GX8 owners who added a GX9 ~ how have you gotten on with the GX9?

Long-term GX7 fan here. I upgraded to a GX9 to take with GX7 on holiday to Tasmania: it didn't handle as well, but I was BLOWN AWAY by the difference the extra MP and lack of AA filter made to my photos. I also found the EVF harder to work with (I am a shortsighted glasses wearer), and the EV dial is harder to turn, but you can reassign that. Despite these issues, I came to like it a lot during my trip.

Out of curiosity, I then bought a used GX8 to compare, and was beguiled by the better EVF, nicer grip and level of customisation. However, I really dislike the fully articulated screen, and I think the IBIS isn't as good with adapted as Olympus.

I have actually listed my GX9 (with grip and eyecup) in the forum sale section, as the GX8 best fills my need for a more rugged body.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I have a GX7, G85, G9 and GX9. The GX7 and GX9 EVFs are roughly the same although it's possible that the GX9's corners are a bit distorted. I've never done a side-by-side comparison. I'm ok switching between all four cameras' EVFs despite the G85 and G9 finders being clearly better.
I love the compact size of the GX9 although I find that the optional large eye cup is a necessity (I have one on both of my GXn cameras) which makes them a bit less compact.
I love the min. shutter speed setting on the GX9; it makes it a much better street photography camera. The MyMenu is also handy for those items that you can't put into the QuickMenu (eg: Constant Focus for video recording). IS-Lock is also a nice feature if you shoot video.
No doubt the GX9 brings some nice features to the table! All I would hope for in addition would be better EVF and at least somewhat larger grip area - make the grip like the GX7 grip and I’d like it!

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Long-term GX7 fan here. I upgraded to a GX9 to take with GX7 on holiday to Tasmania: it didn't handle as well, but I was BLOWN AWAY by the difference the extra MP and lack of AA filter made to my photos. I also found the EVF harder to work with (I am a shortsighted glasses wearer), and the EV dial is harder to turn, but you can reassign that. Despite these issues, I came to like it a lot during my trip.

Out of curiosity, I then bought a used GX8 to compare, and was beguiled by the better EVF, nicer grip and level of customisation. However, I really dislike the fully articulated screen, and I think the IBIS isn't as good with adapted as Olympus.

I have actually listed my GX9 (with grip and eyecup) in the forum sale section, as the GX8 best fills my need for a more rugged body.
Yes, the GX8 form factor, feel in the hand, handling, and EVF are absolutely MARVELOUS! Panasonic created a special body with the GX8.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Absolutely, although I consider it pretty ugly compared with GX7, especially with small lenses - such as O45/1.8 - attached.
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder! I think the GX8 is gorgeous, though it does look better with larger lenses. I think the GX7 looks awesome too. And agree, the 45/1.8 seems more "fitting" on the GX7. Nice to have both! :biggrin:

Real Name
Mike Peters
Which camera are you referring to? And what causes the camera to automatically switch to first curtain electronic? It senses potential shutter shock, I presume.

With the GX8, I would just use whatever type of shutter would be most appropriate for the situation at hand. For me, that’s electronic most of the time. If I’m shooting motion, switch to mechanical. No big deal for me.
I'm referring to the GX8.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom