dislike the fully articulated screen, and I think the IBIS isn't as good with adapted as Olympus.

I have actually listed my GX9 (with grip and eyecup) in the forum sale section, as the GX8 best fills my need for a more rugged body.

Yes, the GX8 form factor, feel in the hand, handling, and EVF are absolutely MARVELOUS! Panasonic created a special body with the GX8.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes, the GX8 form factor, feel in the hand, handling, and EVF are absolutely MARVELOUS! Panasonic created a special body with the GX8.
Absolutely, although I consider it pretty ugly compared with GX7, especially with small lenses - such as O45/1.8 - attached.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Absolutely, although I consider it pretty ugly compared with GX7, especially with small lenses - such as O45/1.8 - attached.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder! I think the GX8 is gorgeous, though it does look better with larger lenses. I think the GX7 looks awesome too. And agree, the 45/1.8 seems more "fitting" on the GX7. Nice to have both! :biggrin:

Mike Peters

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Peters
Which camera are you referring to? And what causes the camera to automatically switch to first curtain electronic? It senses potential shutter shock, I presume.

With the GX8, I would just use whatever type of shutter would be most appropriate for the situation at hand. For me, that’s electronic most of the time. If I’m shooting motion, switch to mechanical. No big deal for me.

I'm referring to the GX8.

Driehoek

New to Mu-43
Well I am new on this forum....my GX8 combined with Leica 100-400...using for MACRO! I have Oly EM1 and Sony RX1r.....but my 'lumixcombi' beats them .....in handling and photographic pleasure.
Some results....oh, the GX7 was too small and not waterresist....I do have him with the 20 1.7....

P1090811.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P1090033.JPG
P1100237.JPG

emudojo

Mu-43 Regular
Things like this introduces doubt in my heart I like my gx7 but it's evf is really hurting my eyes and as someone that just got into macro not knowing what's in focus is a problem, was thinking on getting a g9.... But been always drawn to the gx8...

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Things like this introduces doubt in my heart I like my gx7 but it's evf is really hurting my eyes and as someone that just got into macro not knowing what's in focus is a problem, was thinking on getting a g9.... But been always drawn to the gx8...
The G9 is a fantastic camera but it might be a little big for you coming from a GX7. Take a look at the G85. You'll get most of the features of the GX9 except the20MP sensor and the software/menu improvements but a MUCH better EVF. Not as brilliant as the GX8 but The G85's IBIS alone is worth it to me. I have or have had all 4 cameras in question, GX8, G85, GX9 and G9. Sold the GX9 because of the EVF. If you want the 9-series upgrades in a similar body there's the G95 as well.

emudojo

Mu-43 Regular
The G9 is a fantastic camera but it might be a little big for you coming from a GX7. Take a look at the G85. You'll get most of the features of the GX9 except the20MP sensor and the software/menu improvements but a MUCH better EVF. Not as brilliant as the GX8 but The G85's IBIS alone is worth it to me. I have or have had all 4 cameras in question, GX8, G85, GX9 and G9. Sold the GX9 because of the EVF. If you want the 9-series upgrades in a similar body there's the G95 as well.
I want the new sensor without aa, specially since I tend to crop a lot when doing macro, I don't mind the size, weight is the thing as I often put my camera in my wife's purse when were out and I happen to bring the camera with me he he

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I want the new sensor without aa, specially since I tend to crop a lot when doing macro, I don't mind the size, weight is the thing as I often put my camera in my wife's purse when were out and I happen to bring the camera with me he he
G95 then. GX8 sensor has AA. OR if you have the budget, check out a 2nd hand EM-1 II or new EM5-III

emudojo

Mu-43 Regular
G95 then. GX8 sensor has AA. OR if you have the budget, check out a 2nd hand EM-1 II or new EM5-III
5.3 seems tempting tbh, just wondering if the evf is any good as I know for a fact that the g9 is top notch

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
5.3 seems tempting tbh, just wondering if the evf is any good as I know for a fact that the g9 is top notch
Its at least as good as the E-M1 II which was a little behind the G9 but certainly more than good enough.

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
GX9 viewfinder seemed a bit better , though it’s been a while since I ve used GX7. Even if it’s the same LCD panel, it’s the optics in front of it that determine how big and clear it looks, so maybe they were Improved a bit. Still not as good as GX8 of course.

