Gx8 or wait for GH5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jon, Mar 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jon

jon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2012
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Jonathan
    I love the GH4 as the size fits me well (coming from a Nikon) and I find all the easily accessible controls really great. I have been of a mind to wait for the GH5 to come out but I do not generally do video so am wondering if the Gx8 would suit better though the form factor is different.

Any thoughts as to whether the Gx8 is the ultimate photo camera at present and is the GH5 likely to be a better photo camera or will its improvements major on video matters?

2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Wait, I thought you said that you loved your GH4?

3. Brent

Brent New to Mu-43

Feb 26, 2016
    The GX8 is pretty clearly the ultimate Panasonic still photo camera at the moment. I would expect the GH5 to catch up to it on still photo and general features (sensor, IBIS/Dual IS, improved EVF) and of course push the video limits even further. But we're really just speculating about what the GH5 will include. If you're not in a rush, you really like the GH4 form factor, and you're willing to pay what will no doubt be a higher price for the GH5, you might want to wait and see what it offers. Its controls are likely to be much closer to the GH4's than the GX8's. Or go handle a GX8 if you can find one near you and see how it feels to you.

Personally, I've always felt that there is a significant price premium for a GH camera because of its video capabilities (I don't do much video), and there was a price premium for Oly's E-M1 because of its PDAF capability for 4/3 lenses (which I don't have), so I buy cameras that are a better value for me.

4. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Very likely three will be little to no difference in image quality at high ISO between the gx8 and gh5. I wonder if panny will consider putting in a faster processor? Doesn't seem Panny will consider phase detection. If Panny introduced something like Canon's dual pixel technolongy in the gh5 that would be INSANE!!

I dont think there will be anything really exciting in the gh5 since it appears the new Cmos sensors all have similar performance to the old 16mpx cmos sensors.

It's gonna be interesting as fuji improves in high iso performance and Sony A7 series is gobbling up alot of the camera market for demanding high iso shooters.

GX8 seems to be the flagship performer at this moment in time.

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I am pretty sure the photos you take on the GX8 won't look all that much different than a GH4's. If you are itching for a new toy, why not buy some lenses instead?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

Excellent recommendations here, keep your GH4, upgrade lenses. OR use that money that is burning a hole your pocket for a nice vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Does the OP actually have a GH4, or is he just saying that as a Nikon shooter the size and layout of the GH4 would fit him well? Upon initially reading the post, I got the impression he was going to be moving to m43 from Nikon and wanted the latest and greatest technology in the Panasonic line, but preferred a GH body. Perhaps he can clarify?

8. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

If the mini slr design of the GH4 has greater appeal over the GX8, you may want to look at the G7. It has the slr styling/grip, is the latest in that line, plus the latest AF system. Less costly than GH4 which leaves more money for the important things in life . . . lenses!

9. jon

jon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2012
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Jonathan
    Yes, I have a GH4 and a GM1.

10. jon

jon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2012
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Jonathan
    You could well be right! I have put in an order for a 100-400mm. Just ruminating on the possibilities.

11. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I'm really thankful for the "G" cameras so I don't have to pay a premium for the video features in the GH's. The video guys are really into those cameras, if you check out the video forums they're full of chatter about them.

12. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    In that case I agree with the others who have said you're not gaining much by moving to the GX8 and I doubt the GH5 will bring something earth shattering. The GH4 by all accounts is at the very top of the m43 food chain both for stills and video.

• Like Like x 1
  13. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

Get the GX8. It's here and now. And the price is coming down. Then get the GH5.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. jon

jon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2012
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Jonathan
    Nice idea but can't afford both :frown: A pension only goes so far....

15. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

I think you are in great shape using a GH4 – and a sweet 100-400mm coming soon! Time to get out and play!

16. Sidestreaker

Sidestreaker Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 30, 2015
    I've been using the GH4 for about 8 months since last year and love it to bits.

Just 2 months ago, I had GAS and it got the better of me and I gave in and finally acquired the GX8. Also, because I came across a good deal with the 12-35mm kit.

After using the 2 cameras and comparing them side by side, and though I have enjoy the GX8 tremendously, I didn't really need to acquire the GX8 to improve my photography. For my purpose of photography (street and general), there's isn't much difference with the extra 4mp.

Over the months I've collected a series of prime lens, all 1.7 for 15,25 and 42.5mm and these are permanently in my camera bag with the GX8. It is really my main camera for stills. Not too small to make handling difficult, but small enough to be discreet (works well with the small prime lens). Also, I really love the GX8 viewfinder, much more enjoyable to compose compared to the GH4. the 12-35mm is stuck on my GH4 for video purposes, which is used half the time, but GX8 has been my main still camera so far.

I guess it's really how you use it and your handling preference. It works for me to have these 2 for different purposes. Otherwise, GH4 can do most of what GX8 can anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The GH5 will have 6k video and 6k photo capture which yields 18 MP still frames, which is a pretty dramatic resolution improvement over the GX8s 8 MP photo capture from 4k. Its also likely that the GH5 will also have either a new 4/3 sensor or possibly an APS-C sensor used as a multi aspect sensor, giving better resolution at different crops (I don't think the current 20 MP 4/3 sensor will support 6k). The rumor site says the organic sensor is unlikely.

18. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    If you have just ordered the 100-400 use the money you save by not buying anything more to go on Safari. That will definitely provide better images than another camera in your house.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jon

jon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2012
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Jonathan
    Thanks, I get the feeling from comments and reviews that there is little to be gained from a Gx8 over a GH4 so will probably put that thought to the side and see in due course what a GH5 might offer.

20. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    You can always buy a GX8 after the GH5 comes out,& you've had a chance to appraise its features. And by that stage, the GX8 has probably gotten a little bit cheaper as well. All win. I'd just wait and see personally