GX8 owners who added a GX9 ~ how have you gotten on with the GX9?

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I am a confirmed, dyed-in-the-wool, total lover of the GX8. SO much so, that I haven't bought another body since I bought my GX8 when they first came out (4 years ago???)! No subsequent m4/3 body has tempted me since getting the GX8. After year, after year, after year of buying so many new m4/3 bodies (1 or 2 new ones each year!) as they were introduced, it was quite a nice breather to find a m4/3 body that was so incredibly satisfying that I stopped buying new bodies. Saved my pocket book quite a lot, as well!

I would like a second body, much like the GX8, for when I travel and shoot with two bodies. G9 is too big for my liking, and I much prefer rangefinder form factor.

Rather than use my GX7 as a second to my GX8 (I like the 20MP sensor too much), I've been thinking about getting a GX9 to be my second - to be used pretty much only with small zooms or small-ish primes (due to the lack of what I consider to be adequate grip).

Three things I dislike about the GX9 are 1) it's smaller than the GX8, 2) the grip is inferior to the GX8, and 3) the EVF is quite inferior to the GX8. But perhaps when using the GX9 with small primes, I could warm up to it?

So, I'm wondering how my fellow GX8 lovers, who added a GX9 to their kit, have gotten on with the GX9. Any regrets? I know I should probably wait for the GX10 before making any moves, but would like to hear your impressions after living with both the GX8 and the GX9?

If the arrival of the GX10 is a major disappointment in some ways, perhaps a GX9 may be in my future?

Last edited:

Mike Peters

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Peters
I had GX8's and sold them along the way. Eventually got a GX9, and eventually I sold it. I now have GX8's again. The viewfinder was a major issue for me, a glasses wearer. I always felt like I never really knew what was in the frame, or if it was in focus with the GX9, same issue with the GX7. I also much prefer a flip out screen. The only thing I really miss is being able to set a minimum shutter speed in A or P, but that's a minor issue. The size and lack of a place to put my fingers is also an issue with the smaller camera. The form factor of the GX8 is better, for me. However from a final image perspective, they are identical.

laurentfo

New to Mu-43
Hi! I have & use both. I primaly purchased the GX8, but as i only work with prime lenses, i wanted a kind of weding setup, so i purchased the gx9 short after its launch. i moslty use them with the 42.5 Nocticron stuck on the GX8 and the 17.5 Nokton on the GX9.

I really prefer the GX8 for:

its viewfinder (so good that the gx9's one feel like crap ...really)
the flip out screen (to move the focus area with my left thumb)
Handling is better.

The Gx9 handling is not great but as i grab it by the lens (for manual focus reason) it's not an issue for me, and i prefer it for:
the stabilisation
the iso can go up to 3200 (with grain but still sharp in focus details)
the minimum shutter speed is a great feature
the lack of AA filter makes the picture much more sharp (i sometimes use it with the olympus 25mm 1.2 pro and picture are great comparing the result i had with the gx8 -too much haze and not sharp enough for my taste - but on the other end, it's too sharp with the Nocticron: i often see chromatic abheration in my cat's mustache)
the new auto white balance is better

another thing: the display,watch buttons aren't at the same place ...so i often missclick them when i swap camera ...even after a year (but maybe it's my old brain's fault too ;)

i really don't like the ev compensation wheel placement and hardness.

touch tab can be bothering if you have a long nose like me (i often move the focus area with it :/)
You have less Fn configuration buttons

Hope it will help and sorry my bad english writing.

Last edited:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Hi! I have & use both. I primaly purchased the GX8, but as i only work with prime lenses, i wanted a kind of weding setup, so i purchased the gx9 short after its launch. i moslty use them with the 42.5 Nocticron stuck on the GX8 and the 17.5 Nokton on the GX9.

I really prefer the GX8 for:

its viewfinder (so good that the gx9's one feel like crap ...really)
the flip out screen (to move the focus area with my left thumb)
Handling is better.

The Gx9 handling is not great but as i grab it by the lens (for manual focus reason) it's not an issue for me, and i prefer it for:
the stabilisation
the iso can go up to 3200 (with grain but still sharp in focus details)
the minimum shutter speed is a great feature
the lack of AA filter makes the picture much more sharp (i sometimes use it with the olympus 25mm 1.2 pro and picture are great comparing the result i had with the gx8 -too much haze and not sharp enough for my taste)
the new auto white balance is better

another thing: the display,watch buttons aren't at the same place ...so i often missclick them when i swap camera ...even after a year (but maybe it's my old brain's fault too ;)

i really don't like the ev compensation wheel placement and hardness.

Hope it will help and sorry my bad english writing.

laurentfo... welcome to the m4/3 forum! Great gear, great people.

I appreciate your comments. I understand how the EVF on the GX9 would be quite a disappointment after using the GX8. I'm wondering if it's any better than the one in then GX7 (which I do have)?

I've been quite content with the stabilization using the GX8 and PL12-60/2.8-4, but that said... even better stabilization would be quite welcome - especially under very low light situations.

And, as impressed as I have been with the image quality from the GX8 and premium quality glass, your comments about there being a significant increase in image quality due to the lack of an AA filter in the GX9 really piqued my interest!

I am a fan of the Exp Comp wheel on the GX8, and glad that there is one on the GX9.

BTW, your English came across quite well - nothing to apologize for, my friend.

laurentfo

New to Mu-43
Thanks! your question made me suscribe :p

I can't tell about the gx9 evf compared to the gx7 one ...sorry

And the very low light situation is the main reason why i bought the Gx9 (both stabilisation & higher isos).

Mike Peters

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Peters
The GX7, 85 and 9 all use the same viewfinder. It's tragic. Otherwise the GX9 would be a keeper.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I do not have a GX9, but the reported issues with the viewfinder mean I am most likely not ever going to buy one anyway. The GX8 has spoiled me for life. And unfortunately the nearest camera shop that might have a GX9 for me to hold is nowhere near close enough for a trip just to 'have a look' at it. That could be a good thing though - there might be a G9 or something else quite delicious in there, and I'm on a strict diet :D

Shadetree

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Butch Oakey
I do not have a GX9, but the reported issues with the viewfinder mean I am most likely not ever going to buy one anyway. The GX8 has spoiled me for life. And unfortunately the nearest camera shop that might have a GX9 for me to hold is nowhere near close enough for a trip just to 'have a look' at it. That could be a good thing though - there might be a G9 or something else quite delicious in there, and I'm on a strict diet :D
We have the same problem here - no camera shops and the places that do carry cameras don't sell M43 cameras so all but two bodies and lenses in my collection have come by way of mail after a lot of reading about people's opinion. Sure long for the days of local Camara shops - we used to have at least 6 of them and an excellent repair shop, all gone now, really sad....

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I have half of that problem. My local shop carries the DSLR styled bodies in M/43 in both Olympus and Panasonic, but none of the others. No X or Penn models at all. They did offer to get a GX9 in from the Panny rep if I want, but I would be looking used so I declined.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
a friend of mine sold his GX8 due to the shutter issue

he has 2 G9's, a GX9, and a GX85

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
a friend of mine sold his GX8 due to the shutter issue
he has 2 G9's, a GX9, and a GX85

Interesting. Not sure what to learn from this, though.

In 4 years of use, I’ve never experienced a shutter issue of any kind with the GX8. I use electronic shutter. On silent. Never a worry. And, in those 4 years, I’ve never found a need to switch from electronic shutter, personally.

Adding. GX9 or a G9, or EM1 III, or GX10... most likely, I’ll stay with electronic shutter unless and until for some reason I wish to switch to mechanical. Then, I’d just do that for that particular situation.

Mike Peters

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Peters
Interesting. Not sure what to learn from this, though. In 4 years of use, I’ve never experienced a shutter issue. I use electronic shutter for no worries. Never found a need to switch from electronic shutter, personally.

I never shoot electronic shutter. I don't like the possible banding issues with fluorescents or sodium vapor lights, it gets weird. And stuff with lots of movement also shows distortion, don't need that either. With the last firmware update, the camera will automatically switch to first curtain electronic shutter, thus eliminating the problem, which I never experienced myself.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I never shoot electronic shutter. I don't like the possible banding issues with fluorescents or sodium vapor lights, it gets weird. And stuff with lots of movement also shows distortion, don't need that either. With the last firmware update, the camera will automatically switch to first curtain electronic shutter, thus eliminating the problem, which I never experienced myself.

Which camera are you referring to? And what causes the camera to automatically switch to first curtain electronic? It senses potential shutter shock, I presume.

With the GX8, I would just use whatever type of shutter would be most appropriate for the situation at hand. For me, that’s electronic most of the time. If I’m shooting motion, switch to mechanical. No big deal for me.

Last edited:

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have a GX8, G85 and G9 I've used a GX85, lost my G7 and sold my GX9.

Basically I liked the software features and the size of the GX9 but couldn't gel with the EVF esp compared to the EVF's of the others. The EVF of the GX9 and GX85 are supposed to be the same but I don't remember the sort of distortion I saw in the GX9 being in the GX85. With the GX9 it felt like there was something wrong with the diopter adjustment. Even at max it still didn't look right and looked like a glass element was misadjusted and lying across the viewing area. You'd have to move your eye around to make various parts of the image in focus. It might only have come up at max adjustment so those who didn't need it that far might not notice it. But eventually the viewing experience was too unpleasant esp since I had grown up on the excellent EVF's of the G7 and GX8 , which were my first cameras.

mumu

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have a GX7, G85, G9 and GX9. The GX7 and GX9 EVFs are roughly the same although it's possible that the GX9's corners are a bit distorted. I've never done a side-by-side comparison. I'm ok switching between all four cameras' EVFs despite the G85 and G9 finders being clearly better.
I love the compact size of the GX9 although I find that the optional large eye cup is a necessity (I have one on both of my GXn cameras) which makes them a bit less compact.
I love the min. shutter speed setting on the GX9; it makes it a much better street photography camera. The MyMenu is also handy for those items that you can't put into the QuickMenu (eg: Constant Focus for video recording). IS-Lock is also a nice feature if you shoot video.

Latest threads

Top Bottom