1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX8 or GH4?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mattia, Nov 25, 2015.

1. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    With the current rebates (if I order from the UK..) I'm tempted to add a Panasonic body to my MFT 'stable' - mostly for the 4K video side of things. The GX8 is a little more attractive to me - different body style from the E-M1 I already have, higher resoultion than the GH4, tilting viewfinder, and it looks quite elegant in black. However, I'm a bit too much of a video n00b to really assess whether there's any significant downside (on the video end of things) to the GX8 over the 'flagship' GH4.

Ideally I'd upgrade my Sony A7r to a mark II, which would give me in-body 4K recording as well, but I don't think I can swing it unless I happen to get a bigger tax rebate/a few bits of extra income in the coming months. I might be able to trade in the mark I and bring the price down to 2500 euros or so, but that's still more than what buying both a GX8 and a GH4 would cost me, and I suspect I'd be best off waiting for prices to drop or for a mark III - the limiting factor's always going to be me, not the camera after all ;)

2. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    I hope someone weighs in on the GH4 vs GX8 video as I'm kind of confused about it myself.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    You can certainly do more with the GH4 video wise. For me, one of the big downsides of the GX8 is it's 30 minute video limit.

4. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Any idea on how the photo capture from 4k video works on both, ie does one require menu diving to enable while the other does not, etc.?

The ibis on the gX8 seems like it would be helpful but I have not been able to locate any testing for confirmation.

In general, it seems as though the GX8 would be a better buy since it is just introduced while the GH4 is what, 2 years old and rumored to be replaced by a GH5 if one is not giving up too much as far as the video features.

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I can't answer that question. I have a friend who has the GX8 and we have shot video together but only on tripods and not 4K. And, I haven't seen a 4K photo capture. Don't overlook the G7 if you are not doing anything but P&S video with an OIS lens. If you are planning on using IBIS I would recommend the E-M5 II or the E-M1 II when it comes out. If you want video with a Sony then look at the A7S ii and not the A7R ii.

6. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    GX8 if you're mainly a stills shooter. GH4 if you shoot more video and need the expandability it offers.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Great input, thanks.

I've got "regular" stills covered with an EM5. Main attraction here is the 4k video, especially the photo capture as I see some applications for it grabbing stills at 30fps. I don't think that expandability ie advanced amateur level will be a factor.

G7 might make the most sense as a 2nd camera, or even the FZ1000 although I'm a little concerned about max f2.8 and the smaller sensor.

8. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Also keep in mind that with the GH4 being Panasonic's top tier mirrorless camera, it will get firmware updates to improve it (like the v-log not too long ago). Not sure if the G7 gets those. The GH4 will probably have a longer shelf life if that makes any difference to you.

9. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    The Gx8 and Gh4(r for Europe) all continuously record internally, but there is a file size limitation - the camera records every thing when recording only it creates new files when the time limit is reach (4K is like 20 minutes I think) . The Gh4 has two 4k work flows which if you are a movie maker is important, if you do documentaries/ web/ Tv not so much. Panasonic treats the Gx8 as the top stills and Gh4 as the top Video camera in their line. Unless you are willing to use external recording the difference is not something you will notice, if you use 4K (for 4k & on a 1080 timeline). Gh4 has better 1080 codecs but 4K is better than 1080 even if your final product is 1080 IMHO. Probably should hold them to make your choice IMHO.

10. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've just picked up a G7 from Jessops (they still have stores!) and I am very impressed. After the rebate it will work out as £250, which for the amount of camera you get is simply amazing. The G7 is also a bit easier to justify if you want to try 4K. You really need to use Panasonic lenses though to get the most out of any of the Panasonic cameras, with the 12-35mm f/2.8 being the best for handheld video. On the G7 there is a drive mode dial which includes 4K capture.
    I've also briefly owned a GX8 and it just didn't feel comfortable to me, whereas the G7 fits really nicely in the hand. Apart from the looks, the only real differences is a slightly smaller viewfinder on the G7 and the lack of IBIS.

11. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Thanks guys...

