GX8 IS with non-Panasonic lenses?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Imager, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Imager

Imager New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2016
    I am contemplating a move from an Olympus OM-D E 5M to a Lumix GX8. My concern is that my Oly lenses are not IS since they rely on Oly's marvelous 5 axis in body IS. Sine the GX8 has only 4 axes sensor IS and relies on the lens IS to take care of the other axis, how well are the images stabilized on the GX8 using non-IS lenses?

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    No where near as good as the Olympus IBIS. I have a GX8, E-M1, E-M10 & E-M5.

3. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 27, 2015
    About 1 stop reasonably reliably. 1 1/2 maybe 50% success. Less as FL gets longer than 20-25. That's using non IS Panasonic lenses. Don't own any Olympus ones

4. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    Dual-IS works great with supported lenses; IBIS-only is not as good as Olympus' unfortunately, but better than none at all...

5. hobbes266

hobbes266 Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2014
    Gold Coast, Australia
    One stop or less, I feel. And it doesn't even activate on half press of the shutter button, like Olympus, so it feels like you are getting none.

6. NT7R

NT7R New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2016
    Lakeland, Florida
    Hopefully they will add the half press stabilizer activation in an upcoming firmware update...

7. chaconi

chaconi Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2016
    Very South Florida
    Anyone have a list of all supported lenses for Pany's dual IS?

8. Sarky Git

Sarky Git Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2016
    Panasonic have a list.
    Lumix Firmware Update on Lenses for Dual I.S.
    Only the 12-60 and 14-140ii support Dual IS 2 currently. The 100-400 should get it by the end of the year.
    Hopefully the four which were supposed be updated by February are skipping Dual IS 1 and going straight to 2.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    I was in the same boat as you last week after playing with a GX8 in the store. It's prob the best feeling M43 body I have held. Just felt natural. But the VF with a telephoto was all over the place unlike the smooth stabilized frame on Oly cameras. If they made a successor to the GX8 with 5axis I'd be all over it. But prices on the current model are getting tempting despite that.

10. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    My Em5 mark1 hit the ground hard and is beyond recovery so after a trip to my local camera store i left with a GX8.

I do not own a lens with is, but with my oly 45mm i can handheld down to about 1/2 second with most images coming out sharp - testing inside my house with no wind/weather of course.
    Not as good as the old OMD but its stil better than not having stabilisation...

11. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    This is what riles me. Except for the 12-60mm, all my other lenses are not on the list of lenses that are compatible, or will be made to. My 45-175mm and 100-300mm would benefit a lot more from Dual I.S. than the 12-60mm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.