GX8 owners who added a GX9 ~ how have you gotten on with the GX9?

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
A quick update to an old thread.
Like the original poster, I used - and loved - my GX8 for several years. I found it a great upgrade to my previous favorite mu43 camera, my old GX7 - which, honestly, was much closer in size and handling to my ideal version of what a mirrorless camera should be. The GX8's remarkable EVF was better, obviously - and its solidly built and functionally-designed body always felt good in the hand - but during the years I used my GX7, the smaller EVF never truly bothered me. Flash forwards to---

The present. My GX8 is gone, replaced by a GX9.
No question, the 20Mp sensor is a major upgrade over the not-too-shabby 16Mp sensor of the GX7; and, though most of the time it's hard to notice, the lack of an AA-filter does result in added levels of crispness and detail which the GX8 just didn't have. But, curiously, the two biggest potential 'problems' of the GX9 have been stupidly easy to resolve. First, HANDLING - once one adds the standard factory grip, the GX9 handles as well as both the GX7 and the GX9 (admittedly this is a subjective opinion) - which, for me, is saying a lot. (True, you have to take the grip off to change batteries, remove the card, etc, but it's only a minor inconvenience.) Second, the EVF - getting the factory EYECUP has transformed the camera for me. It's that good. (Eyeglass wearers beware: with the eye cup you can't quite see the whole frame.) And third: I vastly prefer (and use more) the GX9's tilting mirror (instead of the GX8's fold-out one). Fortunately, the Lumix engineers kept the tilting eyecup which, also, is one of the features I don't want to live without.

Adding it all up - though it sounds like heresy or sacrilege, YES, as a former user (and true appreciator of) the GX8 - I now find the GX9 a more than worthy successor to what used to be my favorite micro four thirds body ever.

Here is the camera with the factory grip---

GX9_top.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here you can see the eyecup---

X30_Apr15_21_GX9_eyecup.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

melanieylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A quick update to an old thread.
Like the original poster, I used - and loved - my GX8 for several years. I found it a great upgrade to my previous favorite mu43 camera, my old GX7 - which, honestly, was much closer in size and handling to my ideal version of what a mirrorless camera should be. The GX8's remarkable EVF was better, obviously - and its solidly built and functionally-designed body always felt good in the hand - but during the years I used my GX7, the smaller EVF never truly bothered me. Flash forwards to---

The present. My GX8 is gone, replaced by a GX9.
No question, the 20Mp sensor is a major upgrade over the not-too-shabby 16Mp sensor of the GX7; and, though most of the time it's hard to notice, the lack of an AA-filter does result in added levels of crispness and detail which the GX8 just didn't have. But, curiously, the two biggest potential 'problems' of the GX9 have been stupidly easy to resolve. First, HANDLING - once one adds the standard factory grip, the GX9 handles as well as both the GX7 and the GX9 (admittedly this is a subjective opinion) - which, for me, is saying a lot. (True, you have to take the grip off to change batteries, remove the card, etc, but it's only a minor inconvenience.) Second, the EVF - getting the factory EYECUP has transformed the camera for me. It's that good. (Eyeglass wearers beware: with the eye cup you can't quite see the whole frame.) And third: I vastly prefer (and use more) the GX9's tilting mirror (instead of the GX8's fold-out one). Fortunately, the Lumix engineers kept the tilting eyecup which, also, is one of the features I don't want to live without.

Adding it all up - though it sounds like heresy or sacrilege, YES, as a former user (and true appreciator of) the GX8 - I now find the GX9 a more than worthy successor to what used to be my favorite micro four thirds body ever.

Here is the camera with the factory grip---

View attachment 892584

And here you can see the eyecup---

View attachment 892588
I'd agree with all of that, but as a short sighted glasses wearer I struggle with the EVF but the eyecup is actually worse! The files are definitely nicer, but I still miss the ergonomics and package of the GX7. Oh, and the knurled dials, which I find so much better to turn than the ribbed ones.

The GX9 is my choice when I want the best files, but the older G85 has grown on me for ergonomics, which weren't great for me in the GX8.

PS your choice of camera to take those GX9 photos with is still my actual favourite all-round package 😀

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
How long a wait do you expect?
Still waiting. Even with the latest firmware updates, the flagship model G9 still has no Live Composite mode despite the fact that the G90/95 does. There is no perfect camera, although the November 2017 G9 is looking great. With my collection of lenses and strobes, I don't wish to change systems.

Vermont3133

A New Lens Will Fix It!
I didn't quite go GX8 to GX9 but got a GX85.
I had really mixed feelings about the GX8.....Bigger than I really wanted in a M43 body. The one stop IBIS was a bit of a letdown. The placement of the display button just under the thumb grip drove me bonkers as I accidently pressed it and then had to scroll through the options to get back to what I wanted to see on the screen.
For me the obvious big plus with the GX8 was the EVF....pretty much as good as my own particular gold standard...the XT2.
I got a GX85 with some apprehension after all the talk about the EVF problems but found that it was fine for me...not great but plenty good enough.
I too am shortsighted and wear specs all the time and the EVF was still OK but interestingly, I recently tried using the EVF without glasses and found it a better experience! No need, as I had thought, to change the diopter.
I'm actually tempted to get one those granny spectacle lanyards to hang my glasses on while I'm shooting! 👵

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I had two Gx8 and loved them. But for my "serious work" the G9/PL100-400 was a serious upgrade, and then a second G9 to home my 12-35. I needed a small travel body that did 4K. Well the Gx9 was not out so I went with the 4K. I don't find the EVF "that bad", but what I did because I shoot a lot of video was I added the Hoodman mirrorless loop. Expensive but now when I need it the Gx85 is a serious handheld video camera and the bonus is that the hoodman while not a perfect fit (but it works, not flat on the rear screen due to the EVF rubber semi-eyecup) makes using the 75-300II at 200mm and below a handheld video camera as well as having that steadying ability in still shoots. I don't use this all the time but it does travel with me, but for 80% of my shoot the Gx85 without the hoodman is fine. I would have gone for the Gx9 if it had been out as a travel camera but the Gx85 is so darn good I just don't need it. And yes I miss my Gx8 form factor but IBS, highres, lots of video goodies on the G9, and now focusing in stills and video just make it a much better camera that I could not go back. G9 in a Gx8 smaller form, in a heart beat.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
There's a few Gx9's available at good prices atm and I must confess to considering one again, despite some obvious annoyances /lacking features. Its still a small body with excellent sensor.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I gave one a very brief try. I just couldn't get on with the EVF. Not the tilting part, which I think might be a good idea, but the display they used. I think if you don't mind using the rear display for most of your picture-taking, it's a pretty good camera.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom