GX8 IS with non-Panasonic lenses?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Imager, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Imager

Imager New to Mu-43

Aug 23, 2016
    I am contemplating a move from an Olympus OM-D E 5M to a Lumix GX8. My concern is that my Oly lenses are not IS since they rely on Oly's marvelous 5 axis in body IS. Sine the GX8 has only 4 axes sensor IS and relies on the lens IS to take care of the other axis, how well are the images stabilized on the GX8 using non-IS lenses?
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    No where near as good as the Olympus IBIS. I have a GX8, E-M1, E-M10 & E-M5.
  3. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    About 1 stop reasonably reliably. 1 1/2 maybe 50% success. Less as FL gets longer than 20-25. That's using non IS Panasonic lenses. Don't own any Olympus ones
  4. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Dual-IS works great with supported lenses; IBIS-only is not as good as Olympus' unfortunately, but better than none at all...
  5. hobbes266

hobbes266 Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2014
    Gold Coast, Australia
    One stop or less, I feel. And it doesn't even activate on half press of the shutter button, like Olympus, so it feels like you are getting none.
  6. NT7R

NT7R New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2016
    Lakeland, Florida
    Hopefully they will add the half press stabilizer activation in an upcoming firmware update...
  7. chaconi

chaconi Mu-43 Rookie

May 13, 2016
    Very South Florida
    Anyone have a list of all supported lenses for Pany's dual IS?
  8. Sarky Git

Sarky Git Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 6, 2016
    Panasonic have a list.
    Lumix Firmware Update on Lenses for Dual I.S.
    Only the 12-60 and 14-140ii support Dual IS 2 currently. The 100-400 should get it by the end of the year.
    Hopefully the four which were supposed be updated by February are skipping Dual IS 1 and going straight to 2.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    I was in the same boat as you last week after playing with a GX8 in the store. It's prob the best feeling M43 body I have held. Just felt natural. But the VF with a telephoto was all over the place unlike the smooth stabilized frame on Oly cameras. If they made a successor to the GX8 with 5axis I'd be all over it. But prices on the current model are getting tempting despite that.