Realistically, photos will be the mainstay and video the occasional 'fun' thing on the side - that's been my experience in the past and I doubt it will change hugely even if I do start dabbling in video a little more. The GX8 looks like the better bet there, in part because of the weather sealing over the G7, and the newer sensor. Both are probably slight overkill. Will decide within the next few days if I can actually justify either - sadly can't hold them in hand anywhere local, since the shops here don't carry much Panasonic, and very little Oly.

12. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Also for us here in the pacific NW of the US is weather sealing for the Gx8.

13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi Levster
    I've just done the same - bought a G7 after trying out the GX8
    The G7 is just such great value with the double cash back in the UK working out at about £250.00 !
    It didn't seem to make sense to pay more than double for the GX8 (even with double cash back on that)
    I agree that the ergonomics are superb on the G7 with a superb variety of assignable buttons and dials - and two command dials at last !
    Anyone in the UK interested should note that the Panasonic double cash back offer ends on 06/12/15 and reverts to standard cash back
    G7 bodies are sold out in many UK retailers because of the offer

14. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I own two GH4's and they're fantastic for video AND stills. You already own an E-M1, and the IBIS in that is better than the IBIS in the GX8. The GH4 also has the ability to shoot 96 fps for 4x slow-mo, as well as 60 fps @ 100 (or 200) Mbps vs. 28 Mbps on the GX8. The higher bit rate does a much better job at preventing artifacts if you plan on shooting things with a lot of movement.

Your other option is to wait for the E-M1 II, as it'll certainly have 4K video, and you'll be familiar with the handling and menus.

15. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Do you find the lack of IBIS in the GH4 to be an issue?

16. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Not at all. IBIS is really only helpful for shooting stationary subjects, so shooting anything that's moving at 1/5 of a second is going to be blurry regardless. Even for video, IBIS will likely generate a jello effect, so if you're really looking to get in to shooting video, you should be using a gimbal for moving shots, and a tripod for stationary shots.

Sure, it would be nice to have, but I wouldn't trade the video features and handling of my GH4's for the IBIS in a GX8. I'll have to see what the E-M1 II offers, but even then I'm not certain I would switch (although it would be nice to be able to have fast AF on my 4/3 50-200 when needed, as currently I use it as a MF-only lens).

Everybody has their priorities for what they want to shoot, and for what I shoot, IBIS isn't a big deal.

17. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Thanks. I read a report that the IBIS in the GX8 really does not do much if it is not coupled with one of the image stabilized panasonic lenses, so it shouldn't help much for non-stabilized primes. I haven't found any reports on the effect when used with one of the stabilized panasonic lenses ie it is not clear if GX8+stabilized lens is equal to or better than the olympus IBIS.

18. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The IBIS in the GX8 will definitely help, but say it gives you 2 stops compared to four stops of Oly's 5-axis IBIS. I own the PL15, PL25, and P42.5. Two stops would allow me to shoot at a minimum SS of 1/8s compared to 1/30s (which is already too slow to freeze any incidental movement). For the PL25, it would allow me to shoot at 1/13s compared to 1/50s (1/50s is really the minimum SS that you should use when trying to freeze and incidental movement). My P42.5 is already stabilized, so it doesn't make a difference there.

As for the Dual IS system, I have seem images that show the GX8 + 12-35 to work as well as the E-M1 + 12-40, but again, that really only works situations where there is no movement in the scene.

For what I shoot, I tend to use higher SS anyways, or if I'm shooting longer exposures at base ISO, I'm using a tripod anyways because I'm typically at 5s+ exposure time, where IBIS won't help either.

Again, it depends on the type of subjects you shoot, but for what I shoot both in stills and video, I would definitely prefer to great video and handling characteristics of the GH4 over the GX8.

19. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think that for now, I'll just wait and see how the next gen of bodies turns out. In all honesty I don't strictly need a new camera, so I'm better off keeping the cash to spend on either a trip somewhere cool or some new glass for a trip somehwere cool ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Agreed, a trip to a new location will yield many more pictures than a new camera body.