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's a good woman you have there! Mine is already full with my camera. I like the files from the GX9 much better than GX8 or GX7, and I'm learning to live with the EVF.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
I don’t like the standard grip on the GX9 it is lacking depth and is uncomfortable to hold because you have to grip it so tight with your fingers to get a good hold
However with the optional HGR2 grip the feel of the camera is transformed especially with larger lenses but also just with small lenses
I have just ordered a GX9 having had one briefly before and I’ve already bought an HGR2 cheaply from eBay recently in anticipation
I’m waiting for the GX9 to arrive as they sold out due to Panasonic offers over the Bank Holiday period here in the U.K. (due in stock on 26/06/20)
Im not a fan of the EVF either having also had GX8s, G9 and others but for the occasional use I’ll be putting the camera to it should be OK
I’ve currently sold all my bodies due to having no opportunities for Motorsports possibly all year so the GX9 is an inexpensive option to keep me going until everything becomes accessible again as a spectator / photographer - all upcoming Motorsport events are planned as behind closed doors for the foreseeable future
The GX9 was a bit of a bargain at £429.00 with a a Free Panasonic 25mm F1.7 and a free extra BLG10E battery so I don’t intend to quibble too much about it’s shortcomings
I would definitely consider the Grip if you do get one @DHart

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Having had my GX9 for a few months now I am very satisfied with everything, with one exception. The viewfinder. No...not that, I don't have a problem with the brightness or size. It's the fact that it takes only the slightest pressure to start it flipping to the vertical position. I've even had it creep when holding it for a shot. It needs a much stronger detent. I am thinking about modifying a hot shoe cover with a little arm to hold it down, something I can spin out of the way. Other than that, I am very satisfied. It is a worthy second to my G9. Thursday last I went to the local car show and shot everything with the GX9 and PL15. If i ever get to go back to the dragstrip I plan to keep the 12-60 mounted for closer shots with the G9 and 50-200 handling the heavy lifting.

50000087757_83f98be57f_h.jpg
P1030383 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Driehoek

New to Mu-43
The G9 I am also thinking of has better IS but with my 100-400 panaleica ( macro friendly) and thus both IS coupled gives me good results. I use peaking and maybe focuspeaking together with focustracking and m-bursting...The EVF of the GX8 ( far more better than the G7 that lies unused ) is when you are righteyed superb! Focustracking by the way on GX8 gives me problems by refocussing ( but maybe I am not using it right...); than you must push the ok button in between the shots....that works quite better with my OMD EM5 ( no focuspeaking in that 'oldy' ) and EM1 where you can refocus easily again and again; following the bumblebees......
For me the G9 is not an option anymore....My Olympusses have superior IS! But the GX is far better handling and better EVF ; start with a used GX8 and keep the fine menu as well! My search is not more for macro because crop of full frame gives me enough.....now looking for micro, but that's another league...
P6152320~01.jpg

emudojo

Mu-43 Regular
The G9 I am also thinking of has better IS but with my 100-400 panaleica ( macro friendly) and thus both IS coupled gives me good results. I use peaking and maybe focuspeaking together with focustracking and m-bursting...The EVF of the GX8 ( far more better than the G7 that lies unused ) is when you are righteyed superb! Focustracking by the way on GX8 gives me problems by refocussing ( but maybe I am not using it right...); than you must push the ok button in between the shots....that works quite better with my OMD EM5 ( no focuspeaking in that 'oldy' ) and EM1 where you can refocus easily again and again; following the bumblebees......
For me the G9 is not an option anymore....My Olympusses have superior IS! But the GX is far better handling and better EVF ; start with a used GX8 and keep the fine menu as well! My search is not more for macro because crop of full frame gives me enough.....now looking for micro, but that's another league... View attachment 830112

I'm thinking on the em5.3 as it's the same price as the g9 and way smaller but with a far less impressive build, but has a decent evf, maybe not g9 level but good enough (but done claim the screen to be really dim for outdoor use, and the g9 is really bright)

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Why not buy a used GX8?
My thought exactly. I shoot a pair of GX8s, most recently around the end of February this year in Greater Kruger Park and in Botswana. One had a 100-400 mounted and the other a 12-200. Multiple trips to Africa have taught me that two bodies with mounted zoom lenses are essential. I did take one trip with a relatively new GX8 and one of my trusty GX7s, but decided that having identical bodies with identical Custom-programmed settings was the way to go. I like to go with one black one and one silver one so I can easily identify a body that starts to act up. Fortunately that has never happened, though.

Two different bodies is fun, IMO, when you actually don't need two bodies for the shooting. Then the extra time for swapping is ample and you can play with features. When the elephant herd or the cape buffalo herd surrounds the game drive vehicle or the leopard starts walking towards you, though, there is no time for playing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom